REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just starting out doing this work after retiring from my job as a field tech. I currently own for the past ten years some rental properties, and have my share of stories and experience in dealing with tenants, and damages done during the eviction process. I figured this would be a good way to supplement my income in a bad economy as I have some experience. I am thinking of signing on with a national company and they want as part of a 15 page contract, a signed agreement that holds me responsible for ALL actions taken and not taken. If I miss ANYTHING, I will be responsible at my expense for any repairs missed (not Bidded or reported) on my initial visit. It states that this is an industry standard and not negotiable. Is this boiler plate? If so would I need to be insured beyond the normal GL ins? I'm getting a good deal of information from this board, and am grateful to you folks for putting your knowledge and time in for the benefit of all. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Welcome. I'm glad you caught that part on your contract. Most FNG's don't and they're bankrupt in a year.

The best advice I could give to you is to read up on FHA and HUD guidelines. Then apply Murphy's law to your bidding and estimation process. Anything that can hurt a child, person, cause an infestation etc. I usually bid to provide a FULL PCR/Damage Report on homes that are bad, suspect asbestos, etc in the home and place a disclaimer that says more bids may arise out of such a report. These can take you up to 5 hours or more to fill out and cannot be done for the cost of a lock change or lawn cut. Insurance adjusters, general contractors etc don't do this for free for vacant and bank owned homes. We have done work in 5 states since 2006 and haven't found anyone to give those type of bids for free once we mention bank owned or vacant/abandoned property.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts