1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you create your routes?
What equipment do you use?
If you have used more than one brand and type of tool to creat routes which do you find the most efficeint and economical???

·
Registered
694 Posts
findthebestroute.com to plan an optimized route

Then use a Tom tom between houses. Phones have GPS, but battery life can be an issue. Tom Toms are cheap.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Microsoft Street and Trips or whatever its called. I use it to create a route and export the data to a Garmin.... Works good enough. Works about 98% of the time with no issues. I do get a couple bad addresses occasionally, but usually its obvious if your paying attention.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Sometimes i'm glad i live in a lightly populated area. I have lived in this valley for 4 years and haven't used a gps regularly in 3. Every once in a while something will stump me but a quick call to a fellow contractor and one of us will usually figure it out. 10,000 Sq Miles and very few roads. All of our towns are mostly on number streets and number avenues which makes things simple as well.

As far as advise? Download the Dragon app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nuance.dragon&hl=en open it, say go to blah, blah, blah address, it opens up google maps and your on your way......

·
Business Consultant
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the mistakes that I see people make is starting at the beginning of a route instead of starting from the farthest point.
I help all our employees with route development and I alwys have them start at the farthest point from the office..or most the time their house....
I found you are able to have a more direct route with this method...

·
Registered
847 Posts
One of the mistakes that I see people make is starting at the beginning of a route instead of starting from the farthest point.
I help all our employees with route development and I alwys have them start at the farthest point from the office..or most the time their house....
If you have a north to south, or east to west route that is the best way( in my opinion). Mainly because if you cant get to a few, they are close to office and can be done first thing the next day. But...... 99% of my routes seem to be in more of a circle pattern, and even with this, I try to get to the furthest ones as early in the day as possible.Usually knock out a few on the way to that point.:thumbsup: And I use Google maps, maybe im just stuck in my ways??:thumbsup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I use Mapquest Route Planner.

I normally start with closest one because I usually work till dark and I can drive home in the dark from the farthest point.

I have found I can get between one and two more services completed each day this way because I start working sooner.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts

I normally start with closest one because I usually work till dark and I can drive home in the dark from the farthest point.

I have found I can get between one and two more services completed each day this way because I start working sooner.

Either that or start earlier in the morning driving to the farthest away in the dark.
Like in the winter when the days are shorter.

·
Business Consultant
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I also did this ...at first...I wasn't able to get my coffee in so I switched it...gotta get my coffee issue in or I don't function well...also being on the west coast PST zone I used that time to talk(yes I have a bluetooth) to clients back east...

·
Registered
681 Posts

I do the same , closer to home when completeing the day

·
Registered
343 Posts
Microsoft streets and trips for office setup you can get the version that has a GPS device that plugs into your laptop or a conventional window mount type
a rooted smartphone so i can plug in the laptop for the google map look down if streets and trips doesnt see it and yes go all the way to the end of your route and start working home ward

1 - 13 of 13 Posts