Glass repair and Safeguard - REO Property Preservation Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 12
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Glass repair and Safeguard

Recently we have had a couple of situations where we bid ro repair double pane windows which subsequently got slashed. when we call that we cannot do it for that price the client (safeguard) tells us to just put in a single pane. When we ask to get written approval, the person on the phone gets impatient and says "just do it" or we will re-assign the work (and other work). I am afraid that if we put in a single pane it will come back to bite us as we bid a double pane and a singlepane is not what the investor wants. Does anyone else have these issues?
PPCMgr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 124
Thanks: 78
Thanked 41 Times in 29 Posts
Wink

Yes! IMHO this one is an easy fix Here's how I deal with this particular Safeguard kink ....

1)Accept that they are not going to approve or pay us to do work like installing new double paned glass, and bid for what Safeguard is asking us to do. Give yourself some peace of mind by stating the scope of work in your bid; "reglaze 1 broken window 32x29" using single paned glass" or "install 1 new sheet of single paned glass 32x29" etc.

2)Bid over the allowable or price list amount, state that on your bid and also state why you feel it is justified. You can do this for ALL Safeguard bids but here I'll just stick to window reglazing.

"Reglaze 1 broken window 32x29" using single pane glass. Unable to complete per allowable due to increased cost of materials needed."

or

"Reglaze 1 broken window 32x29" installing new single paned glass. Unable to complete per price list due to increased cost of materials needed. Special order glass is required due to size, this has increased the bid amount needed."


Like I said use this for any Safeguard bids you want. Bid over the allowable price and state that you can not complete per allowable and why. Need a chainsaw? Requires commercial equipment? Going to use a bush hog? Extra labor needed to move from rear fenced yard? Glass shop required due to size? Say so! If you give this statement on your bids you'll see alot less of those "your bid has been reduced" notices.
ontimepres is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ontimepres For This Useful Post:
PPCMgr (02-01-2013), Zoly (04-18-2013)
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator
 
GTX63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Your House Soon...Soon
Posts: 3,186
Thanks: 676
Thanked 2,249 Times in 1,094 Posts
Stay in touch with the listing agent so they know who is responsible when work is completed below what the standards should be.
GTX63 is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTX63 For This Useful Post:
68W30 (02-01-2013), PPCMgr (02-01-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 12
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontimepres View Post
Yes! IMHO this one is an easy fix Here's how I deal with this particular Safeguard kink ....

1)Accept that they are not going to approve or pay us to do work like installing new double paned glass, and bid for what Safeguard is asking us to do. Give yourself some peace of mind by stating the scope of work in your bid; "reglaze 1 broken window 32x29" using single paned glass" or "install 1 new sheet of single paned glass 32x29" etc.

2)Bid over the allowable or price list amount, state that on your bid and also state why you feel it is justified. You can do this for ALL Safeguard bids but here I'll just stick to window reglazing.

"Reglaze 1 broken window 32x29" using single pane glass. Unable to complete per allowable due to increased cost of materials needed."

or

"Reglaze 1 broken window 32x29" installing new single paned glass. Unable to complete per price list due to increased cost of materials needed. Special order glass is required due to size, this has increased the bid amount needed."


Like I said use this for any Safeguard bids you want. Bid over the allowable price and state that you can not complete per allowable and why. Need a chainsaw? Requires commercial equipment? Going to use a bush hog? Extra labor needed to move from rear fenced yard? Glass shop required due to size? Say so! If you give this statement on your bids you'll see alot less of those "your bid has been reduced" notices.

Thanks for the reply. And we will be more carefull with our bids. We usually do state the reason why we'd bid over the allowable. In this case we didn't simply because we have always bid to reglaze double pane windows with the same. What we really don't appreciate is Safeguard refusing to give us a written bid approval for using single pane windows, instead the just took our bid for dual pane windows and reduced it with a verbal "use single pane". I can almost guarantee that later on Safeguard will then charge us back te price of dual pane windows plus our pay for installing the single pane windows. We have worked too many years to know full well how some of these clients (especially safeguard) work. We have worked for Safeguard for about two years now but recently they have become far worse about these kind of things.
PPCMgr is offline  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 7
Thanks: 12
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
Stay in touch with the listing agent so they know who is responsible when work is completed below what the standards should be.
Thanks for the reply, I can see how this could help but how much influence does the listing agent really have?
PPCMgr is offline  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMgr View Post
Thanks for the reply. And we will be more carefull with our bids. We usually do state the reason why we'd bid over the allowable. In this case we didn't simply because we have always bid to reglaze double pane windows with the same. What we really don't appreciate is Safeguard refusing to give us a written bid approval for using single pane windows, instead the just took our bid for dual pane windows and reduced it with a verbal "use single pane". I can almost guarantee that later on Safeguard will then charge us back te price of dual pane windows plus our pay for installing the single pane windows. We have worked too many years to know full well how some of these clients (especially safeguard) work. We have worked for Safeguard for about two years now but recently they have become far worse about these kind of things.
If you bid it on your letterhead and they changed it from dual pane to single pane and changed the amount, that's fraud. No way in hell I'm completing something I didn't bid for an amount thats not mine. They can ask me to, and I may, but they can not require it.



BRADSConst is offline  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMgr View Post
Recently we have had a couple of situations where we bid ro repair double pane windows which subsequently got slashed. when we call that we cannot do it for that price the client (safeguard) tells us to just put in a single pane. When we ask to get written approval, the person on the phone gets impatient and says "just do it" or we will re-assign the work (and other work). I am afraid that if we put in a single pane it will come back to bite us as we bid a double pane and a singlepane is not what the investor wants. Does anyone else have these issues?
I don't respond at all to threats. Nobody, except my wife, gets away with telling to "just do it". The "other" work they're threatening to take away just isn't worth the PITA factor based on what most of these Nats and Regionals want to pay for anyway.

The first time this ever happened to me would be the last. I'd either not work for them or download the conversation recording app and start every conversation with "This call is being recorded for quality control purposes". My attorney can then be "quality control".



BRADSConst is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BRADSConst For This Useful Post:
Cleanupman (02-01-2013)
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 124
Thanks: 78
Thanked 41 Times in 29 Posts
I agree, the person who refused to send you a poc was rude and out of line. Seems like about 1/2 the staff at Safeguard has this attitude and want to do nothing to help you. When that happens I literally hang up, and call back! You're likely to get a different rep. who will be willing to help you and has the integrity to back up their statements with a poc.
ontimepres is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
RichR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 232
Thanks: 58
Thanked 125 Times in 63 Posts
How exactly do you secure a single pane piece of glass into a frame that is made for a double/thermopane? I have had this happen before and stated I could not do it and they have found someone else to do it.
RichR is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichR For This Useful Post:
BPWY (02-01-2013), mtmtnman (02-04-2013)
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichR View Post
How exactly do you secure a single pane piece of glass into a frame that is made for a double/thermopane? I have had this happen before and stated I could not do it and they have found someone else to do it.
Great question. I was wondering the same thing myself



BRADSConst is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the REO Property Preservation Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome