REO Property Preservation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help guaging how many cubic yards of debris I have. Is there a formula or a visual measurement that I can follow. I once saw that a bag of garbage was 1 cubic yard. Thanks.....New to the game.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trash-out meaning gut job, or meaning removing trash?

·
Registered
414 Posts
generally, it takes 3 normal sized trash bags (30 gal) stuffed full, to get close to a cyd. There isn't really any formula I can give you. It takes time and experience to be able to guage cubic yardage visually, when all the stuff is strown all over a yard or floor. It's kinda like riding a bike. Someone can tell you how to do it, but until it's you trying to keep your balance and pedal...well, you know how that goes.

It's best to build you a cubic yard frame. you can do this out of wood or pvc pipe. And just memorize it's volume. Maybe set the frame up in your office or just outside the door, so you can look at it often.

For an example: A queen mattress is 60 inches wide by 80 inches long and around 10 inches high. That makes 48,000 cubic inches or 27.78 cubic feet or just over 1 cubic yard. And that's just the mattress. Looking at a mattress standing against a wall, it's hard to tell how big it is in cubic yardage. Until you done the math and looked at enough of them.

I read this somewhere and it's good advice - if there is no profit in it, we’re not going to move it. We will move one cubic yard of gold bullion for free. One cubic yard of crushed stone in the front yard of a vacant home is going to cost considerably more than the allowable.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
What really chaps me is that some cubical mind in a far away place thinks they can count cubes from photos.

Well you can once they are loaded in a dumpster etc. But to try and cut bids by the photos only??
What a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
TRUE! I'm looking at a pile that is about 15' L, 10' W and 12'H. When worked with a formula I got offline, I come up with about 66 CYds. I'm going to pass on the job. I have to be able to make money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I use that formula that's what it tells me based on those measurements. Would you consider a lazy boy to be 1 cubic yard?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i do the math and i come up with 66.66 cyds, keep in mind the pile is probably not a cube but more of heap, just because the highest point of the pile x' the whole pile is not x'

·
Registered
537 Posts
hi

close yes,as previous poster stated normal cu yd is 3x3x3 so figure your measurements by that,section off a 3ft high pile by 3 ft wide also size of a wsher or dryer and thats 1 cu yd....this will take time to learn it..and it doesnt matter what u decide it is whoever you work for will always say different normally...ive never been questioned on mine and done thousands of trashouts,guess i learned real quick...good luck

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JuicyJ said:
Well. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. When I use that formula that's what it tells me based on those measurements. Would you consider a lazy boy to be 1 cubic yard?
if it was 3'x3'x3' I would

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is in that pile... and how is the pile stacked. If you be loading a dumpster by hand, you can pretty much throw everything in trying to keep uniform and just doing that you can gain room for a few extra yards....If you have a piece of equipment and you compact the dumpster, you can also get room for a few extra yards.

You have containers that mostly used on the site is 10-15-20-30-40 Yards.

10 Yard - 10'x 10'5"x 48"
15 Yard - 14'x 10'5"x 48"
20 Yard - 20'x 10'5"x47"
30 Yard - 20'x 10'5"x67"
40 Yard- 20'x 10'5"x90"

P.S Juicy, I don't mean to be out of line, but I have to say that is one beautiful smile you have in the picture :thumbsup:

·
Registered
616 Posts
standard pick up load 8 cydfor a quick and easy anyone been told that 125 gal paint =1 cyd from the nationals when it costs 2$ a gallon to make it a solid so you can dispose of it that is going backwards way too quick. The nationals response will be well you are making $$ on the trash out. NOT IF we are say supposed to do a trashout janit and yard for 600 take out sales tax (of 60 (540) 250 for paint chems (290) dump fees of 125 (165) janitorial supplys 10 (155) yard supplys 7 (148) labor 100 (48) gas 45 (3) workers comp and wear and tear ( we are not going to make any money) I don't see the industry getting any better anytime soon. These nationals are taking way too much and it is just going to be really nip and tuck till they figure out there is going to have to be a pay increase. If they cant trim the FAT in their house tough. We are ALL ( vendors ) working as lean and mean as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
d+jhomeservices said:
juicy with those measurements your nowhere close to 66 cu yds

Whats she doing wrong?

It was 66.7 when I figured it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
At a pile that big I'd be looking at trucks loads and not Yards3 :blink: dose your dump charge or do you dump free:blink: we get charged for commercial dumping and free to dump 2 a week for privet.

·
Registered
751 Posts
A very simple method is what I call counting washing machines.

A washing machine is about 1 cubic yard.

How many washing machines does the pile equal?

How many washing machine sized boxes will the debris fill?

I do not ever ever ever count anything as being broken down and I do not break things down or crush them. When I get paid by volume, not weight, I want it to take up space in the trailer.

Dressers go in empty and upside down. Buckets get stacked upside down and empty. Chests, trunks and boxes go it the same way.

Small loose stuff gets tossed in around the other stuff. I load trailers with a plan and a purpose, like a puzzle. If I bid 40 cubic yards you can bet my pictures will show 40 cubic yards when loaded.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Gypsos said:
A very simple method is what I call counting washing machines.

A washing machine is about 1 cubic yard.

Same here.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts