REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
That is such a sad rate!!!!!

I just got $100 an acre, x2 for a local job. Took less than 2 hrs and I was not a high speed jockey, just kept steady at it.

No way in thunder I'm mowing an acre for $32!!!!!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I love these people mowing up to an aces for 32.00 do you know what hey are charging their clients. For an acre we get around 175.00. Takes about an hour.
We dont cut anything for less than 35.00 and that is only up to 5k

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love these people mowing up to an aces for 32.00 do you know what hey are charging their clients. For an acre we get around 175.00. Takes about an hour.
Are you working for a National? If so please let me know who because I just keep turning the $32.00 large lots down for this company. That is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Does anybody really do up to one acre for this company at their $32.00 rate?
I past on the $35 I was given! They were paying $45 until last summer! I just laugh at them! They try to say if you do the initials you have to do recuts, as if you were making a killing off of the initials!!!! ps I`m doing very little for them now! Realtor are calling and asking about properties not getting mowed or not entire lawn being mowed!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Does anybody really do up to one acre for this company at their $32.00 rate?
I do them. I currently have two properties that are just shy of 1 acre. I also have properties that are tiny. It really is not that big of a deal as long as I only have a couple of them.

I really do not care what Cyprexx charges their clients. My deal is with them. I fire employees when they piss and moan about me making more money than them so why should I complain about what I make in a deal I agreed to.

Around here you would be lucky to get $100 to mow an acre. Typically you get about $50 to $75 at the most. You can say you would not do it at that price, but when the mortgage is due and the kids have empty bellies I imagine that would change.

I past on the $35 I was given! They were paying $45 until last summer! I just laugh at them! They try to say if you do the initials you have to do recuts, as if you were making a killing off of the initials!!!! ps I`m doing very little for them now! Realtor are calling and asking about properties not getting mowed or not entire lawn being mowed!
I am happy you have to do recuts on properties you do initials for. I hated it when they had separate initials vendors because they sucked. In fact most of them would have to have done the job a lot better just to suck at it. Grass not mowed, debris pitched into the empty lot next door or carried to the back side of the property and dumped and attics still full of debris. And none of them have ever heard of soap, own an edger or have a clue what a ladder is.

I would have to spend insane amounts of time documenting, bidding and completing the initial services as a maintenance vendor. Inspectors would try and hammer me for issues that were left by the initials vendors and then I would have to spend even more time pointing out that I was waiting on approval of my bid to complete the job someone else had already been paid for so the issues were not mine to deal with yet.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally understand the statement about taking care of your kids and mortgage but you said it yourself. You are getting $32.00 where you should in your area be getting $50.00-$75.00. Just imagine if you stood up against them and got what you are worth. You would have more food for those children and maybe even some money left over after mortgage to spend on you??:thumbup:

I understand that times are hard but we as contractors are just making it harder for ourselves by letting a company dictate our pricing. This is the only industry where something like this is happening and we are letting it.

I dare anyone to call up a local plumber, landscaper, handyman etc.. and tell him what you will pay him to do his job. Also, he has to be insured like we are.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I totally understand the statement about taking care of your kids and mortgage but you said it yourself. You are getting $32.00 where you should in your area be getting $50.00-$75.00. Just imagine if you stood up against them and got what you are worth. You would have more food for those children and maybe even some money left over after mortgage to spend on you??:thumbup:

I understand that times are hard but we as contractors are just making it harder for ourselves by letting a company dictate our pricing. This is the only industry where something like this is happening and we are letting it.

I dare anyone to call up a local plumber, landscaper, handyman etc.. and tell him what you will pay him to do his job. Also, he has to be insured like we are.
If he has found a way to make money then good for him. Honestly I would have no problem doing $35 acre cuts if there were just a couple of them. If they gave you $100 cuts and 90 of them were less then 15k and 10 were acres would you really care if they gave you a flat rate of $35? I don't really get the point of bitching about not making enough money on a single job, I work in averages. If they are giving me enough volume that I average out to where I want then I don't bitch. Because the thing you need to remember is that if you bitch too much they can easily find someone else to do the job that is happy to have it.

Case in point: I loose money on probably 50% of the jobs I do for a particular service. Not a lot mind you but maybe $20-$30, but then they come through with a $40k approval that I put $15k in my pocket for and it all averages out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
1 acre cuts depend on grass height. 5-8 inches I can see that but 8-14 inches screw that. No way I'm even unloading my machine off the trailer for $32

·
Registered
588 Posts
Believe me I have no problem with people making a profit, hell that is what we are all in business for. BUT there is a difference in a company making an honest profit and just taking advantage of people.
Do I make a profit when I sub some of our cuts? Of course I do, but I am not making as much or more than the person doing the work.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Believe me I have no problem with people making a profit, hell that is what we are all in business for. BUT there is a difference in a company making an honest profit and just taking advantage of people.
Do I make a profit when I sub some of our cuts? Of course I do, but I am not making as much or more than the person doing the work.
Sorry But I disagree. I will push , more like shove, the envelope and make it ($$) as much as there is to be made as long as it will be made. I'm not doing this for my physical healt more over my monetary health. Wear and tear and replacement of equipment is where the other money goes when doing an acre for 100$ ! A missed rock in the yard and you are now looking at a bent crankshaft or a new spindle, blade and adapter not to mention your time to go and repair and return to the property !

I had a cut the neighbor was doing and taking the pictures emailing them to me. They were doing it with their HUGE farm tractor and it took them 20 minutes. Their cut was 50 mine 200 and we all smiled !

·
Registered
588 Posts
Ok so you paid them 50.00 and you kept 200.00. That is great you made your profit and he made what he needed too. But that doesn't cover the other fact of the 32.00 acre. Anybody that will cut up to an acre for $32.00 is, well at this point there is no nice way of putting it, they are morons.
The day that I can only charge 32.00 for an acre is the day I sell my equipment and find another line of work.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
If he has found a way to make money then good for him. Honestly I would have no problem doing $35 acre cuts if there were just a couple of them. If they gave you $100 cuts and 90 of them were less then 15k and 10 were acres would you really care if they gave you a flat rate of $35? I don't really get the point of bitching about not making enough money on a single job, I work in averages. If they are giving me enough volume that I average out to where I want then I don't bitch. Because the thing you need to remember is that if you bitch too much they can easily find someone else to do the job that is happy to have it.

Case in point: I loose money on probably 50% of the jobs I do for a particular service. Not a lot mind you but maybe $20-$30, but then they come through with a $40k approval that I put $15k in my pocket for and it all averages out.

I challenge you to find a single solitary business thats been in business for 20 years that operates on the 50/50 chance they'll make money on a job.

JUST ONE.

I'm not real hopeful that you'll be successful at finding ONE.
I'm even less hopeful that your business model is sustainable for 10, 15, 20 or more years.

The law of averages doesn't usually work in the working man's favor!

Reactions: Valley and STARBABY

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ok so you paid them 50.00 and you kept 200.00. That is great you made your profit and he made what he needed too. But that doesn't cover the other fact of the 32.00 acre. Anybody that will cut up to an acre for $32.00 is, well at this point there is no nice way of putting it, they are morons.
The day that I can only charge 32.00 for an acre is the day I sell my equipment and find another line of work.
My point morons they are! I will simple sit back let them work for nothing! another thing to remember is Cyprexx wants you to mow up to an acre,weed eat,edge,clean outside window sills,remove cob webs,remove any trash from yard! All this for $32 or $35!

there are so many people getting into this line of work that have no clue! They feed the line of volume you will make money! I believe most only look at there fuel cost when taking these jobs!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts