Hi everyone! This forum has some really knowledgeable folks and I wanted some opinions: what would be some features of your perfect Route optimization\Navigation software?
I've been an Inspector for 3 years, and I've never found a great way to optimize my routes and navigate. So since I spent years in IT, I decided to make my own (particularly when i learned Microsoft Streets and Trips\Mappoint was dead).
So I made the software (Inspector IQ) and a mobile app, but all inspectors seem to have there own ways of doing things, tricks of the trade and ideas I never thought of. SOOO I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas...
Here were some of MY ideas:
- I didn't want to work with spreadsheets anymore, just wanted to edit my list of jobs in the program
- I wanted to take my created route right into the car and use it with a tablet or phone on my dash
- I needed to be able to click a button on my route to start navigating easily, I didn't want to be typing on my gps for a couple minutes per jobs anymore
- I didn't want to use my dataplan on my phone\tablet to use navigation on it
- I wanted to be able to pick the jobs on my route, but the software to let me know if another job assigned to me is nearby or on the way
- for inspections where i need to set an appointment before hand, I needed software that let me say "optimize my route, but i need to be at this job at this specific time"
So now that I've included all those things, I'm hoping to get some more ideas from you good folk. Feel free to download the software, its a free beta.
I'm hoping in particular to help the other inspectors in my company with this, I find some inspectors come and go around here because of difficulty being organized\tracking their work. So i thought making something to simplify it would be nice.