REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the email I got...

"We have a new client, who is expecting a high volume of inspections in a concentrated area, and we’re reaching out to our inspectors for capacity and pricing information. Our new client will be offering 2 tiers of inspections:

- Drive-by (photos taken from your car or the street) The cost will be between $7.00 to $10.00. You need to choose $$$ amount?

- Field (Full Interior and Exterior photos, including any discrepancies) The cost will be between $11.00 to $14.00. You need to choose $$$ amount?

On average, how many inspection would you be able to complete in 1- day?"

I have no experience with these types of inspections. I am however, the bane of the inital services crews I follow.

I rarely miss anything and have been known to send in 233 pictures of what was not done during the initial services. I report or I fix it for free and I am not going to fix it for free.

My thoughts are that these could be profitable if I mix a few of them in with my route each day. This way I am not driving out of my way. A few of these each day would just about cover my daily fuel costs.

So how hard are they? I have been told they are between 5 and 15 pictures each inspection depending on the type of inspection.

Your thoughts and advice please.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Please PM me and I can give you the lowdown on these. Not that I am saying they are good but I can give you a realistic idea. I forget but what state are you in?

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I won't touch them for less than 20.

By the time you print the w/o, plan your route, drive out of your way even a couple miles, do the inspection
buy your camera and batteries, drive to your next job and then do the upload.................. even 20
doesn't sound like nearly enough.

If you are like me you never take JUST 5 to 15 pics.

In my opinion there simply is no money in doing them for their prices, heck in my opinion you are going
backwards at their pricing!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Smells FISHY to me! Do your homework! Not many ask you what you would like to get paid.

:detective::detective::detective:

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I'll post an answer I gave on another thread. Nationals would rather you ignore how much money it breaks down to per hour. They would rather you look at it as how much you can make a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to do bpo, occupancy verification, etc, and never got less than 15, and that was from a company that didn't pay more than 35 for a wint

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

I'll post an answer I gave on another thread. Nationals would rather you ignore how much money it breaks down to per hour. They would rather you look at it as how much you can make a day.
That is how you should always look at it as an independent contractor. I would even go further to how much you make per week/month.

If you make $40 in your first half of the day but $500 in the second half all that matters is that you made $540 for a days work. Most of my days are like this, I rarely make money before noon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was offered those prices once, just not in my business model for that price. Seems I would be taking on more work in hopes I could make a little in a perfect world. But the real world I live in thought one return to property request would blow the whole profit for the day. I never even responded back to them.

·
Registered
681 Posts
So here is the email I got...

"We have a new client, who is expecting a high volume of inspections in a concentrated area, and we’re reaching out to our inspectors for capacity and pricing information. Our new client will be offering 2 tiers of inspections:

- Drive-by (photos taken from your car or the street) The cost will be between $7.00 to $10.00. You need to choose $$$ amount?

- Field (Full Interior and Exterior photos, including any discrepancies) The cost will be between $11.00 to $14.00. You need to choose $$$ amount?

On average, how many inspection would you be able to complete in 1- day?"

I have no experience with these types of inspections. I am however, the bane of the inital services crews I follow.

I rarely miss anything and have been known to send in 233 pictures of what was not done during the initial services. I report or I fix it for free and I am not going to fix it for free.

My thoughts are that these could be profitable if I mix a few of them in with my route each day. This way I am not driving out of my way. A few of these each day would just about cover my daily fuel costs.

So how hard are they? I have been told they are between 5 and 15 pictures each inspection depending on the type of inspection.

Your thoughts and advice please.

Just can`t see how anybody can make money doing this! after all your cost you might as weel send them a check and sit at home.:mellow:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Drive by inspections are not the norm. They really require lots of contact and meter pics. The bac delinquent interviews via msc are a joke. The miles between inspections eat up what little profit there is.

They usually cut the pay rates after a while too. I have not found a way to make money on occupancy checks and I've been trying. Its a dead end as far as I can tell. The only ones who profit are the middlemen.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I always wanted to know how to make money on $15.00 inspections just getting 1 -3 a day? they told me there is not alot of inventory in my area so I told them i wont bother to do them? they stop sending me them

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
That is how you should always look at it as an independent contractor. I would even go further to how much you make per week/month.

If you make $40 in your first half of the day but $500 in the second half all that matters is that you made $540 for a days work. Most of my days are like this, I rarely make money before noon.
Looking at a pig thru rose colored glasses just makes it a red pig.
Inspections and the profitability set aside, when you start focusing on your pay "at the end of the day" then you are sliding into the mindset of an employee.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

I would much rather sleep in until noon and make $500 for a half days work..... :thumbup::thumbup:

I used to look at it that way, how much do I make in a day. Now if I can't make money on every job, all day long, I don't take every job and work all day long.....

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Inspections and the profitability set aside, when you start focusing on your pay "at the end of the day" then you are sliding into the mindset of an employee.

Yes and no.

Maybe general contractors don't have a problem with their hammer breaking down but guys that do lawn care can have equipment issues early in the day that blows most of the morning.
By the time things are back up and running its debatable on whether its worth going to work now.
But you get the guy's tails tied up in a good tight knot and put an incentive on them like a case of beer or some thing and low and behold you get the critical mowing work of the day done by maybe an hour or two later than what you wanted to work.

Was the morning worthless???? Sure as ****.

Was the day worthless, NOPE.

NOW, I understand it doesn't work like that in all trades....... but I wouldn't blanket say looking at it that way is the employee mindset.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I agree, that was a broad statement I made. Your example of a landscaping operation layers you between the crews and the client and is a different animal. I'm referring to the one or two man operation. When discussing inspections, it is difficult anymore to reasonably sub them out. You almost have to be a mom/pop/solo biz to make it work. So when these cattle calls for inspectors come around, it is usually under their terms. You take everything in an area or not at all. The nationals preach volume, volume, volume. Some of these folks fall for that gimmick and they rationalize the miles and hours with a mediocre but steady check every week. You can't grow your business because your on the road every day doing $5 and $10 inspections. The contract gets rebid or your screw up and your out on the street with little or nothing, just as if you were an employee.

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

I would say the exact opposite once you start looking at what you make hourly you are getting into the employee mindset, basically you do your time for consistent pay.

@jrdm "You make up for it with VOLUME."

Well there is a reason I broke $900/day alone doing $25-$30 lawn cuts (very long day granted but still one day)

Hell I've had days where I make $600 doing nothing but inspections

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Well there is a reason I broke $900/day alone doing $25-$30 lawn cuts (very long day granted but still one day)

Get the right commercial jobs and you can do a lot better than that..... without the looooong day.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Nothing wrong with your game. Everyone has their goals and means to reach them. Just saying...

:thumbsup:

Thats the beauty of being an INDEPENDENT contractor. You make it work for YOU.

Well thats what the business plan says any way, lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts