REO Property Preservation Forum banner

Good Choice Preservation

31K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  livn4christ69 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone i im in contact with Good Choice Preservation in Sarasota fl and i was wondering if anyone has done any work for them ... I am new to the business and i told them that all i want to do is lawn maintenance atm.I have a price list but i am not sure if i can post it here . i would appreciate any feed back thanks again.

G
#4 ·
Kent Whitten said:
Now if only we could get HUD to read that!

Traditional estimating practices do not apply to this profession. Price discussions are very helpful to the property preservation contractor, and there are forums out there that do allow them.

Other than that, research HUD's pricing matrix for your state, and decide how much of a discount off of those prices you can live with.

#5 ·
PropPresPro said:

Traditional estimating practices do not apply to this profession.
Price discussions are very helpful to the property preservation contractor, and there are forums out there that do allow them.

Unfortunately far too many folks refuse to realize this.

#6 ·
Thank you everyone for your advice this site is very helpful well i think i will give good choice a shot since i am new to the business it will teach me the basics.(Hopefully).The prices are really low but lets hope for the best.I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.And i appreciate any advice thanks again

#7 ·
Monster lawns said:
Thank you everyone for your advice this site is very helpful well i think i will give good choice a shot since i am new to the business it will teach me the basics.(Hopefully).The prices are really low but lets hope for the best.I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.And i appreciate any advice thanks again

Good luck, you are going to need every ounce of luck you can get in this industry.

You'll also go broke at their rates.

#8 ·
Well i just tried to do all the insurance stuff i needed to do to get them on and it will cost be me even more money 100 a month more, plus the fee i have to pay for the software they use i know i said i was going to give them a try, but now that i just added the extra money i have to shell out i think I'll look around for a different client. I will be losing a lot more than i thought .

#9 ·
Monster lawns said:
Well i just tried to do all the insurance stuff i needed to do to get them on and it will cost be me even more money 100 a month more, plus the fee i have to pay for the software they use i know i said i was going to give them a try, but now that i just added the extra money i have to shell out i think I'll look around for a different client. I will be losing a lot more than i thought .

Seriously you'll be many times better off getting local customers that you can meet face to face with and do their lawn/grounds maint.

#11 ·
GTX63 said:
Hmmm, I can do grass cuts for this regional for $14 per yard, minus special insurance, software fees, chargebacks and my overhead (!!!!!) or I can do some of the same type properties for the local broker for 5 times that. I'm confused....:blink:
You assume you will get work from the local broker. You have a better chance of posting a price list on this forum and not getting smacked down.

#12 ·
PropPresPro said:
Now if only we could get HUD to read that!

Traditional estimating practices do not apply to this profession. Price discussions are very helpful to the property preservation contractor, and there are forums out there that do allow them.

Other than that, research HUD's pricing matrix for your state, and decide how much of a discount off of those prices you can live with.
There isn't anything special or traditional about estimating. You have overhead that needs to be covered, you have payroll that needs to be covered, you have growth that needs to be covered, and you have profit that needs to be made. How it is any different? Either you can cover those items or you: go bankrupt, have angry employees (or go hungry yourself), don't plan on buying anything new or to make your job better or more profitable, or you don't like to save for a rainy day or your later years.

I don't see why P&P guys think that their profession is special and the normal rules of business don't apply. It seems to me that there are better ways to make money, but you would rather take what someone gives you and complain about the pay and their expectations you will forever be miserable.

G
#13 ·
PropPresPro said:
Traditional estimating practices do not apply to this profession.
Monster lawns said:
Wow. Apparently one of those statements is way off base. I wonder which? :whistling

G
#16 ·
TNTSERVICES said:
There isn't anything special or traditional about estimating. You have overhead that needs to be covered, you have payroll that needs to be covered, you have growth that needs to be covered, and you have profit that needs to be made. How it is any different? Either you can cover those items or you: go bankrupt, have angry employees (or go hungry yourself), don't plan on buying anything new or to make your job better or more profitable, or you don't like to save for a rainy day or your later years.

I don't see why P&P guys think that their profession is special and the normal rules of business don't apply. It seems to me that there are better ways to make money, but you would rather take what someone gives you and complain about the pay and their expectations you will forever be miserable.
TNT, since you quoted my post in your response, i can only assume that your comments were directed at me. So I will respond, and I will attempt to type slowly and clearly.

I did not say that there is something special about estimating. That is solely your fabrication.

My estimating practices are very traditional. I estimate jobs the way my father and other mentors taught me, which skill I'm certain they learned from someone before them, and so on. I don't know what your definition of 'traditional' is, but this fits well within my definition.

"How it is any different" you ask:
Well, I am a licensed general contractor and have been since 1995, for many years before that I worked for a few very knowledgeable contractors and developers that taught me by both example and experience things that not only gave me the ability to survive in the construction industry, but also to thrive. I have been involved in the design, ESTIMATING, construction, and supervision of hundreds of commercial & residential structures in one form or another. I am including this part of my resume to qualify my expertise in job estimation.
For the last 3 1/2 years in addition to construction contracting, I have been doing property preservation work for local banks, credit unions, investors, and a few different national companies (some as a temporary vendor, and one as a full time vendor). I am including this part of my resume to show that I am by no means an expert when it comes to property preservation (despite my forum name!).
Simply put, P&P job estimation is different in that the final numbers are dictated from the time you sign on with any particular company, either as a discount percentage or a flat rate. Traditionally, I do not estimate jobs that way, do you?

As for your comment that I (remember, you addresses my post) complain about the pay or expectations of any customer that I have agreed to complete work for, what are you basing that on? I do not publicly complain about my customers, never have, never will.

Also, thank you for your concern about my financial well being, current and future, but it too is unfounded. I am doing well, current and future.

Finally, I and others frequent this forum for insight and advice regarding this relatively new and evolving profession of property preservation. Do you have any experience in this field? Do you have anything constructive to add to this forum? If so, I look forward to reading it in the future.

#18 ·
*stands and applaudes* :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it any better PropPresPro...really, I couldn't, cuz I ain't that good wif words. :jester:

G
#20 ·
envisionland said:
I received an email from them. Looks like from the posts they don't pay so well. I replied but haven't heard anything back. Did someone mention on here that you have to BUY their software?
I worked for them for awhile,pay was crappy but check was consistent.I used them to get better in the field and ditched them when I finally got in with nationals and brokers.

They have LPS,MCS,Corelogic work

G
#21 ·
Crazy

I was contacted by Good Choice and they sent me a price list.

I called them back and asked if the prices were what they would reimburse for materials because surely they cant really think someone would go and change out a lock set and do it for that price including parts and labor.

Technician + insurance + workmans comp = more than they pay.....notice I did not even mention our company profit.

I told them they can add us to their contractor list but every time they wanted us to go to a job it would be our minimum charge plus materials and that's when they said maybe we are not a good fit for their company.

If I paid someone minimum wage I don't think I could turn a profit based on their pay schedule. This begs to ask what is a good fit for their company? Maybe a teenager living at home with mommy looking for extra cash. They could ride their bike over to the house and change a lock.

#22 ·
wmyers4u said:
If I paid someone minimum wage I don't think I could turn a profit based on their pay schedule. This begs to ask what is a good fit for their company? Maybe a teenager living at home with mommy looking for extra cash.
That may not be what they are looking for but that is about as accurate a discription of the person they will probably get.

#23 ·
We are looking into getting on with them because it seems like at least they will send us a check. We have been working for local brokers for the last 3 years and for the 2nd time in those 3 years, we are getting shafted for a HEAP of money! This time to the tune of $15K because we have worked like dogs for them for the last year and been short paid. Now it seems that they are going under and we are SOL. It doesn't matter if someone says they will pay you $50 for a wint if you never get a check!

#24 ·
We are looking into getting on with them because it seems like at least they will send us a check. We have been working for local brokers for the last 3 years and for the 2nd time in those 3 years, we are getting shafted for a HEAP of money! This time to the tune of $15K because we have worked like dogs for them for the last year and been short paid. Now it seems that they are going under and we are SOL. It doesn't matter if someone says they will pay you $50 for a wint if you never get a check!

Actually, you are the business model. They find fellows who do the work extremely cheap and then don't bother paying them. Then they go under and start another LLC. I refuse to allow late payments at all, they don't pay, I find something else to do. Keep it small and controlable. Thats why they usually don't hire licensed general contractors who would lean the properties. They lower the rates till only the very basic crews would apply and then they screw you over. Wash and repeat. I don't trust anyone, they will destroy your credit if you let them.

Its getting worse all the time. Just look at CL....

#27 ·
We had 2 people that wanted to pay late.

Each time it was a smaller amount... $1,000 or less.
We said lien, they said give us 24 hours.
Pay was never in full.... but they aren't in the industry anymore and we just by-passed them!

We will start small with every company. Never let it get over a few grand.
You want more work done, that's not a problem.
I just need to start seeing some checks first.

There are too many rip-offs in this industry.

#29 ·
Nationals are getting this way too. If the industry tackes the 50% drop that is anticipated to happen because of Fanny and Freddie then we shall see alot of contracts

going late
Crap quality
Nationals spending more money chasing a quality contractor to get it done right the first time.

Nationals I have this to say

" How much time have you spent getting low ball people to do the work just to have it get jacked up "?? "Then you spend more limited resources to remedy it??" If you would only pay what is RIGHT and kick the bad apples to the curb or DO what you threaten.

Yes I know my spelling and grammar suck but my ethics and business sense DOES NOT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.