Advertisement? - REO Property Preservation Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LaCaSa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 163
Thanks: 220
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Advertisement?

What was the most profitable way you advertised yourself to the market. IE Logos, business cards, newspaper, walk ins etc. I have built up some cash to use towards advertising. But don't want to blow it where it wont count. Here, to have a trailer wrapped with a logo can cost almost $3k. If that does not have a good turn around from your experience compared to, lets say, something as cheap as business cards. Id rather go that route. Some say just t-shirts with a company logo. I would like to hear what you guys have experienced, and after which plan of action had the quickest turn around for you.
LaCaSa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Senior Member
 
thanohano44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,016
Thanks: 1,397
Thanked 289 Times in 168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCaSa View Post
What was the most profitable way you advertised yourself to the market. IE Logos, business cards, newspaper, walk ins etc. I have built up some cash to use towards advertising. But don't want to blow it where it wont count. Here, to have a trailer wrapped with a logo can cost almost $3k. If that does not have a good turn around from your experience compared to, lets say, something as cheap as business cards. Id rather go that route. Some say just t-shirts with a company logo. I would like to hear what you guys have experienced, and after which plan of action had the quickest turn around for you.

Putting out quality work and word of mouth.
thanohano44 is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thanohano44 For This Useful Post:
gforce971 (12-14-2014), GTX63 (08-25-2014), JoeInPI (12-27-2014)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
The advertising question is a pretty tough one to answer, almost like "who's the best to work for". The answer depends on many factors, location, type of work desired, type of customers desired, how big you want to grow or keep your business, the timeframe for the return on the advertising investment, etc.

I agree with Troy, quality work and word of mouth of this best. However, that takes time to prove and longevity in business to fully capitalize on that.

So with that being said, here is what works for me and meets my desires and income requirements. A comprehensive web based marketing campaign. Now keep in mind, I haven't done a P&P work order since November last year. I am also trying to phase out FNMA and Freddie rehabs too. My target audience is private party residential remodeling and rehabilitation. It is NOT P&P nor new construction.

Why do I say web based marketing campaign? Because it involves a kick azz website, a twitter account (not much focus here yet), Youtube and Facebook. It is not one form of advertisement.

Do my guys wear lettered clothing? yes. Do I utilize jobsite signs? Yes. Business cards? Yes. Placemats at the local restaurant? Yes. Radio? Just started. Yellow/Home pages? Hell no.

Here is the reason why. My long term goal is to build the "Brand". Think of it this way. Most places in the US call a soda or pop "Coke". Coke is the brand! A lot of people call a reciprocating saw a "Sawzall". Sawzall is Milwaukee tool corp's brand! Will I ever be "Coke"? No and that's not my goal or desire. However, my brand will and does represent quality, commitment and integrity. By doing this, word of mouth is happening and starting to grow.

Now back to the heart of the advertising question. The website is the most important piece of my advertising/brand building. It is also the most expensive piece. It is also the piece that has generated the most revenue per advertising dollar. All of the rest of my advertising supports and drives business toward the website. I think of my advertising like a wheel. The website is the hub and all the rest support it. Everything incorporates the web URL, the most recent ad I ran on the radio had my phone number listed, but the website was read and then repeated spelling it. I don't care if I get one call from the radio spot. I did it to get the website and my brand out in front of people to push recognition.

The placemats in the diner. Not one call. Do I care, nope. That restaurant uses 29,000 placemats per year. Everyone sitting there waiting for their appetizer is seeing my business name and web address. I have no expectation that anyone at diner thinks "Hey, I could use a new roof". However, there is a good chance that they will remember my name when they do need that roof.

Now after this long rant of what I hope might be useful information, I hope I have helped. I love this topic and could go on for hours about it. But in the full interest of disclosure, I need to give the negative as well. My website has been live for 18 or 19 months. It took about 4 months to fully develop and launch my website. That was after 2 or 3 months researching who I wanted to do the work. In the first 5 months I received 1 call, that's it. Not a great return and I did get frustrated. Fast forward to July 18. Month-to-date I've had 14 email/web requests and another 12 or 13 phone calls. Not a lot if your market is 45 minute onetime grass cuts. It is a ton when these are roof replacements, house remodels, basements, etc. I am now to the point where I do choose which jobs I want to work on and have told potential leads that they aren't worth my time.

Good Luck



BRADSConst is offline  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BRADSConst For This Useful Post:
AaronMcKeehan (05-08-2015), JoeInPI (12-27-2014), LaCaSa (07-18-2014), LisaSOLO (07-16-2015), OfficeMonkey (03-25-2015), potterpm (09-03-2015), thanohano44 (07-18-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
LaCaSa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Central Fl
Posts: 163
Thanks: 220
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
BRADSConst, this is an awesome post, Very informative, and I appreciate the time you took posting this. I know the variable list is quite extensive, but was thinking there were categories that each type of advertisement would fall under and I was looking for the best return. I have business cards, and was looking for the next step and not waist time where it will not count. Im shooting for the residential and local bank market. We live in a town thats small so maybe logos? But would like a good website, We dont have one yet.
LaCaSa is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 1,059
Thanks: 890
Thanked 1,208 Times in 536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCaSa View Post
BRADSConst, this is an awesome post, Very informative, and I appreciate the time you took posting this. I know the variable list is quite extensive, but was thinking there were categories that each type of advertisement would fall under and I was looking for the best return. I have business cards, and was looking for the next step and not waist time where it will not count. Im shooting for the residential and local bank market. We live in a town thats small so maybe logos? But would like a good website, We dont have one yet.
Its not even the close. The BEST return for me is my internet marketing campaign. I'm talking orders of magnitude better. The Yellow pages ads I ran created enough revenue to cover the cost, that was it. Now perhaps I didn't have them designed correctly or should have let them run for more than a year, possibly, but they were a waste of money for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do value my job signs, logo, business cards, company apparel, etc. However, while these are an advertising expense as defined by QuickBooks, these are not advertising as defined by me. These items are used first and foremost to promote my website. Their secondary function is to build a comfort level with customers that I'm a legit business. I guess the way I view them is a tool to build credibility. Similar to job my proposals.

For example. My proposals are all type written. Not written in pencil on the back of a napkin. I have received feedback that my proposals have won me the job, even when I was higher priced than the competition. Why? Because it gives the sense of professionalism. Same thing as the logo'd polo shirts, hoodies, business cards, etc.

Keep in mind, this is my experience and yours will most likely vary.

I have two main regrets in business. The first one was starting a partnership with a family member. That is a different story and different thread. The other one is waiting too damn long to build the website. I spent way too many nights in the P&P rat race uploading pictures and bids at 2 am that I knew wouldn't get approved. It wasted time and income for my family. But it was easy. The work just showed up in the email every morning. No need to advertise. Big mistake.

Speaking of my website, I help in content creation, pictures, etc. I don't do the techy geek stuff. I don't even pretend to know that I understand SEO or how to rank on page one of Google. I pay to have it done. Just like I pay my accountant to do my taxes. I would never advocate that anyone do a 1 page website on a DIY site, unless you are absolutely sure that will meet your business needs. My web developer is not a contractor, I'm not going to try to be a web developer either.

I believe it was Henry Ford that said something like, "I'm not the smartest man in the room nor do I need to be. I need to surround myself with the smartest people."



BRADSConst is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRADSConst For This Useful Post:
AaronMcKeehan (05-08-2015), JoeInPI (12-27-2014), LisaSOLO (07-16-2015)
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thanohano44 View Post
Putting out quality work and word of mouth.
Quality work , and good conversation and contacts with brokers at the properties you are working on. When the broker is happy you are in good shape. They can and will even request you or your company personally for trashouts/ services needed at properties because of good communication skills and the quality of work they are looking for. That is if your not flooded with vendors in your area.
preserve_urearth is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 07:12 PM
CEO, ParadigmRPA
 
AaronMcKeehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 56
Thanks: 53
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I think Brad is right in using Internet Marketing. One of the most important things I have learned in terms of Marketing is that you have to utilize "Acquisition Channels". For Property Preservation, you may not get very far on twitter...not saying you cant get anywhere..there are realtors on there that you may be able to network with..but I have never personally tried to do that.

A small list of Property Pres Advertising Acquisition Channels(I may have to create a blog with more related to property pres if people want more information)

1. Website
a. Use Wordpress, its cheap, easy, and fast.(I can also build you a wordpress site(shameless plug ))
b. Dont spend more than $5 on a URL, you can get URLs for a $1.00
c. You will need a webhost: Godaddy is great, they have 24/7 staff
2. Email campaign
a. Send out emails to Realtors biweekly
b. Use a service like Mailchimp to maintain your email list(its free)
c. Use sites like Yellowpages, Yellowbooks, REONetwork, etc to find potential clients(keep in mind that yellowpages is the only one that has the email address available.) I dont recommend manually copying and pasting, rather use a service https://import.io/ again free, and it can "scrape" the email information from the website and put it on an excel sheet.
d. Also try your local library, find out if they have database services like EBSCO, or AtoZdatabases as those may be your best resources. They have 50 million companies on those databases. They are awesome.
c. If you have a website, but no email address try: https://emailhunter.co/ as they can find the emails related to a domain(URL)
d. Another option, is to use a service http://lukewarmemailer.com/ to get the email addresses from twitter accounts. I know a lot of realtors use twitter, so this is another option. They have a free trial, and the pricing is pretty affordable

There are also many other tactics, but I don't have time right now to really go over those

When you are doing your email campaign, you may not get business every two weeks, but work may slowly trickle in until word of mouth really spreads.

As a side note, if you want to try the twitter route, you can find some twitter automation options, that will target realtors accounts etc: https://tweetrocket.co/ I may try to use this software to market to realtor twitter accounts in the future. If I do I will let everyone know the outcome.

I am not personally associated with any of this software by the way, but I have used them, and I know they work.

...I think I may have pretty much repeated what Brad had said
AaronMcKeehan is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AaronMcKeehan For This Useful Post:
FSJHaul (05-20-2015), LisaSOLO (07-16-2015)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 218
Thanks: 36
Thanked 67 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADSConst View Post
Its not even the close. The BEST return for me is my internet marketing campaign. I'm talking orders of magnitude better. The Yellow pages ads I ran created enough revenue to cover the cost, that was it. Now perhaps I didn't have them designed correctly or should have let them run for more than a year, possibly, but they were a waste of money for me.

Don't get me wrong, I do value my job signs, logo, business cards, company apparel, etc. However, while these are an advertising expense as defined by QuickBooks, these are not advertising as defined by me. These items are used first and foremost to promote my website. Their secondary function is to build a comfort level with customers that I'm a legit business. I guess the way I view them is a tool to build credibility. Similar to job my proposals.

For example. My proposals are all type written. Not written in pencil on the back of a napkin. I have received feedback that my proposals have won me the job, even when I was higher priced than the competition. Why? Because it gives the sense of professionalism. Same thing as the logo'd polo shirts, hoodies, business cards, etc.

Keep in mind, this is my experience and yours will most likely vary.

I have two main regrets in business. The first one was starting a partnership with a family member. That is a different story and different thread. The other one is waiting too damn long to build the website. I spent way too many nights in the P&P rat race uploading pictures and bids at 2 am that I knew wouldn't get approved. It wasted time and income for my family. But it was easy. The work just showed up in the email every morning. No need to advertise. Big mistake.

Speaking of my website, I help in content creation, pictures, etc. I don't do the techy geek stuff. I don't even pretend to know that I understand SEO or how to rank on page one of Google. I pay to have it done. Just like I pay my accountant to do my taxes. I would never advocate that anyone do a 1 page website on a DIY site, unless you are absolutely sure that will meet your business needs. My web developer is not a contractor, I'm not going to try to be a web developer either.

I believe it was Henry Ford that said something like, "I'm not the smartest man in the room nor do I need to be. I need to surround myself with the smartest people."
This information is very helpful. Would you be able to recommend SEO that you use? I want to outsource it and looking for the one who knows construction. I m running really thin with doing marketing and bids, need some help
Could you send me a PM?
Thank you in advance
newreo is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2015, 02:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
La casa,
The key to online marketing is local directories alongside backlinks and social bookmarks I've done online marketing for quite a long time and there's nothing else out there that'll allow you to reach as many people as online marketing.

Warm regards,
Preservation Buddy
PreservationBuddy is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PreservationBuddy For This Useful Post:
AaronMcKeehan (05-11-2015), newreo (05-10-2015)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM
CEO, ParadigmRPA
 
AaronMcKeehan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 56
Thanks: 53
Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I will say that if you spam with backlinks that could drive your ranking down. Google caught onto backlink spam after everyone started doing it. backlinks are definitely important, but somehow they can, or try to tell the difference between backlink spam and quality backlinks.

People love to provide guest posts on blogs for instance to get extra back links...so as you can imagine google is also looking negatively on guest posts that lack quality.

A few websites to check out for help on online marketing:
growthhackers.com
inbound.org
moz.com/blog

Again..none of these are mine, but they have really helped me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newreo View Post
This information is very helpful. Would you be able to recommend SEO that you use? I want to outsource it and looking for the one who knows construction. I m running really thin with doing marketing and bids, need some help
Could you send me a PM?
Thank you in advance
If you use wordpress you can download a plugin called Yoast SEO, and it will help walk you through updating your site based SEO. I really recommend it. I am not sure how much outsourced SEO companies help, but they may...
AaronMcKeehan is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronMcKeehan For This Useful Post:
FSJHaul (05-20-2015)
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the REO Property Preservation Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome