Allowable time for completion of WOs - REO Property Preservation Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 123
Thanked 504 Times in 253 Posts
Allowable time for completion of WOs

It has been my experience that you are typically given between 2 and 5 days to complete a work order, depending on the work being performed.

I met a guy who is just starting out and he has told me that one of the biggest issues he has is that he is required to complete all work orders for bids requests, recuts and routine maids the same day he gets them.

He is working for a regional that claims to have a direct contract with four banks. He told me they are Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo and one other I cannot recall.

I know some you have worked directly for these banks so you are familiar with the timelines they require.

The area he is required to cover takes about 2 hours in good traffic to go from one end to the other.

Same day service seems a bit extreme to me, not to mention quite unreasonable.

So is this regional blowing smoke or is this type of timeline they require?
Gypsos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 588
Thanks: 192
Thanked 255 Times in 114 Posts
Most of our orders are due within 24 hours. This is something that does bug me but I understand that it comes with the territory.
However; I know that when I do get approvals I will contact my client if it is a larger job. Recently they sent me one when in the bid I said it would take 3 days to finish. Well guess what I get the order on Friday afternoon and do on Sunday. Sorry, but not happening.
As far as same day, there is really no way to do that when you have to schedule other jobs. Otherwise you need to leave them as your one and only customer in case they call.
If they want same day service, then the only way I would do it, is if they paid me a retainer. Get paid a retainer to cover your day and then also paid for the work order.
brm1109 is offline  
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
PropPresPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Big Sky Country
Posts: 1,214
Thanks: 423
Thanked 930 Times in 466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brm1109 View Post
. . .As far as same day, there is really no way to do that when you have to schedule other jobs. Otherwise you need to leave them as your one and only customer in case they call.
If they want same day service, then the only way I would do it, is if they paid me a retainer. Get paid a retainer to cover your day and then also paid for the work order.
Sounds to me like # brm1109 is having dillusional glimpses of reality and will need to have it's thinking re-readjusted. It's probably due to dehydration.

Please wait right where you are brm1109, your handler will be there in 5 minutes with some refreshing kool-aid!

Iíve already told you more than I know.
PropPresPro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 751
Thanks: 123
Thanked 504 Times in 253 Posts
He wants me to pick up some of the work in my area. I told him it would have to be on a case by case basis.

We had a very warm winter this year and the grass is already growing.

Last year I did not even put the mower in the trailer until March. This year I already got lawns that have to be cut every two weeks.

Looks like it is going to be a good year for lawn cuts.
Gypsos is offline  
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Contractor
 
JFMURFY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 486
Thanks: 81
Thanked 151 Times in 79 Posts
Not for nothing, any outfits looking for same day service are amateurs.
As we all know there are 24/hrs in the day... of which most of take at least 5-8 hours to sleep...Leaving 16 or so hours to get work done. I for one won't take a job with 1-2 day turns as it leads to sloppy work and opens me up for it not to be done right and inevitable "kick-backs".
It's a game and especially when your bidding the work, insert a completion time in your Standard "Terms", and if they accept you bid, but want things done outside your time frame...advise that a surcharge is in store.
JFMURFY is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JFMURFY For This Useful Post:
68W30 (01-17-2013)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsos View Post
It has been my experience that you are typically given between 2 and 5 days to complete a work order, depending on the work being performed.

I met a guy who is just starting out and he has told me that one of the biggest issues he has is that he is required to complete all work orders for bids requests, recuts and routine maids the same day he gets them.

He is working for a regional that claims to have a direct contract with four banks. He told me they are Chase, Bank of America, Wells Fargo and one other I cannot recall.

I know some you have worked directly for these banks so you are familiar with the timelines they require.

The area he is required to cover takes about 2 hours in good traffic to go from one end to the other.

Same day service seems a bit extreme to me, not to mention quite unreasonable.

So is this regional blowing smoke or is this type of timeline they require?
I'd say this is B.S. "They" are taking advantage of him because he doesn't know any better. While I haven't worked directly for any of the banks mentioned above, I have worked for different regionals that gave me 48 hrs on maids and bid requests and 2 to 5 days for recuts. The maids always came out the same week every month and I would get a "friendly" email a day or two in advance saying they received from their client and and were processing them to send to the field.

I'd bet a case of beer that this regional just wants them turned ASAP so they can process the work orders in a timely fashion at their leasure. Heaven forbid they'd have to add a couple processors that may not have a full 8 hours of work because their workload isn't steady and uniform.

I'd tell them to go pack sand. There is no money made in bid requests for a measly trip charge anyway. Especially when you quickly figure out the the regional is just doing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th or whatever number of stupid requests to keep the original company honest. They don't get approved. I'll be damned if the 3 lowest paying services (maids, recuts and bid requests) are going to dictate my life.



BRADSConst is offline  
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
 
BPWY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MT
Posts: 4,096
Thanks: 1,470
Thanked 774 Times in 468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADSConst View Post

I'd tell them to go pack sand. There is no money made in bid requests for a measly trip charge anyway. Especially when you quickly figure out the the regional is just doing 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 7th or whatever number of stupid requests to keep the original company honest. They don't get approved. I'll be damned if the 3 lowest paying services (maids, recuts and bid requests) are going to dictate my life.



You just hit on some thing that has been my long term thinking.


By the time you get to the second and for certain the third regional in the food chain bid approvals will dry up any way.
The guy working directly for the national will end up getting most of the bids because the levels of markup between the
work getting done and the bank paying for the work is much lower than the slug 3 or 4 guys down the line could possibly do.

Professionals are people who can do their job when they don't feel like it.
Amateurs are people that can't do their job even when they do feel like it.
BPWY is offline  
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
How I wanna be a PP Pro
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,103
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,277 Times in 562 Posts
Fannie has 10 days per routine service& on repair it is 10 days + 1 additional day per $1000 of work ($50k restoration means 60 days to complete).

The lions share of banks follow the same timetable.
Wannabe is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Wannabe For This Useful Post:
Expat (01-17-2013)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPWY View Post
You just hit on some thing that has been my long term thinking.


By the time you get to the second and for certain the third regional in the food chain bid approvals will dry up any way.
The guy working directly for the national will end up getting most of the bids because the levels of markup between the
work getting done and the bank paying for the work is much lower than the slug 3 or 4 guys down the line could possibly do.
Exactly! I have personally (at the same property within a 2 week window) bid the exact same items on a regional bid request that I bid for a national on the initial service. You will never guess who I got the bid approval from . I have replace numerous roofs for nationals. I have never replaced a roof for a regional. The math is really quite simple on large ticket items like roofing. Take a $7k roof that the national adds 25% to. Take that exact same roof that the regional adds 25% to and then the national marks it up 25%. The banks aren't stupid. They know how to get it done the cheapest.



BRADSConst is offline  
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
Fannie has 10 days per routine service& on repair it is 10 days + 1 additional day per $1000 of work ($50k restoration means 60 days to complete).

The lions share of banks follow the same timetable.
Thanks. Someone's been sand bagging me one this one. I've been told repeatedly FNMA is 3 days + 1 day per $1000. Not counting Sundays and holidays but it does count Saturdays. Time to revisit that discussion.



BRADSConst is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the REO Property Preservation Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome