REO Property Preservation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I trained my kids and put them on jobs.
This is true- probably the only way to make money now, since you can pay with a bag of Skittles and a Mountain Dew. Two Dew's if it's a long day, paid in advance to maintain pace of work... They don't even whine about stupid rules like closed toe shoes.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Lol.

More like cigarettes and beer.
Without giving them specifics, I ask them if they want paid by the hour or by the job. It's a little insight into their potential.

Cue pianos and violins.
I worked as a teen detasseling corn and walking bean rows. Sunup to sundown.
No different that a chain gang other than I hadn't committed any crime.
Took a month for the first two week paycheck. $186.
I used to be proud of that story; these days I'm just a sucker.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Lol.

More like cigarettes and beer.
Without giving them specifics, I ask them if they want paid by the hour or by the job. It's a little insight into their potential.

Cue pianos and violins.
I worked as a teen detasseling corn and walking bean rows. Sunup to sundown.
No different that a chain gang other than I hadn't committed any crime.
Took a month for the first two week paycheck. $186.
I used to be proud of that story; these days I'm just a sucker.
I detassled corn for 4 years in the Villa Grove, Tuscola, IL area. We walked beans every summer and baled hay twice a year. I got a penny a bale for the square bales and you never saw a kid so happy the year grandpa got a round baler!:biggrin:

·
Registered
342 Posts

What's so hard about that? I mean- it's no different than $10 lawn cuts. If madxtreme & melmatrix can do it, why can't you guys get it done? Get more efficient! Y'all will pass on $10 cuts, but you tassled corn and walked beanrows for such low rates? No wonder you're in preservation. Ha ha! J/K!!!! :biggrin:

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

What's so hard about that? I mean- it's no different than $10 lawn cuts. If madxtreme & melmatrix can do it, why can't you guys get it done? Get more efficient! Y'all will pass on $10 cuts, but you tassled corn and walked beanrows for such low rates? No wonder you're in preservation. Ha ha! J/K!!!! :biggrin:
The tassel is on the other end!.......... You city folks crack me up!

You may have a point we could be conditioned to low wages and poor working conditions. When I detassled there were plenty of cute girls. That is what kept me coming back. No cute girls on my preservation routes.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Detasseling....2-3 weeks of work for about $600 bucks. I was 15 and thought that check was going to last forever. Drank my first beer on a detasseling job...Good experience. I don't recall the girls being all that pretty though. The ones on my crew were all pretty well corn fed.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wait- do you mean that the country girls do NOT all look like the girls on those farmersonly.com TV ads?

One thing though- why did they put the hottest girls in the back?!

...and that's as close to a tassel I can get- I have bad pollen allergies lol

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So this thread can still say it is somewhat on topic, the point is that one shouldn't be learning the lessons at 40 that were being taught when they were 16.

When I was 15 I wanted a Whitesnake cassette and an older cousin to buy me beer. My needs were pretty simple.

Even if your needs are simple there is almost no reason to pursue preservation. The money is low and slow. The hours long and filled with more and more procedural BS every single day. Then you have charge backs and liabilities.

Right now we are having to spell out our payment terms with realtors and asset managers on our non national work. That money is starting to move slower and the pic requirements are going up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Government, government, government. Regulate regulate regulate. Work at HUD/FNMA/FMAC/VA/USDA? Create more procedures so you fell like you're really helping. More paperwork, more paperwork, more paperwork. Involve more people. Suck up more money. Less for the people that do actual work.

Not a sustainable business model unless you work for the government.

When I was 15 I wanted a Whitesnake cassette and an older cousin to buy me beer. My needs were pretty simple...

I remember those days... Similar, but I taped Whitesnake singles off the radio onto cassette, and taped the Whitesnake video (well, mostly Tawny Kitaen lol) off MTV with the VCR. I was 13/14 when it was popular, so that pretty much explains that. lol!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I absolutely agree. I am sure that most, if not everyone, on here knows I am a recruiter for a national company, but I completely understand where you are coming from. Even for me, I have areas where I need coverage, where I do not know the big players, and have nothing to go on other than what I read on here and other social media. Even if I were to know these great contractors, many of them are scared to work with a company with very little information out there (such as the one I work for), so it is extremely hard not to rely on social media and the evil forms of recruiting (CL and such). I do not blame a single one of them though, because they have every reason to doubt, there has been so much shadiness and despicable behavior in this industry it is, frankly, alarming. To sum it up, I completely agree that people need to do their research, and only take the opportunities that are right for them, but not all of the nationals are evil lol.
If you need any Subs in Eastern Ky or Southwest Va. Please feel free to contact me, Thanks

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
This thread is a little off track.

I would like to stay on topic here if we can. I know this thread may seem like a Newbie rant but it's really more of a newbie warning.

The issues discussed here are not things that may happen. These things WILL happen. If not to you then to someone you know.

A very wise veteran from this very board shared a great philosophy with me. There is no magic to it simply build in the cost. Expect the no pays and chargebacks and look at it as the cost of doing business.

Does that mean go work for Cyprexx or SG? No it certainly does not. It means when you look at a price sheet and project you profits, you must also figure in at least a 10-15% loss. We use 12% as a factor for our projections and some years it's low others it's high. Remember your company is parasitic to the National, which is Parasitic to the bank which is parasitic to the FED. When the companies higher on the food chain need profits every company dependent upon them will suffer to at least some degree. Mr. Reagan called this trickle down economics sadly the profits do not seem to trickle down.

·
Registered
642 Posts
.....sadly the profits do not seem to trickle down.
Good point. On the flip side, the losses WILL trickle down and eventually come out of your pocket.

When a company you are doing business with suddenly comes out with new and ridiculous requirements with no extra compensation, it's a good sign they are in financial trouble and looking for easy charge backs to make up their losses.

Don't play that game...you will lose.

·
GeorgeKarash
10 Posts
This makes it very important to ask for a contractor license. In that way, at least, we can be sure that the guy knows.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
This makes it very important to ask for a contractor license. In that way, at least, we can be sure that the guy knows.
Almost NONE of the people operating in my area have a contractor's license and only 1 county even requires it.

The clients need to address it by hiring better vendors. Instead they just require more pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New In Town

I want to know who are the best companies to sign-up with for cleanout / preservation. I'd also like to know if the days of calling up a realtor are over. I hear they use to and sometimes still do disburse the cleanout work for REO PROPERTIES.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I want to know who are the best companies to sign-up with for cleanout / preservation. I'd also like to know if the days of calling up a realtor are over. I hear they use to and sometimes still do disburse the cleanout work for REO PROPERTIES.
Calling them up is probably not going to work. You need an actual marketing plan and strategy.

NONE of the companies are good to work for. That means absolutely zero. Some are just worse than others.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts