REO Property Preservation Forum banner

Question On lien title?

7K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  645 
#1 ·
Hello!

I have a question as to the process of placing a lien. I received personal property release on 12/20 so trashed everything out. Inside the garage was a 2008 yamaha, which I towed to our storage. On christmas eve, the realtor gave the previous owner my contact info and they started calling me harassing and threatening me. At first I tried to diffuse the situation, and drove with my husband and children on christmas eve to to he property, so the people could get their belongings out of one of my trailers. Well the people never showed and kind of ruined my christmas eve, so now I kind of take it personal and placed a lien against the quad instead of being nice and letting them have it back. Well, 2 days ago the realtor calls me again and says the people are going to press charges for stealing it. I have my legal documents from Fannie Mae, and AMS, but I have never dealt with such annoying realtors or people before. Is there a way I can be liable for "stealing" if the 18 day notice had been posted and expired? Thanks so much!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Give them their quad back and move on. I am not sure the benefit in liening their quad. For a trip fee? I understand you went there on Christmas Eve, but you are the one to agreed to that. You would have been out the time whether they showed or not. If the bank is paying you storage fees to store the quad, then that is already covered. It's not worth the hassle here...

You say they are "annoying people" while you have their $1000 quad in storage... I'd be pissed too, whether the paperwork says you are right or not.

Hello!

I have a question as to the process of placing a lien. I received personal property release on 12/20 so trashed everything out. Inside the garage was a 2008 yamaha, which I towed to our storage. On christmas eve, the realtor gave the previous owner my contact info and they started calling me harassing and threatening me. At first I tried to diffuse the situation, and drove with my husband and children on christmas eve to to he property, so the people could get their belongings out of one of my trailers. Well the people never showed and kind of ruined my christmas eve, so now I kind of take it personal and placed a lien against the quad instead of being nice and letting them have it back. Well, 2 days ago the realtor calls me again and says the people are going to press charges for stealing it. I have my legal documents from Fannie Mae, and AMS, but I have never dealt with such annoying realtors or people before. Is there a way I can be liable for "stealing" if the 18 day notice had been posted and expired? Thanks so much!

#3 ·
I'd give it back as well. Why make a bad situation worse for those people? The bad PR is not worth it not losing your contract and bringing it to your clients attention. Put yourself in their shoes. They've lost their home. Probably down on their luck. They could sell that quad to feed their family.

#4 ·
I'd give the quad back too. However, in the sue happy society that we live in, I'd check with my attorney first and find out if they need to sign for it stating they are the rightful owners and they are accepting it as being in good condition upon return. I would hate to be the nice guy and return something only to get sued because they claimed you damaged it while in your possession.

I'd also want payment in full for the storage fees. No different from a car.

#7 ·
If only it were that easy, I tried to return the quad except the people would not come to the property. After running the plates/ vin we found out that GE money actually owns the bike and the people have been hiding it for 5 years avoiding the repo company. GE was in the process of a charge off before the DMV contacted them with the lien. So now the people are mad that they had almost scammed the bank out of the title, to be sued for the monetary value. I don't want to sound like an evil person but these people left their entire house, including a dog that had to be euthanized, and then blamed me, do I don't feel bad. I donate all furniture to salvation army and Blankets to the animal shelters and 10% of everything made on scrap metal in December went to toys for tots. So i know there are people who work hard and have problems making it, I just don't like being blamed for whatever misfortune these people encountered. I already have the lien, just curious if anyone had been in that situation. But I must be the worst person on earth to not return stuff to people who can't accept responsibility in life.

#10 ·
I don't think anyone here thinks you are "the worst person on earth". Its just that sometimes its not worth the battle. Going back to my earlier post, if they don't own it free and clear, I'd make a a call to GE capital and tell them that you have it. Let your attorney sort it out.

I personally have little sympathy for people who can't run their lives. If you can't afford to pay for yor house, you shouldn't have a quad either.

I had a deadbeat couple move into my rental house that I just completed a $31k rehab on. They trashed it to the tune of $4100 in damages in the 5 months they lived their. Damn broad even called the cops on me for trespassing. Long story short, they were their because of a fire on their house. Insurance co. paid everything. After the damages and ticket from the cops, I spent a little time on the phone with Liberty and told them the dumb broad was going around town telling people she started the house fire on purpose because she "wanted it renovated". It was hilarious when they came and repo'd all the new furniture and belongs. They also foreclosed on the house for insurance fraud. I still sleep well every night for throwing that loser under the bus.

#8 ·
I don't believe you should spend another moment of your life feeling sorry for them or feeling bad that you aren't returning "their" stuff.

Reactions: Blonde25
#9 ·
Can you call the police or somebody, tell them the situation, and get them to take it? I've never had anything quite like that. If the title isn't in their name, I don't know if I'd want to give it back to them then, either, as GE could then technically say you gave their property to the previous homeowner. That situation sucks, makes more sense now that you have explained more detail. I'd try to end it as quickly as possible somehow even if you lose a little $$.

#14 ·
Of course the laws always differ from state to state. If GE was writing off the note as a bad debt, then the owners will be getting a 1099 this year. It will be counted as income so to speak.We have had numerous instances like you have mentioned. Last one was a 10 year old Ford Thunderbird that had been sitting with the inside stuffed full of clothes to the ceiling. My guys dug out the driver's side, got it onto a rollback and towed it to a licensed storage facility. The owner's, who hadn't been seen or heard from in 6 months called the broker screaming bloody murder. The owner of the storage facility did what he always did, he told them to bring title or registration for proof of ownership, and cash for the storage fees. $15 per day x 13 days. No dice, threats of the law, lawsuits, a hammer on the head, etc. (Can't afford $295 but they can get a lawyer). Really all they wanted was the clothes inside. Owner gave them access, they took a couple garbage bags full and left never to be seen again. Cross your T's and dot your I's and follow the law.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.