REO Property Preservation Forum banner

Time for a new generator

11K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  dryBgerG 
#1 ·
Well the time has came to get a new generator. :furious::furious::furious: What is a good one to get Brand watts ext.

#6 ·
I picked up a Generac from Menards. Its a POS. The damn thing will not start when its cold and the design is assinine. The recoil cord is tucked so far into the frame that when you pull start it, it has no choice but to rub the cord on the frame. Recoils don't last long :censored:. Wish it would die So I could justify buying a new one.

#7 ·
One of my guys bought a harbor freight for 1/3 of my 5500/6500 Troy built. Ran exactly one time. It was a Chinese model and parts had to be ordered thru the manufacturer, mule trained across the Great Wall and sent over on a Sampan.
My Troy built is a beast but you couldn't hear a train wreck if you were within 50 ft of the generator.
Have a Yamaha 3000 inverter type for our RV. You can have a normal converation standing almost next to it but they are pricy.

#10 ·
We use the little 800 watt for the vacuums and what not...when we did the HIPR's we used a monster that we had to leave in the truck and back into the garages....it took two people to lift and move around...
If you're lloking for one to do more than run a vacuum...we get the little 800's on sale $90...plus I have a buddy at HF so the discount.....they are 2-stroke...we keep new plug on the truck and bought a spark plug cleaner you attach to the air hose.. We actually like the little one as the ladies on our cleaning crews can lift them (35 lbs)....and if it does blow up....I'm out less than 100 bucks...we also have 6500 watts...for bigger things. Generac GP6500 portable generator features a powerful 389cc engine and 7.2-gallon fuel tank .
Use Northern Tool you can get some good deals from them if you shop at the right time. Three years ago we got Ryobi weed wackers for $75 each...still running like a champ...all 6 of them.....
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_generators+portable-generators

#12 ·
Depends on what you are wanting to run?

Whatever you get recommend it has a Honda engine on it.

I got a Troy-Bilt from Lowes in 2005 and still starts on first or second pull. I belive it's 6000 running watts - 8250 starting watts. I have used it for years doing finish carpentry and general construction with no problems. Only thing I don't like is it has a Briggs and is louder than our Honda.

I also have a Coleman with Honda I believe same specs and no problems either and is quiet.

#14 ·
Generac is like Sears. They buy last years models and such mill ends or whatever and put them together with an engine. NOT saying they are bad just generac is the gen end of teh unit NOT the engine. Usally diodes go south or capacitors and thats it. I use a yamaha 2800 for all services hs been soild even after it was launched out of the truck one night by an employee.

#16 ·
We've got 2000 watt Coleman with a Subaru motor that works great for whatever my husband needs.

Those that use the little 800s for vacuums....what kind of vacuum are you using? We have a small 1000w that we intended for our daughter to use for doing maid services that don't have power, but the vacuum always trips it after about 5 minutes. I'm trying to figure out it if's the generator that's a POS or the vacuum. lol

#19 ·
Well I decided to go with the Predator 7000 watt 8750 max from harbor freight. we do a lot of roofing so have to be able to run tools and air compressors. Started it up last night and learned it is extremely loud. But after taxes I paid 586.00. So I really cant complain. Id post pics if I knew how LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.