REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some reading and have come across some info but I thought I would ask this in a new thread.

I have owned a landscape business for 15 years but want to broaden our scope of work. I looked into pp work in 07 and 08 and dabbled a but but in the end decided the money was not worth the problems for us.

Now 4 years later, I have talked into by a couple employees to take a second look at the industry. I have been in contact with some nationals and a regional and have turned down the opportunity (if you want to call it that) to work for them. Nothing makes me want to work for them, the contract, the pay and the loopholes all seem to set us up for failure.

With that all said i know guys are in this industry and I would assume they are making money.

What am I missing. Is it a high volume low profit thing? Is the profit on the back end in resale what you clean out? Am i Just not in contact with the right nationals? Do i stay away from nationals all together and is so who do i work for?

Thank you for any input.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Since it sounds like you deal only with the private market I'll compare the two. One is a face to face local client that pays on your terms. The other may be across the country run by inexperienced youths who may pay 60, 90 days or more, or not at all. One pays you according to the prices you set. The other pays you according to what they feel is the cheapest they can get someone for. Your customers may be within a 25 miles radius. They may require you to cover an area counties or even state wide. Volume over price is a myth.Your best bet to make money in this business is to contact the Brokers who handle these properties and get under their wing. The terms are much more favorable to you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Prices in the industry have dropped so far since 07-08. $40 to $50 for a recut back then and now they want it done for $30-$35(if your lucky more like $25 atleast in CA)If you were to get into it working with nationals would probably be best there way there is no regional middle man. As for cleaning stuff out and selling it for profit, doesnt happen that often, the agents are 1st man on site and will take anything of value. If you were to get into the business pick a small tight coverage area and stick to it. There are crews in CA "recutting" yards for $15 a pop with a 2 man crew cutting 32 properties. So that is what you are going to compete with.

Best advice is look at the numbers, numbers do not lie... People do

Ask the companies that are soliciting you to send you their price sheet, crunch the numbers and go from there bud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, In the lawn and landscape industry, we have nationals completely ruining the commercial market. We refuse to even consider working for them, but with all the nation talk in pp work i wasn't sure there was another way.

By brokers are we talking listing agents?

What about local banks and credit unions? Do they handle this stuff themselves on a local level?

Are there any nationals who are ok to work with?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, listing agents. If there are realtor signs up on assets with overgrowth call code enforcement. Then solicit them to cut and maintain yard. Local banks have some assets but good luck getting in with them.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I have owned a landscape business for 15 years but want to broaden our scope of work. I looked into pp work in 07 and 08 and dabbled a but but in the end decided the money was not worth the problems for us.

Now 4 years later, I have talked into by a couple employees to take a second look at the industry.

It HAS NOT gotten better since 07/08!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In fact the pricing is a lot worse today.

Thank you, In the lawn and landscape industry, we have nationals completely ruining the commercial market. We refuse to even consider working for them,

There are still plenty of locally controlled commercial accounts, but you gotta pursue them.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,409 Posts
If you couldnot make things work four years ago...ain't gonna happen today....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts