You guys having any luck getting roof approvals from HUD?? - REO Property Preservation Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
South Reef Propert Pres
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
You guys having any luck getting roof approvals from HUD??

So this is my situation. The company that give me all my work takes 25% off the top of all bids. So needless to say a 10 k roof bid plus a grand or two for me and finally another 25% on top comes out to more than huds going to approve.

I'm not never familiar with their pricing for roofs but apparently the company I work for days they don't have much issue getting them approved.

Now I got a email sent back that hud is asking for a break down off all costs from the demo, materials, labor, etc.

Can you guys help me at all or tell me your experiences?? Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southreefpp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 457
Thanks: 2
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southreefpp View Post
So this is my situation. The company that give me all my work takes 25% off the top of all bids. So needless to say a 10 k roof bid plus a grand or two for me and finally another 25% on top comes out to more than huds going to approve.

I'm not never familiar with their pricing for roofs but apparently the company I work for days they don't have much issue getting them approved.

Now I got a email sent back that hud is asking for a break down off all costs from the demo, materials, labor, etc.

Can you guys help me at all or tell me your experiences?? Thanks!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are you doing the work yourself or hiring a roofer?
madxtreme01 is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
South Reef Propert Pres
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hiring a roofer... We are just a preservation company.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southreefpp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
South Reef Propert Pres
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madxtreme01 View Post
are you doing the work yourself or hiring a roofer?

So we would add 1k or so and the add 25% on top of that for our customer.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southreefpp is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM
How I wanna be a PP Pro
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,103
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,277 Times in 562 Posts
you mean that you add on 35% plus your markup. If you discount is 25% you can't mark up only 25% or you are in the hole.

Just be honest with your bids

A 10,000 roof job by a licensed and insured Exterior Company breaks down as this:

$10,000 for Roofer
$ 1,000 Supervisory markup (your fee)

= $11,000 job
x 35% (Offset discount since Roofer does not accept any such nonsense as a 25% discount to XYZ Company)

Gross bid $14,850

Banks love this crap! They go ballistic to know that you have to markup to net the amount needed to do the job.
Wannabe is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wannabe For This Useful Post:
mtmtnman (01-14-2016), PPCADDY (01-13-2016)
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 457
Thanks: 2
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
I don't know where you are located or what your definition of a preservation company is, but I am a licenced contractor and although I only work on foreclosed properties I am also a preservation company but also a licensed contractor. In NJ I can't do anything other than lock changes, winterizations, or landscaping without that. So for me to higher a roofer would be a complete waste. However I would normally hire a couple of day laborers and do the job myself. I know how to do roofs, I just choose not to risk my live walking on them, so I just supervise and make sure the job is being done correctly. That 10k roof costs me $3500 and I couldn't be happier. Learn the trade and make your profits much higher.
madxtreme01 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
South Reef Propert Pres
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by madxtreme01 View Post
I don't know where you are located or what your definition of a preservation company is, but I am a licenced contractor and although I only work on foreclosed properties I am also a preservation company but also a licensed contractor. In NJ I can't do anything other than lock changes, winterizations, or landscaping without that. So for me to higher a roofer would be a complete waste. However I would normally hire a couple of day laborers and do the job myself. I know how to do roofs, I just choose not to risk my live walking on them, so I just supervise and make sure the job is being done correctly. That 10k roof costs me $3500 and I couldn't be happier. Learn the trade and make your profits much higher.

We're in Florida and I'm not crazy about putting up all that $$$. I know you have to have a contractors license to pull the permit and do the job but who would come down on me if I higher a roofer and payed them to do the job? I told the company I work for that we are not allowed to do them since we are not a gc. They said we don't care if you hire someone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southreefpp is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
GTX63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Your House Soon...Soon
Posts: 3,186
Thanks: 676
Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southreefpp View Post
I told the company I work for that we are not allowed to do them since we are not a gc. They said we don't care if you hire someone.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's kind of what they do.
GTX63 is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
South Reef Propert Pres
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: South Florida
Posts: 30
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
That's kind of what they do.

Is it illegal or risky to hire them to do a job if I'm not a contractor? Who would I have to watch out for?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Southreefpp is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 01:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 457
Thanks: 2
Thanked 70 Times in 56 Posts
I don't think you could get in trouble as long as you hired a licensed contractor, but you could get in trouble doing any work on a property without a gc license. I mean we do more than lock changes, trash outs, and grass cuts.
madxtreme01 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the REO Property Preservation Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome