REO Property Preservation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does every property get mowed with a bagger attachment or what? I see that the regulations out there indicate that all clippings are removed from the yard. How do you do that, especially on big yards? Where do you take the clippings? So far when I've done grass, it was with a bagger attachment and a lot of dumping. But every property?

·
Registered
751 Posts
When possible I mow the properties in a circle blowing away from the house. Therefore no clippings in the yard.

I also mow a pattern to blow them out of the yard and mulch the hell out of them. That is where a powerful mower comes in real handy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
25 horsepower hustler zero turn. I start at the house, blowing it into the yard. then I trim the hell out of everything. right down to the dirt. back in the drivers seat at the perimeter, exhausting it outward, being careful of the neighbors. if neighbors is cut nice, I go to great lengths to keep the clippings from blowing onto theirs. once it's cut, I go over it again if there's windrows. I also removed the discharge shield. I have been known to spray grass killer around the areas that need to be trimmed. I spend extra time in the spring on each cut so as to save time later in the season. bagging's a bitch. it doesn't work to bag. I overcame it with horsepower. just don't send any rocks thru the neighbors windows.

·
Registered
414 Posts
only time we bag is when there's no place to blow the clippings, or the clippings are too thick to move with the mower. 20hp will only do so much with 3ft tall thick grass.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheew... ok, but...

What about huge yards? I will be doing a lot of rural properties it would seem. Do I do anything special there? I guess the master-blaster type mowing you do a lot could pretty much send the mulched grass anywhere if you keep sending it in the direction of the wind.

I am just a little leery because I have so far done just a couple of yards at the end of last year. The main one was a pretty big lot and it was roughly 4 feet high in one section. (It was taller and had fallen over) There was a sign posted on the door from the city. Being a city lot and directly across from the city's high school, they had a lot of complaints from code compliance. :)

Anyway, I had a guy mow it low in a single pass (for most of it) with his Grasshopper. He had a bagging attachment. He made a ton of dumps onto his trailer and then dumped his trailer probably 3 times. I was just scared I would need a bagger all year.

I have heard good comments about the yard. People were pretty amazed to see it cut. I was amazed I made money on the deal (it took 2 months of price haggling to get the job and the weather was getting cold) But hopefully we can put that behind us and just mow and blow these work orders like typical customers starting April 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Big

You can see the football field behind. And my pathetic photo angle. But this is some healthy grass as you can see by the chain link gate. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When we finally cut it...

The grass had almost completely died and was tilted over by the time it was approved and cut down. The guys wore jackets. At least most trees still had their leaves... :icon_wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
The grass had almost completely died and was tilted over by the time it was approved and cut down. The guys wore jackets. At least most trees still had their leaves... :icon_wink:

Hey!! Another Grasshopper owner!!!! I LOVE mine for big lawns!!!!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Seeing those pictures reminded me of a job I did about 4 years ago for BAC. 1 acre yard at least 4 feet high with 8 ft saplings growing through the grass (tells you how long it had been since it was cut). Told the cube monkey it would have to be brush hogged and I was not "bailing" the clippings, I would go over them with a mulching kit after. Show up with my tractor and brush hog attached and in pulls a guy with a 36 inch deck yard man lawn tractor. (Real piece of work this guy) Says he has the order to cut it and his tractor will take care of it:lol::lol::lol:. I bid 450 he bid 250 called the company and they said send him away. I was so tempted to say go ahead and I'll give you an extra 50 bucks. I'll go grab a 12 pack and a lawn chair and watch just for the entertainment value:icon_wink:

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you don't know what to charge. Call a lawn service tell them the size of the lot, how tall the weeds and etc. and they will probably give you an estimate over the phone what they would do the job for. I think you'll be surprised how expensive a lawn service is. Oh, and their "theory" you'll make up your loss due to bulk amounts of grass cuts - Bull **** - that just means you're going to work harder and longer for less.:censored:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sometimes there is just no mulching. That's when a professional machine come in. 1 pass and out of there........:thumbup::thumbup:
ever have problem with it clogging up on you? I have an ex mark and spent more time cleaning hose out than mowing. ended up taking grass catch off! IMG_1718.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
If you don't know what to charge. Call a lawn service tell them the size of the lot, how tall the weeds and etc. and they will probably give you an estimate over the phone what they would do the job for. I think you'll be surprised how expensive a lawn service is. Oh, and their "theory" you'll make up your loss due to bulk amounts of grass cuts - Bull **** - that just means you're going to work harder and longer for less.:censored:

You can TRY to call a pro lawn service and get over the phone pricing.

And body thats been around the block more than once won't play ball.
Reason being is its either a clueless FNG calling to get an idea on market pricing or a non serious home owner.
A pro will not price some thing with so many variables as a lawn over the phone.

Reactions: thanohano44

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Matt I never bagged a stem of grass when I was doing bank owned lawns.

I could have easily made all that go away, but not one pass.

Reactions: JDRM
1 - 20 of 33 Posts