REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a FNG. I've been a sub for a FAS vendor since feb 2010 (untill Aug last summer when they lost the fannie contract). After a few months in the end there they changed the rules on thier pay rates as far as "hazards" IE paints, electronics, tires, ect....
I'm now a P&P vendor for Safeguard and don't get alot of "trash outs". I just did a convey condition order and have to remove debris along with about 50 gals of paint, electronics (tvs) and some tires. In the old days (a year ago) we billed for each of these hazards, now I don't know how this works. Yes I'm very new to invoicing and only just got over the hump of "credentialing" How do you invoice these items?

·
Registered
30 Posts
1st of all make sure you have all the lic to carry all the items. In state of CA you are only permitted to haul 9 tires at a time. Any more you have to have a TPID number and paper trail. Hazard hauling = alot of paper work for not enough pay imo

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
Gary,

Last I heard SG bills it by the CYD on the hazards. I know a couple of our companies started this just before we quit. They were saying 27 gallon cans of paints per cyd, oils were the same. Tires were 3 per cyd.

I have a "landfill breakdown" line item sheet that was printed from Waste Management for MN that shows disposal costs....Car tire $5, Car tire w/rim $6, Truck tire $7, Truck w/rim $8, Farm tire $25, Appliances $23 per item, copy machine and electronics $30, Couch $21 per item AND UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS;;;;;::::: used oils, paints, flourescent bulbs, yard waste, batteries, fridges etc etc.

We submitted this list and they would allow us to charge "per item". If you need just shoot an p.m. and I'll email it to you.

Also if anyone in the Twin Cities area needs a list, with phone numbers (names on some), to all the utility providers just let me know and I'll shoot that to you too.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Please shoot one for me too;)

·
Registered
694 Posts
I have gotten them to pay for hazards on the REO side above the typical per CYD, if the hazards are excessive(ex, we did 100 tires from a property).

Haven't had much luck on the P&P side, but we haven't run across any with an excessive amount of hazards either. But they are at HUD rates here, which is higher than their REO pricing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Gary,

Last I heard SG bills it by the CYD on the hazards. I know a couple of our companies started this just before we quit. They were saying 27 gallon cans of paints per cyd, oils were the same. Tires were 3 per cyd.

I have a "landfill breakdown" line item sheet that was printed from Waste Management for MN that shows disposal costs....Car tire $5, Car tire w/rim $6, Truck tire $7, Truck w/rim $8, Farm tire $25, Appliances $23 per item, copy machine and electronics $30, Couch $21 per item AND UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS;;;;;::::: used oils, paints, flourescent bulbs, yard waste, batteries, fridges etc etc.

We submitted this list and they would allow us to charge "per item". If you need just shoot an p.m. and I'll email it to you.

Also if anyone in the Twin Cities area needs a list, with phone numbers (names on some), to all the utility providers just let me know and I'll shoot that to you too.

Guys like this offering that is what this forum is all about .. im warm and fuzzy

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
In some areas of the country, landfills are no longer accepting items such as tvs, electronics. Paint or hazard waste recyclers may be few and far between. Companies like Safeguard tend to give the new guy the bs line of "Sorry, it is considered debris and it pays by the cyd". Yes, bid it, provide copies of county or city regs, the dump fees from your landfill, tire recycler rates, etc. Unless you are willing to do all the legwork and then to stand your ground on it, you'll be eating some high end disposal rates.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Even systems for breaking down hazards and ping ponging accross town to each drop off site are man hours and overhead that the Regional or National isn't covering the cost of, you are.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
For anyone who doesn't know, Best Buy will recycle a lot of electronics for you for free. For larger items they require a purchase, but smaller items, including computers, monitors, and TVs under 32", they take for free. Here's a list: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Global-...cs/pcmcat149900050025.c?id=pcmcat149900050025
I'm not sure if they are national, or not, but Goodwill takes electronics for free for recycling. Around here, they will even give you a receipt for the "donation" for income tax purposes. Best thing is they don't require any purchase and will take any size item working or not. I dropped off a 60" projection tv that was broken while donating some other items. No questions asked and I get the receipts for my accountant. :thumbup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
In some areas of the country, landfills are no longer accepting items such as tvs, electronics. Paint or hazard waste recyclers may be few and far between. Companies like Safeguard tend to give the new guy the bs line of "Sorry, it is considered debris and it pays by the cyd". Yes, bid it, provide copies of county or city regs, the dump fees from your landfill, tire recycler rates, etc. Unless you are willing to do all the legwork and then to stand your ground on it, you'll be eating some high end disposal rates.

by us in our county transfer stations we get hit like this

5 for a tv or electronic deal
5 for a tire up to 18
6 for a tire over 18
they have waste oil containers no charge just weight on trailer
no paint unless its been kitty littered and thats only latex

85.00per ton 20 minimum to cross the scale

okay using that rough guideline lets create a scenario

10 tvs @ 50 pounds = 500 lbs qtr ton ( we all have had the 30 tv house :cry:)
20 [email protected] 25 pounds= 500 lbs qtr ton

1000 lbs net 42.50
tires 20 100.00
tvs 10 50.00
labor O/H 100.00
total 292.50 bill to contractor from landfill

the CUYD on that,

( loose stack ) 5 cuyds on the tires
3 cuyds on the tvs
8 total @ 20 per =160.00 billable

to make something that resembles money here

you need to invoice both ways Haz rate+Cuyds rate = invoiceable amount

dont for get " pick and Sort or handling time. these items need to go on and off the trailer grouped properly ie our land fill has trailers for haz mats across the campus so thats another time factor etc etc

okay thats the way i bill it

this is how i handle it ( the spin )

tires go to frank the tire guy @ 2 per he is a recycler and on my way home
tvs go to to the scrap man @ 5 per he disassembles and recycles
metals go to scrap yard if i have room or set on curb for locals

same scenario

20 tires 40.00 from me
10 tvs 50.00 from me
90.00 outta pocket from me

i eat it on the tvs recycling wise 0 but its a eco friendly deal
tires are good money made 60
cuyds were okay made 160
saved a half ton in tipping 42 (didnt go)

there ya go 8 cuyds " tipped for free"

262.00 for 2 hours billable 90 outta pocket 172.00 net

its not much but its a profit
if we hadnt billed Haz rate+Cuyds rate= billable

we would have lost 160.00 on that

·
Registered
343 Posts
by us in our county transfer stations we get hit like this

5 for a tv or electronic deal
5 for a tire up to 18
6 for a tire over 18
they have waste oil containers no charge just weight on trailer
no paint unless its been kitty littered and thats only latex

85.00per ton 20 minimum to cross the scale

okay using that rough guideline lets create a scenario

10 tvs @ 50 pounds = 500 lbs qtr ton ( we all have had the 30 tv house :cry:)
20 [email protected] 25 pounds= 500 lbs qtr ton

1000 lbs net 42.50
tires 20 100.00
tvs 10 50.00
labor O/H 100.00
total 292.50 bill to contractor from landfill

the CUYD on that,

( loose stack ) 5 cuyds on the tires
3 cuyds on the tvs
8 total @ 20 per =160.00 billable

to make something that resembles money here

you need to invoice both ways Haz rate+Cuyds rate = invoiceable amount

dont for get " pick and Sort or handling time. these items need to go on and off the trailer grouped properly ie our land fill has trailers for haz mats across the campus so thats another time factor etc etc

okay thats the way i bill it

this is how i handle it ( the spin )

tires go to frank the tire guy @ 2 per he is a recycler and on my way home
tvs go to to the scrap man @ 5 per he disassembles and recycles
metals go to scrap yard if i have room or set on curb for locals

same scenario

20 tires 40.00 from me
10 tvs 50.00 from me
90.00 outta pocket from me

i eat it on the tvs recycling wise 0 but its a eco friendly deal
tires are good money made 60
cuyds were okay made 160
saved a half ton in tipping 42 (didnt go)

there ya go 8 cuyds " tipped for free"

262.00 for 2 hours billable 90 outta pocket 172.00 net

its not much but its a profit
if we hadnt billed Haz rate+Cuyds rate= billable

we would have lost 160.00 on that

just read where to tip the tvs VERY COOL add 50.00 to net

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
just read where to tip the tvs VERY COOL add 50.00 to net
The downside is every national or regional lurking here just read the same thing and now won't let us bid them.:sad:

I can see the mass email that starts off something like "Due to our extensive research, we've found a way to 'help' our contractors become more profitable. This quick tip is being shared to help you reduce your costs and therefore we will no longer accept bids to remove items like electronics".....:censored:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why don't you guys take the appliances to a scrap metal place. Most take the stuff for free or even pay you. Call a number on a telephone pole and some scraper will pick it up for free. I get paid $30 for every fridge I drop off, and check with your landfills most have a couple days a month where they take all the paint for free. Check with some paint stores, some will take the paint and mix it all up and give it away to low income or habait.

Alot of scrap metal pay for tv's and e-waste now.

We get paid .17 cent a pound for all e-waste that we drop off, they take tv's computer stuff, cell phones any that has comptuer chips in it.

I just took a load of scrap tv's and metal from trash out back last week and walked out with a check for $785

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Why don't you guys take the appliances to a scrap metal place. Most take the stuff for free or even pay you. Call a number on a telephone pole and some scraper will pick it up for free. I get paid $30 for every fridge I drop off, and check with your landfills most have a couple days a month where they take all the paint for free. Check with some paint stores, some will take the paint and mix it all up and give it away to low income or habait.

Alot of scrap metal pay for tv's and e-waste now.

We get paid .17 cent a pound for all e-waste that we drop off, they take tv's computer stuff, cell phones any that has comptuer chips in it.

I just took a load of scrap tv's and metal from trash out back last week and walked out with a check for $785
I wish I could. Right now, I take all metals including non freon containing appliances in for recycling. Around here, electronics and freon appliances aren't accepted by the recyclers.

I will have to check with habitat on the paint. Never thought of that one. Thanks for the tip. :thumbup:

I do keep all drylok and kilz and Bin products for painting over graffiti though. The rest of the paint gets filled with kitty litter for disposal.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
The downside is every national or regional lurking here just read the same thing and now won't let us bid them.:sad:

I can see the mass email that starts off something like "Due to our extensive research, we've found a way to 'help' our contractors become more profitable. This quick tip is being shared to help you reduce your costs and therefore we will no longer accept bids to remove items like electronics".....:censored:

Don't give the non geniuses any ideas. lol

As for freon, I've heard of guys even the "authorized" collection centers just bust a line and then claim it was that way when it was brought in.

I'd never do that, its illegal.

Reactions: STARBABY

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Don't give the non geniuses any ideas. lol

As for freon, I've heard of guys even the "authorized" collection centers just bust a line and then claim it was that way when it was brought in.

My recycling center requires them to be tagged with some sort of identification number and the contact info from the person/company that reclaimed the freon. Without it, they won't take them.

·
Registered
74 Posts

When I was employed by a national in home appliance repair company, my "mentor" claimed to often release refrigerants without capture inside the customers home-- He policy was "no big deal its only a few ounces no need to waste time with the vac pump, tank, scale and documentation". Needless to say he is no longer in the trade.

Not only is it illegal prosecution carries HUGE fines. The feds don't want the stuff vented to the atmosphere for good reason.

The R134 used today is not as harmful as the R12 used in small appliances until 1994. But either way the stuff is damaging when released.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts