REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a new one today. I went to a new property today and the house reeked of insecticide. We found two 1 gallon spray bottles of insecticide in the house. One was full and the second was about 3/4 empty.

A quick search found puddles of the stuff on all of the floors in the kitchen and the bathrooms. The sliding door track needed to be cleaned and it looked like mud in it there was so much of it.

Some of the cabinets were literally soaked inside and had insecticide dripping on the backside and the shelves were soaked as well.

It is a safe bet the person who did this is not a licensed applicator, or very bright.

I am sending it all in tonight and telling them I have less than no desire to clean this hazardous mess up.

I know they are going to want me to clean it up. If for no other reason than they know I will do a thorough job.

Besides gloves and opening up the house for max ventilation, what suggestions do you have for safe cleanup?

Anyone else ever run across this and how did you handle it?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Was it over the counter or professional grade?

I'm licensed to apply insecticides and 75% of it has no effects on humans. Most likely they used an over the counter insecticide that's a contact insecticides and they has no effects on any hard body animals. Those insecticides attack by drying out soft body creatures.

If I was you I wouldn't worry about it because most likely the insecticide will naturally absorb into its environment like it was labeled to do

·
Registered
414 Posts
use some box fans. ventilation is one of the biggest needs when dealing with vapors. And good rubber gloves for anyone doing the cleaning. I would also check the labels on the bug spray and make sure whatever cleaner you use won't re-act adversely with any ingredient of the bug spray. I'd try to stay away from ammonia based cleaners. But your choices are limited. Good luck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Most likely you want have anything to clean unless they spray gallons and gallons of the stuff. You suppose to apply heavy with that stuff because it a barrier insecticide

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I saw it looked like the cockroaches and the spiders were having a war. Lots of both of them dead in the house.

What gets me is it looks like the guy literally poured it on the floor. And the smell was nasty in the whole house. Reminded me of a house that a bug bomb had been set off in.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,431 Posts
I would also use some sort of breathing protection...even though the type of material yo describe has little effect on hard bodied creatures they can be some possible lung ailments that occur...

Any time you use or work around anything the end with "cide" the substance is designed to "kill" something. the use of Eye, skin and respiratory protection is always a wise decision...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts