REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are making enough but we're not working everyday and I wish we did. I don't like sitting here doing nothing all day. Anyone else feel the same? I know it might be different in more populated areas but driving through the rural mountains is nice.

We bring our 2 year old, dog, and my future wife on every job. I enjoy working.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I work too much---I schedule myself days off and still end up doing work related B.S. OH well.....

I would recommend against bringing the little ones along--kinda scary if you ask me. JMO.
Yeah, definitely can be dangerous depending on the area. He sits in the truck sometimes. We've been lucky and have only had one house that wasn't pretty nice this season.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I'm in the office 90% of the time now, and my office is next to where I live, so I work 24/7. My job is to make sure my guys have jobs. When I was loading up the truck in the morning and on site everyday, it was 6 days a week.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm in the office 90% of the time now, and my office is next to where I live, so I work 24/7. My job is to make sure my guys have jobs. When I was loading up the truck in the morning and on site everyday, it was 6 days a week.
I am very similar to GTX. I have guys working generally 6 days a week 12 hrs a day, so I work a more standard 40 hr work week but am "on call" from 7 AM to 10 PM pretty much everyday and I definitely get calls almost everyday in that time frame. Not to mention the nationals are pretty much calling in that same time frame, too.

·
Registered
694 Posts
We are making enough but we're not working everyday and I wish we did. I don't like sitting here doing nothing all day. Anyone else feel the same? I know it might be different in more populated areas but driving through the rural mountains is nice.

Working everyday is good/fun for awhile, but it will burn you out eventually. Spend Sundays with the family, go to the zoo, park, work on your own house. Even though you will be thinking about work half the time, it's still important to do. When you start working 7 days a week, and can't dedicate most of a day to yourself, that's when you know it's time to hire help.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

I work in the field 3 to 4 days a week in late fall/winter/early spring. Late Spring/Summer/early fall its usually 5 to 6 days per week.

My suggestion is do NOT sit around doing nothing. Develop a website, if you have one work on it. Develop a flyer to give to realtors/land lords/property management companies, etc. Spend the time writing a business plan if you don't have one. Do a break even analysis on the services that you provide. Personally, in your shoes, I would count my blessings. Kids are only going to get older and it happens fast. My youngest is 9 1/2 already.

Too many times nationals and regionals will run you so ragged, you only have time to work IN the business, not ON the business. There is a huge difference......Use the time to work on your business.

·
Registered
588 Posts
For the past 3 weeks I have been working 7 days a week. Trying to hire some people but even in this economy it is hard to get people.
Tried hiring somebody for grass cuts and his response was "well I charge $25.00 a lawn". I asked if he was a business with insurance and he said no.
Hired another guy for $110.00 a day. Day 1 after 4 hours, "oh I have an emergency gotta leave". Day 2 I can work but only 4 hours, do I still get paid the full amount? bye bye.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Working everyday is good/fun for awhile, but it will burn you out eventually. Spend Sundays with the family, go to the zoo, park, work on your own house. Even though you will be thinking about work half the time, it's still important to do. When you start working 7 days a week, and can't dedicate most of a day to yourself, that's when you know it's time to hire help.
AMEN Absent father or husband sindrome SUCKS! My dad was gone for 11 hours a day. When he was home and IF he had 3 martinis he was an ass. Spend time with the kids and wife, especially the latter. She will support you throught the times the money is gone. If she does not kick her to the curb. Speaking from expeirence. Live like a popper on a kings income.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Live like a popper on a kings income.
One of my guys told me I need to buy a super nice truck since I own the business and didn't know why I drive a 97 prior salvage damaged f150(the worst vehicle in our fleet). I explained that I liked the money in the bank rather than in my car. I will spend the money necessary on the business but I spend as little as possible on myself. Times are great now but as we all know a national can drop you at any time and eventually the foreclosure market will slow down.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's allways crazy. First you don't have enough work...you beat the streets, tell all you need some work. BAMM, too much work and never a break. I have noticed a pattern with the nationals though, THEY (our "cooridinators" or our account "handlers") usually has the weekend off and after you complete all the weeks work over the weekend, come Monday early Tues. I don't have enough going on...till WENSDAY then get slammed than have to work the whole weekend to get things done on time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's allways crazy. First you don't have enough work...you beat the streets, tell all you need some work. BAMM, too much work and never a break. I have noticed a pattern with the nationals though, THEY (our "cooridinators" or our account "handlers") usually has the weekend off and after you complete all the weeks work over the weekend, come Monday early Tues. I don't have enough going on...till WENSDAY then get slammed than have to work the whole weekend to get things done on time.
Yep! Has been the norm for a long time! I always have work the first of the week(it`s what they wanted me to do over the weekend!!) I run my company I do not let them!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.