Reading between the lines - REO Property Preservation Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Splinterpicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west coast USA
Posts: 616
Thanks: 53
Thanked 213 Times in 135 Posts
Reading between the lines

We are in interesting times NO doubt. Many "Nationals" are comming and going. Pricing has appeared to be bottoming out. AS I look at trends and see that the nationals who had forsight and intelligence have put away money to "float" them through these slow times. Others have not. Slow and perhaps non receiving of payment is going to become more common place till the pace picks up again in perhaps 2015. 2015 is when I was told, by a Realtor, the REO industry is going to be back on track and homes getting put on the market regularly. What have you been noticing in your areas?? Look at the forclosure listings in the paper, visit realty trac regularly, and DS News. I have been in this long enough to know the cycle and I believe that we are starting to round the horn to perhaps better pricing or pricing stabilization. All we can do is control our overhead and NO more. The nationals have to realize that with out us they are NOT. Damaged reputations and business life cycles come into play also. Introduction , Growth, Maturity and finally decline or Out of business are the business cycles. We as Independent contractors are fortunate enough to be able to tell the nationals to take a hike and their tactics have led to many Indys to do so. I for one. Hold fast and strong because if it gets busy we are going to have to PUSH back with vengeful force and take the reigns to prove, WE not they, are in control.

Comments welcomed and encouraged

Before I forget : IT HAS BEEN A PLEASURE TO ENGAGE AND INTERACT WITH YOU OVER THE PAST YEAR. HAPPIEST OF HOLIDAYS TO YOU !!
Splinterpicker is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Splinterpicker For This Useful Post:
68W30 (12-08-2012), Cleanupman (12-07-2012), JFMURFY (12-09-2012), STARBABY (12-07-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Business Consultant
 
Cleanupman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Silver Springs, Nevada
Posts: 1,380
Thanks: 322
Thanked 564 Times in 339 Posts
I agree....

For those of you that feel tha I'm blowing wind up your skirt...I have not accepted a work order in 7 weeks as had I it would have created a deficit on our books...If you think the sounds crazy.....Before you accept another work order that will create a deficit ask yourself...
How long is going to take me to go broke spendong 120 to get 9- or 50 to get 40...then ask how long will it take me to go broke finding odds and ends gigs to get by...

As Indy's as Splinter has so fondly refered to us as...we are independant and we do have a say and some control...
It is time we stand together and allow our voices to be heard...
I encourage every one to consider joining the NPPG so we have a voice.

My Chirstmas gift to the industry...Dec. Meet and greet...this event even thoug local to the Reno Nevada area will have a live feed so everyone can tune in Please take time out of your day to listen...I bet there is not one of you that will die if you take an hour or so to tune and listen...
Happy Christmas All.....:whistlin g2:

Aladay LLC
Property Preservation
New Business Consultant
Custom Glass&Wood
Cleanupman is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 537
Thanks: 21
Thanked 118 Times in 76 Posts
hi

i totally agree we all have to stand for something or fall for anything happy holidays to all
david is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 847
Thanks: 664
Thanked 247 Times in 151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanupman View Post
I agree....

For those of you that feel tha I'm blowing wind up your skirt...I have not accepted a work order in 7 weeks as had I it would have created a deficit on our books...If you think the sounds crazy.....Before you accept another work order that will create a deficit ask yourself...
How long is going to take me to go broke spendong 120 to get 9- or 50 to get 40...then ask how long will it take me to go broke finding odds and ends gigs to get by...

As Indy's as Splinter has so fondly refered to us as...we are independant and we do have a say and some control...
It is time we stand together and allow our voices to be heard...
I encourage every one to consider joining the NPPG so we have a voice.

My Chirstmas gift to the industry...Dec. Meet and greet...this event even thoug local to the Reno Nevada area will have a live feed so everyone can tune in Please take time out of your day to listen...I bet there is not one of you that will die if you take an hour or so to tune and listen...
Happy Christmas All.....:whistlin g2:
Business 101: It does not matter what your into, if it don't make dollars it don't make sense! If you don't make money at A, find a B that will! Most of us have another source of income....
JDRM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JDRM For This Useful Post:
BPWY (12-07-2012)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 AM
Contractor
 
JFMURFY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 486
Thanks: 81
Thanked 151 Times in 79 Posts
There are those on this site with the age, skill-set, stamina, an knowledge to know profits from just spinning your wheels to pass green stuff through your books, and it would be advantageous to those just starting out in the business to swallow your pride and listen to these guys. We're all never too old to learn a new trick in this business...that's what we're here for.

For those of ya'll that believe in the banks propaganda..."We'll give you a higher volume" if you give us a lower price"... that is just not true. Do the numbers it just doesn't add-up. Increased work load means increased costs, and if you’re not putting' 20%-30% away after those costs on every job, it's a loser.

I understand in these trying times something is better than nothing, but it's not because eventually over time your bank accounts will dry-up and then it's too late. I turn away non-profitable work every day, do I still have clients,… I do. Get good at what you do, and as the scabs fall by the way side, you'll get the calls, and this time it's on your terms, which is the way it should be.
JFMURFY is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JFMURFY For This Useful Post:
68W30 (12-09-2012), BRADSConst (12-09-2012), garylaps (12-09-2012), Gypsos (12-09-2012), JDRM (12-09-2012), mtmtnman (12-09-2012)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 123
Thanked 504 Times in 253 Posts
As far as not doing work that is not profitable I completely agree. However, there are those who do not agree with this belief.

I went to the training Cyprexx offered a few days ago and made a comment that routinely rolls off my tongue without thinking when giving advice and got the Cyprexx people righteously pissed at me and got me a dirty look or seven.

The topic was bidding and how to calculate bags of leaves and CY of leaves for a yard and how to get the coordinators to agree to the price before the work is done so they will not argue about the price after it is done.

I was a construction estimator for over 10 years, so for me it all boils down to figuring out a formula. I have done this and it is spot on. I have checked it the hard way against the number of bags I raked up after I calculated it.

Several people were offering suggestions that were way wrong, so I laid out the math of how to calculate the CY of leaves for a yard and how I convert it to bags.

Then I stated that you needed to base your price off of the needs of your company and if they do not want to pay it then simply do not do it.

Apparently saying to not do work if they do not want to pay for it is the wrong thing to say in front of Cyprexx managment and the Fannie May Rep.

By the way the formula is simple.

First get the CY of leaves: (length x width x depth) / 27 = CY

Then CY / 2 = number of bags. (for standard large trash bags)
Gypsos is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Gypsos For This Useful Post:
JFMURFY (12-09-2012)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
STARBABY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: kentucky
Posts: 681
Thanks: 582
Thanked 197 Times in 137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsos View Post
As far as not doing work that is not profitable I completely agree. However, there are those who do not agree with this belief.

I went to the training Cyprexx offered a few days ago and made a comment that routinely rolls off my tongue without thinking when giving advice and got the Cyprexx people righteously pissed at me and got me a dirty look or seven.

The topic was bidding and how to calculate bags of leaves and CY of leaves for a yard and how to get the coordinators to agree to the price before the work is done so they will not argue about the price after it is done.

I was a construction estimator for over 10 years, so for me it all boils down to figuring out a formula. I have done this and it is spot on. I have checked it the hard way against the number of bags I raked up after I calculated it.

Several people were offering suggestions that were way wrong, so I laid out the math of how to calculate the CY of leaves for a yard and how I convert it to bags.

Then I stated that you needed to base your price off of the needs of your company and if they do not want to pay it then simply do not do it.

Apparently saying to not do work if they do not want to pay for it is the wrong thing to say in front of Cyprexx managment and the Fannie May Rep.

By the way the formula is simple.

First get the CY of leaves: (length x width x depth) / 27 = CY

Then CY / 2 = number of bags. (for standard large trash bags)

how did you like the there prices? they change all the time but never up
STARBABY is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 123
Thanked 504 Times in 253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STARBABY View Post
how did you like the there prices? they change all the time but never up
So far, the main thing they have going for them is they pay once you agree on a price and they give me some latitude as to scheduling my work.

I already told them if they cut prices much more I am out.
Gypsos is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NEWYAWK
Posts: 343
Thanks: 567
Thanked 162 Times in 88 Posts
First get the CY of leaves: (length x width x depth) / 27 = CY

Then CY / 2 = number of bags. (for standard large trash bags)

then fire up air compressor fill top bags half with leaves half air and tell them what a great deal they got
68W30 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 68W30 For This Useful Post:
JFMURFY (12-11-2012)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 847
Thanks: 664
Thanked 247 Times in 151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.biasi View Post
First get the CY of leaves: (length x width x depth) / 27 = CY

Then CY / 2 = number of bags. (for standard large trash bags)

then fire up air compressor fill top bags half with leaves half air and tell them what a great deal they got
LMAO........
JDRM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JDRM For This Useful Post:
Cleanupman (12-10-2012)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the REO Property Preservation Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome