REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you guys pay your help? Weekly? Bi-Weekly? If you pay on say, a Friday, are you paying for the previous two weeks? Right now I usually pay weekly on Tuesdays for the previous week but have considered changing it.

G

·
SwiftRes said:
How do you guys pay your help? Weekly? Bi-Weekly? If you pay on say, a Friday, are you paying for the previous two weeks? Right now I usually pay weekly on Tuesdays for the previous week but have considered changing it.
Why Tuesday?

G

·
Probably to keep his hands from getting hammered on the weekend and not showing up Monday :laughing:

My dad used to do it

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jaws said:
:eek: Pretty low operating funds, huh?
Extremely variable gross sales with 30-60 day delay. But that's why I did it to begin with awhile ago, yes. Had to start somewhere

G

·
Jaws said:
Probably to keep his hands from getting hammered on the weekend and not showing up Monday :laughing:

My dad used to do it
If they can't show up on Monday, they can start looking for a different job on Tuesday. I like to drink. I usually go to sleep around midnight. I'm up by 6am and on time to 95% of my appointments. If I'm not on time the customer gets a call and an estimated time I'll be there. Usually because of traffic.

I have no patience for anyone that can't get out of bed and go to work.
I should say go to work and not be hung over or smelling like a distillery.

G

·
SwiftRes said:
Extremely variable gross sales with 30-60 day delay. But that's why I did it to begin with awhile ago, yes. Had to start somewhere
I get it. net 30 can be a real bitch.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
summithomeinc said:
I get it. net 30 can be a real bitch.
Yeah net 30 if we're lucky. Average in this industry is probably 45 days. Can make for some pretty high outstanding AR sometimes.

G

·
summithomeinc said:
If they can't show up on Monday, they can start looking for a different job on Tuesday. I like to drink. I usually go to sleep around midnight. I'm up by 6am and on time to 95% of my appointments. If I'm not on time the customer gets a call and an estimated time I'll be there. Usually because of traffic.

I have no patience for anyone that can't get out of bed and go to work.
I should say go to work and not be hung over or smelling like a distillery.
I feel you, and I agree but when your dealing with framers (no disrespect to framers) and you have quite a few guys, its easier to do stuff like that than train new hands all the time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
summithomeinc said:
Why Tuesday?
We always paid on Tuesday as well when I was a foreman for construction company. When we used to pay on a Friday about mid week the second week everybody would be asking for advances because they blew all the money at the bar Friday they got paid. Paying on Tuesday they typically would pay the bills and have no money to go out partying so you kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

G

·
Jaws said:
I feel you, and I agree but when your dealing with framers (no disrespect to framers) and you have quite a few guys, its easier to do stuff like that than train new hands all the time. :thumbsup:
It has been my experience that workers are like children. They will do whatever they can get away with. What I usually do is if a guy lays out a day I'll give him another day off to be sure he is recovered. Most times it only takes once or twice and they don't like the hit to their wallet. If it continues I find someone more motivated.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
summithomeinc said:
It has been my experience that workers are like children. They will do whatever they can get away with. What I usually do is if a guy lays out a day I'll give him another day off to be sure he is recovered. Most times it only takes once or twice and they don't like the hit to their wallet. If it continues I find someone more motivated.
That works great in a down economy. Go over to the oil patch in North Dakota in try that though. You can quit 1 job there in a half an hour have another job lined up. Hey guy I just talk to the other night drove all night over there 600 miles in April got out of his car at 2 in the afternoon with no job prospects and by three thirty was pouring concrete with no sleep at all.

G

·
Different time, boom was on and it it was a different kind of work. Like I said we pay on Friday now. It was more of a preventive measure.

G

·
mtmtnman said:
That works great in a down economy. Go over to the oil patch in North Dakota in try that though. You can quit 1 job there in a half an hour have another job lined up. Hey guy I just talk to the other night drove all night over there 600 miles in April got out of his car at 2 in the afternoon with no job prospects and by three thirty was pouring concrete with no sleep at all.
A friend of mine was taking about that the other day. Wanted to go work there. It may be true, but that is the exception, not the norm. Most places, in a bad economy or not, people want to keep their job. They want 40 hours a week too.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay another question that's somewhat related. How do you handle your accounting, both payroll and just general expenses? I know this is size dependent, but, do you do some yourself, all outsourced, accountant, employee, etc.? Quickbooks or some other sort of software?

G

·
SwiftRes said:
Okay another question that's somewhat related. How do you handle your accounting, both payroll and just general expenses? I know this is size dependent, but, do you do some yourself, all outsourced, accountant, employee, etc.? Quickbooks or some other sort of software?
Right now I do it all through Quick books. Give it to my accountant in january and let her do the taxes. I am considering changes though. She offered to do everything other than entering payments in QB for 75.00/mo. Seems worth it to me.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I pay on monday every two weeks.

Its just like has been said. They'll pay their bills on monday rather than spend it all at the bar on friday/saturday and less likely to show up hung over monday.

As for advances.................. don't start it. I used to work for a real prick.
We've all heard the expression that so and so would screw over his mom to make a buck..........
this guy was way beyond that. He'd screw himself if he could make a buck at it.
Any way on advances he would not advance at any time for any reason. Your mom could be on her death bead and you needed $50 to buy gas to go to the hospital in time.............. TOUGH SH(T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go cry to some one else because he wasn't about to advance you the first red cent.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
summithomeinc said:
A friend of mine was taking about that the other day. Wanted to go work there. It may be true, but that is the exception, not the norm. Most places, in a bad economy or not, people want to keep their job. They want 40 hours a week too.

I've got a good friend that moved from here to Dickinson ND.
That story is not an exception!
Two requirements to get a job there....... pass the pee test and breath.
To keep the job you need to be fairly reliable.
But if you get fired go across the street, they're hiring.

SwiftRes said:

I use QB and have some interaction with my accountant for end of quarter taxes etc.
Payroll is so easy thru QB there is no reason to outsource it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts