REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
GT thats the sort of thing that happens when you have companies like Homeland that want a bid list as long as your arm.
Only problem their demanded pricing is too low to do things right.

Reactions: Valley

·
Registered
751 Posts
Very common to find this in my area. I like finding them because I get paid to correct them.

Had a hand rail about two months ago that was built out of the rotting 1x and 2x material that was buried under leaves behind the shed. I got $200 to tear it out and install one correctly made of 2x PT. Took less than 2 hours and used $50 in materials.

I routinely get paid to re-board windows. Usually it is the same rotting 2xs that need replacing. Another common one is threaded rod with a nut on the outside and inside instead of carriage bolts or it is like the ones in the pictures.

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
? . . .No carriage bolts and 2x4's, using particle board, and its not even covering the entire opening!. . .
That's not particle board, it's OSB (oriented strand board). Particle board is an interior use only product, usually countertop sub-straight. OSB on the other hand has a "wet-dry cycle" rating and can withstand limited exposure outside, usually used as wall and roof sheathing, and in the case of 3/4" T&G OSB, subfloor.

·
Registered
343 Posts
that board up does look like a " city " job i take em down frequently re bid and replace those hand rails are priceless btw that wint stick is an MCS piece and due to the fact its red where it says DANGER means the contractor is newish and hasnt figured out color copy/ printing costs more in actuality i have " cheated a bit " using OSB but we use all that paint we have to dispose of to " treat,weatherproof " the lumber prior to installation when we do use it we stipulate in the contract bid that we are going to do same and also give a price for conventional ply this has worked well for us over the years but that was prior to price slashing
when using the treated osb we figured the price point of the new lumber against the cost of the used/free lumber and actually made a couple more pennies per UI currently the big money is the carriage bolts they have close to tripled in price

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.