REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice deal on this trailer. Pretty much just traded junk I had to trash out for it. It's 6x12. We bought approx 20 2x4s and 6 8x4 pieces of plywood. I am going to put 4 stakes 3ft apart on the sides and 2 on the front and back. Then 2 horizontal on the sides and front / back.

Then we're going to put plywood on the inside of the 2x4s to enclose it all in. We have the brackets to get the 2x4s on the trailer but how do we get the brackets on? Should I just be trying to drill the holes through the steel? I don't think that would go too well. Also, getting this weighed tomorrow. You guys think it weighs less than 1k?

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
That thing is a beater!

You really should get a welder and start there. The floor looks like it needs a lot of TLC so I would check out what condition the frame is in. You definitely need to do some metal work before you start building up the side. You need a string foundation first if you plan on putting that into service

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's one thing about this business, your equipment doesn't need to look good, just work good. It's not like your trying to impress the client. You will need fenders for sure just to be legal. A welder is a must for this project. You must know someone that can help with a half days work welding on brackets and fenders. Good luck, It's great to have at least two trailers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That's one thing about this business, your equipment doesn't need to look good, just work good. It's not like your trying to impress the client. You will need fenders for sure just to be legal. A welder is a must for this project. You must know someone that can help with a half days work welding on brackets and fenders. Good luck, It's great to have at least two trailers.
Amen. I wash my trucks and equipment daily.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Consider getting lights installed on it as well.
Yeah, we have the lights. I love the one trailer we have but this was a good deal. Considering how we get paid to remove the stuff I traded for this. I was paid to take the trailer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Congrats on the deal. A good trailer is priceless. Here is what I would do.

I would cut off the wavy steel deck and check out the frame. I would then weld on stake pockets, a license tag bracket and light covers to protect the lights (covers cost about $10 each) and fenders and beef up the frame anywhere it needs it. Looks like you need new metal across the back.

I would deck it with 2x6 PT after I coated all sides and ends of the wood with two coats of Thompson water seal. This will double the life expectancy of the wood.

Lights would be LED. Bulbs suck. I got pulled over once because one of my tail lights "was kind of dim." Once I pointed out that the law said it had to be lit and did not specify a certain candle power for the bulb he let me go.

Looks like an old RV frame with the axles set up for electric brakes. I would check their condition. It costs about $200 per axle to install new brakes but it a worth every penny. I just got a new (to me) 6'x16' trailer with electric brakes and I wonder how I every stopped a trailer with out them. They are also required by DOT at certain weight loads.

I would also build or buy a tail gate/ramp for it. Makes it easier to load and you can use it to haul equipment then.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,431 Posts
Congrats on the deal. A good trailer is priceless. Here is what I would do.

I would cut off the wavy steel deck and check out the frame. I would then weld on stake pockets, a license tag bracket and light covers to protect the lights (covers cost about $10 each) and fenders and beef up the frame anywhere it needs it. Looks like you need new metal across the back.

I would deck it with 2x6 PT after I coated all sides and ends of the wood with two coats of Thompson water seal. This will double the life expectancy of the wood.

Lights would be LED. Bulbs suck. I got pulled over once because one of my tail lights "was kind of dim." Once I pointed out that the law said it had to be lit and did not specify a certain candle power for the bulb he let me go.

Looks like an old RV frame with the axles set up for electric brakes. I would check their condition. It costs about $200 per axle to install new brakes but it a worth every penny. I just got a new (to me) 6'x16' trailer with electric brakes and I wonder how I every stopped a trailer with out them. They are also required by DOT at certain weight loads.

I would also build or buy a tail gate/ramp for it. Makes it easier to load and you can use it to haul equipment then.
If I may add to this ...four tires the same size...Everything Gypos said you will have to do to register it...you may also have to cover the wheels....

·
Registered
67 Posts
It will cost you roughly $900 or more to do that project right. New tires, new deck, new lights, new fenders, new jack, any welding, and for your truck you electric brakes. That trailer as it sits probably weighs about 1200 pounds or more. I have a 5 x 10 with one axle and empty it weighs 995 pounds.

I just bought a 6 x 12 single axle brand new for $1100 otd with tax.

I have a 7 x 12 that needed a new axle. The axle cost $189 and that was without the brakes it was $259 with the brakes. I wanted brakes but they didnt have one in stock and it would have taken 2 weeks to order it. I had to move the trailer that day.

Tires are about $160 new with the rims, led lights are about $50- 60 for a good set (keep in mind that federal dot says any trailer over 84" has to have three seperate red lights on the back)

Someone has been hauling cars on that trailer. I would sell it to someone else for $500 and go buy me a new/er one and then start there. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the deck is amazing. Don't know why you guys think that needs to be replaced. Guess you can't tell from the photos. This thing is thick, solid, sturdy. The metal is chopped a bit at the back. I would cut that back but honestly I don't expect this to last more than a year or two.

I didn't buy PT wood or anything intentionally because I didn't think it was going to last too long. $19 trailer lights, I have all 70% R15 tires for it already, have ebc in my truck and this has brakes already.

The thing is though, if it weighs 1200 like you say it does then I can't reg as home made. Which is not cool.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Take some good pics and throw it up on CL or Ebay. You may end up making a buck or two and pay for something already in the shape you need.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I can get you a sweet deal on a 6'x16' trailer like the one I bought. The guy has one more to sell.

If you are interested I am near Orlando, send me a PM.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can get you a sweet deal on a 6'x16' trailer like the one I bought. The guy has one more to sell.

If you are interested I am near Orlando, send me a PM.
Well, I'm about 1250 miles away from you so I think the deal would be countered by the delivery. I am actually considering putting it up on CL but although our other trailer is in much better shape, it only holds 18 cubes and on average we get close to 30 with them stuffed. This trailer would hold 55 cubes with 6 ft sides by itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bed rails. think about it: hardened angle steel. If you have a good floor leave it alone. I bolted bedrails directly to my frame every two feet. Then I only installed 1 sheet on each side. That leaves a 3 foot "platform" for the couches. This way I can put a couple couches on the end as the backwall and use the rest of the trailer for other stuff.

I too have a "freebie" 12 footer (actually 4 x 11).

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bed rails. think about it: hardened angle steel. If you have a good floor leave it alone. I bolted bedrails directly to my frame every two feet. Then I only installed 1 sheet on each side. That leaves a 3 foot "platform" for the couches. This way I can put a couple couches on the end as the backwall and use the rest of the trailer for other stuff.

I too have a "freebie" 12 footer (actually 4 x 11).
Dang that is also a sketchy looking trailer!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts