REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the process on how to get licensed in California to remove hazardous waste? I'm been doing research for awhile but keep getting the run around

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,436 Posts
You will need to aquire a Hazmat License, A CDOT Number for transporting.
They are very strict in CA about that.
FNMA has their own contract with a hazmat company is the information that I have been supplied.
I know that when we cross the border we have to leave anything...tires, paints and other liquids...including unidentifable liquids and refers and freezers, air condition units with condnsors...TV's and monitoes are classfified as E-Waste...

I would contact the cuounty treasurer where you get your business license...they should be able to tell you

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's funny because every fnma property I've done and left the chemicals behind there they still sits months later

·
Business Consultant
1,436 Posts
It's funny because every fnma property I've done and left the chemicals behind there they still sits months later

I wouldn't dount it...I try not to cross the border...too many regulations over there...sems like new ones every day...
I honestly do not knw how you guys over ther make the fees work with all the permits and licensing you have to have...
Unless of course, you get better fees than everyone else because of that...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about getting into the hazardous removal side because the profit margin is 50%. It's straight up $10 a gallon to remove and it cost $5 to dispose of not including gas driving around but I guess it all depends on the startup cost with that license. And I heard there is different levels to where you could cover maybe only household stuff and not refinery toxic waste and the like

·
Business Consultant
1,436 Posts
I was thinking about getting into the hazardous removal side because the profit margin is 50%. It's straight up $10 a gallon to remove and it cost $5 to dispose of not including gas driving around but I guess it all depends on the startup cost with that license. And I heard there is different levels to where you could cover maybe only household stuff and not refinery toxic waste and the like
with transportation costs here it is running me about the same...the tires are ahet kill me. Becaus of the size can only transport so many...
Fortunately I have an arrangement with a shop and I go remove that ones on rims and scrap them unless we come up with a set then we can get 30-40 bucks...We have a 44 yard dumpster for locks & boxes and rems...we break everything done to help offset costs...

·
Registered
681 Posts
with transportation costs here it is running me about the same...the tires are ahet kill me. Becaus of the size can only transport so many...
Fortunately I have an arrangement with a shop and I go remove that ones on rims and scrap them unless we come up with a set then we can get 30-40 bucks...We have a 44 yard dumpster for locks & boxes and rems...we break everything done to help offset costs...

In Kentucky you are supposed to have a solid waste license and run DOT numbers if your truck and trailer gross weight is over 10,000 ibs. but still a lot FNG`s out there not running numbers. But I do think in the next few years DOT will be cracking down up them to collect fees!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All,

So glad I ran into this post. Speaking from experience: starting a hazardous waste transportation company in California is... a pain in the a$$. My company is fully permitted, licensed, and insured, but I've paid more into these papers and disposal (@Freddie), than I've made. Even if you attain the general permits, OSHA, DOT, DTSC, EPA, CHP, BOE, FMCSA, among many other agencies will looking at you with a microscope.

After gas, disposal costs, and payroll, I'm lucky if I break even. Workers Comp. if filed legally, on a hazardous materials handling/transporting employee can exceed 25% of his pay.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello All,

So glad I ran into this post. Speaking from experience: starting a hazardous waste transportation company in California is... a pain in the a$$. My company is fully permitted, licensed, and insured, but I've paid more into these papers and disposal (@Freddie), than I've made. Even if you attain the general permits, OSHA, DOT, DTSC, EPA, CHP, BOE, FMCSA, among many other agencies will looking at you with a microscope.

After gas, disposal costs, and payroll, I'm lucky if I break even. Workers Comp. if filed legally, on a hazardous materials handling/transporting employee can exceed 25% of his pay.
So you basically don't want any competition huh? Hahahah

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
Talking about the DOT: Tuesday I was in a Huge restoration companies headquarters in greater KC meeting with the owner and he had 2 box trucks impounded Monday when they crossed the border into Pennsylvania from another Eastern State since they had no DOT #'s but were under 10,000 limit...

He was fuming. $25,000 ransom.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Talking about the DOT: Tuesday I was in a Huge restoration companies headquarters in greater KC meeting with the owner and he had 2 box trucks impounded Monday when they crossed the border into Pennsylvania from another Eastern State since they had no DOT #'s but were under 10,000 limit...

He was fuming. $25,000 ransom.

I'd be fighting that one. PA is one of the WORST for thievery. They don't follow FMCSA but make up their own rules as the go. Ask 10 different DOT officers the same question and get 10 different answers!..................

·
Registered
4 Posts
So you basically don't want any competition huh? Hahahah
lol, it's a free market out there. Just trying to give you a heads up, and save you from some stress. The regulations surrounding hazardous waste removal and transport are quite strict. The paperwork alone is a hassle; you have to keep these documents on file for 3+ years.

If done correctly, wastes are separated into over 20 different categories before transport can even commence. Specific containers have to be used, everything must be secured down and not move while in transport. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
One of the most expensive transportation of a hazmat was Mercury. A Cyprexx vendor royally screwed up when trying to wz an old boiler system. The hazmat crew drove 3 hrs there with a huge lead vault thing and the container was sealed inside (like a scyfi movie).

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I'd be fighting that one. PA is one of the WORST for thievery. They don't follow FMCSA but make up their own rules as the go. Ask 10 different DOT officers the same question and get 10 different answers!..................

That aint just PA, they are all that way.

Ask Porkchop 10 different questions on 10 different days and he'll give you 100 different answers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.