REO Property Preservation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2nd time in two weeks asking me what i want for a trip charge fore a final conveyance and recut 625 miles (yup you read it right! Six Hundred Twenty Five Miles) one way. They also called on one a little closer, 340 miles one way for an initial secure.....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
mtmtnman said:
Thanks but no thanks..................
My response would be "do you have your credit card handy". $1 per mile to and from. Or a plane ticket, rental car, lodging, tool rentals, meals paid for immediately and no discount on work. And determine how many of your crew you're taking. 4 seems about right. 2 people to hold ladders. One to take photos and 2 to cut grass.

G

·
re

Depends on how bad they want it, figure 2 days +hotel room and $125 or so in fuel, could be a nice trip if their willing to actually pay you.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
nurumkin said:
Depends on how bad they want it, figure 2 days +hotel room and $125 or so in fuel, could be a nice trip if their willing to actually pay you.
If only he wasn't so busy in his zone already and or if he had adequate coverage/help to assist him while he's gone. That job could end up being not worth it.

We have done some jobs like this that was way out of the way. It's rarely worth it, that's why I demand payment up front. It softens the sting. We have done a bit of these for FAS and Five Bros over the years.

G

·
re

I would mainly be afraid of not getting paid, I like to take these types of jobs once in a while as a way to relax, its nice to just veg out in the car once in a while, or take the bike. If you can spare the time.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
nurumkin said:
I would mainly be afraid of not getting paid, .

As you should be.

I heard tonight of the brothers promising a contractor the same thing, big trip charge because they were desperate. (which they almost never will do... pay more than an extra $25 trip charge)

Any way a month or two goes by and the brothers call the guy up and say he needs to return to the property to redo some work they weren't happy with. He told them to step off and their reply was go do it yourself or we'll back charge you what ever the other contractor charges us.

In the end they back charged him for the entire trip fee, and most of the job pay.

Now we all know the claim was highly likely bogus to begin with and even more likely that they never sent another contractor out to the property. They just charged the contractor and sent the funds straight to their bottom line.

Moral of the story............. beware, they'll poke you sooner or later and with great enjoyment on their side of the deal.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
BPWY said:
As you should be.

I heard tonight of the brothers promising a contractor the same thing, big trip charge because they were desperate. (which they almost never will do... pay more than an extra $25 trip charge)

Any way a month or two goes by and the brothers call the guy up and say he needs to return to the property to redo some work they weren't happy with. He told them to step off and their reply was go do it yourself or we'll back charge you what ever the other contractor charges us.

In the end they back charged him for the entire trip fee, and most of the job pay.

Now we all know the claim was highly likely bogus to begin with and even more likely that they never sent another contractor out to the property. They just charged the contractor and sent the funds straight to their bottom line.

Moral of the story............. beware, they'll poke you sooner or later and with great enjoyment on their side of the deal.
Indeed

G

·
5 Brothers pay on time,the problem with them is the person calling or emailing about the same question for 2 weeks.

We did a intial secure for the Brothers that was over 200 miles each way.They paid us 55 cents per mile each way.

They did try like bandits to backcharge,kickback bill and etc over the next 2 weeks on my photos.I will not lie I took about 400 photos for lock change and lock box.200 of the roof and ceilings and about 200 of 1 cub raw garabge.I did not label all of them or submit them all just wanted a few backups to play there games back at them.

G

·
It's only going to get worse for them if they don't start working on their contractor retention skills. If they don't wise up real soon it could result in them going under. You can't stay in business when you don't have anyone to do the work.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They sent me 175 miles into Wyoming for an Initial. I got in writing that I'd get $100 recurring trip charge for every trip to the property.

(the only problem is I didn't turn off the water at the curb as per FNMA regs and so got a not charge)

Never again. No matter what they offer. *shakes head*

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
BigMonkey said:
They sent me 175 miles into Wyoming for an Initial. I got in writing that I'd get $100 recurring trip charge for every trip to the property.

(the only problem is I didn't turn off the water at the curb as per FNMA regs and so got a not charge)

Never again. No matter what they offer. *shakes head*
Well on this one, sorry pal, this was your fault. I've done these before and drove hundreds of miles to fix my bad.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
thanohano44 said:
Well on this one, sorry pal, this was your fault. I've done these before and drove hundreds of miles to fix my bad.
I'd fight with them on this... curb valves are owned and operated by the water company. Many Water companies require a written letter from the owner... done many a witnz for the brothers, and I dump it back on them... I need a written letter to have utilities cut on a property and me not being the owner, what do they say.. "not my job man"...

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
True that JF.

Besides like Mtmntman will tell you having done a lot of city digging...... he who turns it and it starts leaking......... pays for a new one.

I ONLY have the city turn the valve at the street. I won't touch em.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
BPWY said:
True that JF.

Besides like Mtmntman will tell you having done a lot of city digging...... he who turns it and it starts leaking......... pays for a new one.

I ONLY have the city turn the valve at the street. I won't touch em.
I forget that as well... an that's a sweet $2-$3-k fix... not including the discount.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
JFMURFY said:
I'd fight with them on this... curb valves are owned and operated by the water company. Many Water companies require a written letter from the owner... done many a witnz for the brothers, and I dump it back on them... I need a written letter to have utilities cut on a property and me not being the owner, what do they say.. "not my job man"...
I didn't say for him to have not fought it. If there's a reason it wasn't turned off by him, this should have been communicated from him to the 5 pickanini's. That's just a part of doing a thorough job.

In AZ, UT and HI you better not be caught turning the water off at the curb or even opening it. That's tampering and if caught $3k-$10k fine depending on where it is.

Never did a wint in Nevada so I don't know.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.