Best Mold Job Ever (NOT) - REO Property Preservation Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 588
Thanks: 192
Thanked 255 Times in 114 Posts
Best Mold Job Ever (NOT)

I know we have had long discussions about the famous bleach clean and cover with Kilz topic.
I went to a property the other day for a private client of mine that bought a foreclosed property. (4b/r, 3 bath). Well guess what, apparently the house had major water and mold damage.
The hack that fixed it before this person bought it used the above method, a matter of fact they left (6) 5 gallon buckets of Kilz at the property.
About 90% of the house has the mold growing back since the bleach does not kill the mold on the other side. I am waiting to see how this plays out.
Then they yell at us when we will not do it that way.
brm1109 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to brm1109 For This Useful Post:
thanohano44 (06-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 232
Thanks: 281
Thanked 74 Times in 53 Posts
I turned down 4 jobs last month because they wanted me to do that procedure for the "discoloration" . They said if i didnt start doing them they would no longer send work orders my way. They lied about that
Valley is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: kentucky
Posts: 56
Thanks: 26
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I have been researching HUD guidelines for treatment of mold and have not been able to find anything about having a licensed mold specialist to come in and take care of this Hud guidelines what I have found are as followed
.1 Guidelines for Mitigation and Personal Protection
Common intervention methods reported in the literature for residential mitigation of mold
hazards include:
Location and removal of sources of moisture (control of dampness and humidity
and repair of water leakage problems).
Increasing ventilation.
Use of high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters.
Maintenance of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
Cleaning of mold contaminated materials.
Physical removal of materials with severe mold growth and porous materials
that cannot be cleaned.
Prevention of spore infiltration from outdoors by closing doors and windows
and by using air conditioning.
I have read a lot of comments where no one is going to clean it So I guess my question is that if HUD is allowing it to be clean then is it against the rules since they are the ones that supposedly make the rules Just a thought I am not attacking just trying to get answers I always request for a mold specialist but according to what I have been reading in HUD you do not have to have one
browneyedgirl is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browneyedgirl For This Useful Post:
NewEnglandProp (07-03-2013), thanohano44 (06-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 588
Thanks: 192
Thanked 255 Times in 114 Posts
The whole problem is that if you just "clean it" and it is not done properly then you are the one that will be held liable, including financially. The nationals and HUD are not going to get hit YOU ARE.
brm1109 is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 05:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 95
Thanks: 19
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Anyone doin this should attempt to get signed agreement from national agreeing they know it doesn't cure the problem but only hides it. And does not hold the contractor liable if future problems occur related to this method of "curing" mold. If only they'd agree to this....
Sicoupe06 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 232
Thanks: 281
Thanked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicoupe06 View Post
Anyone doin this should attempt to get signed agreement from national agreeing they know it doesn't cure the problem but only hides it. And does not hold the contractor liable if future problems occur related to this method of "curing" mold. If only they'd agree to this....

They would never agree to that
Valley is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Valley For This Useful Post:
Sicoupe06 (06-30-2013)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 95
Thanks: 19
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley View Post
They would never agree to that
They're not that stupid
Sicoupe06 is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 12:07 AM
How I wanna be a PP Pro
 
Wannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,103
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,277 Times in 562 Posts
Browneyedgirl,

Sure you can clean... Every mold job entails cleaning. The big thing is: Do you have the proper equipment to do the cleaning, the proper protocols and the Commercial Pollution Liability?

How to bid a mold job to a national or regional? "Bid is $750 to obtain an environmental hygentist to determine type of fungi and to prepare a proper scope of work". Check your local pricing with hygentists to determine cost of testing--here it avgs $700-$750 with a protocol and $400-$500 w/o protocols. Many, if not most, will not provide a protocol to an uncertified contractor since they dont want to have their name on that project being done by untrained or underequiped contractors.

That list is another reflection on the incompetance of government agencies! Heck the EPA site said "clean with bleach solution" for many years till they were sued and then it took 3 additional years for them to update their website....
Wannabe is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wannabe For This Useful Post:
BRADSConst (07-01-2013), browneyedgirl (07-01-2013)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Business Consultant
 
Cleanupman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Silver Springs, Nevada
Posts: 1,380
Thanks: 322
Thanked 564 Times in 339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyedgirl View Post
I have been researching HUD guidelines for treatment of mold and have not been able to find anything about having a licensed mold specialist to come in and take care of this Hud guidelines what I have found are as followed
.1 Guidelines for Mitigation and Personal Protection
Common intervention methods reported in the literature for residential mitigation of mold
hazards include:
Location and removal of sources of moisture (control of dampness and humidity
and repair of water leakage problems).
Increasing ventilation.
Use of high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters.
Maintenance of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems.
Cleaning of mold contaminated materials.
Physical removal of materials with severe mold growth and porous materials
that cannot be cleaned.
Prevention of spore infiltration from outdoors by closing doors and windows
and by using air conditioning.
I have read a lot of comments where no one is going to clean it So I guess my question is that if HUD is allowing it to be clean then is it against the rules since they are the ones that supposedly make the rules Just a thought I am not attacking just trying to get answers I always request for a mold specialist but according to what I have been reading in HUD you do not have to have one

where does this sate "Bleach and cover with kilz" ????
This is a HUD reg. so "cleaning" would involve PROPER methods not placing a bandaid on the bleeding artery....
While that does not give a reference to direct you to somewhere I'm betting if you look deeper you will not find bleach the area and cover with kilz.....
PS....Porous materials that can not be cleaned....sheetrock

Aladay LLC
Property Preservation
New Business Consultant
Custom Glass&Wood
Cleanupman is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: kentucky
Posts: 56
Thanks: 26
Thanked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanupman View Post
where does this sate "Bleach and cover with kilz" ????
This is a HUD reg. so "cleaning" would involve PROPER methods not placing a bandaid on the bleeding artery....
While that does not give a reference to direct you to somewhere I'm betting if you look deeper you will not find bleach the area and cover with kilz.....
PS....Porous materials that can not be cleaned....sheetrock
Cleaning of mold contaminated materials.
It doesn't say how to it just says to Clean so my question to you would be where does it say not to and it also says it is not required to hire a specialist but I still place in my bid to meet with a mold specialist never get them back so obviously a lot of contractors are as you call are putting band aids on it To me if this is there standard that they have put in place they would have it least put a measure of treatment Just a thought
browneyedgirl is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the REO Property Preservation Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome