REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any members from IL willing to share some advice or connect with me about a start up in Central IL. I'm new to the trade, quite frankly new to the business world as a whole. Should I LLC,DBA,AKA,OBGYN? you see where I'm going here so many options and each with their own benefits/pitfalls. Here's a little backdrop as to where I'm headed now and where I would like to be and also its worth mentioning that I really appreciate the fact that your still reading this and hopefully willing to share whatever advice you chose that helped you become successful or semi successful at this if yo feel it applies to me. I have been in the trades my whole life and not just odd jobs I worked full time all the time, some experiences but not limited to are Apprentice Hanging Sheetrock/Finish Work (Carpenters Local 237) Electrician Apprentice (IEBW Local 34),Plumber/Pipefitter Apprentice (UA Local 149) I feel with my general (not expert) knowledge of the trades and all fingers in my mind over the years that keep pointing me to property preservation this would be Cinderellas rubber boot.

I quickly found out either I have good communication skills or theres just no one reaching out around here but THERE IS NO, I REPEAT NO LACK of clients to work for. I have them lined up with no knowledge of what I'm doing yet. I started easing slowly into this, feeling the realtors out a little. On marketplace I look for "investment property" for sale or we finance, you build property. If I noticed clutter in the photos I would message them, offering my services cleaning out their homes and if needed winterizations, repairs or patches to bring the place within code compliance. (I use the code compliance tactic many times my knowledge of NEC,IPC,UPC is vast and im fluent on what is right or wrong and visually on most building codes so it doesnt take long for me to list what needs done. My prices are set in my opinion too low on cleanouts, but im in a beginning phase of this and more worried about building relationships why let greed get in the way. My thoughts are if I can connect with each relator on a personal level, fair priced, lock them in then I have those contracts for life. I know when I can slip in a gouge here and a slice there on the repair side of things so at the end of the day everyone is happy. My cleaning rates were/are 300$ for the service and 100$ a trailer full from there. 99% of the time i had 2 trailers full so 500$ a cleaning (just debris removal) I burn most of the trash (firniture),the rest i break down into truck loads, One free load a week to the landfill permitted. trailers extra cost. I got a guy for tvs and tires he picks them up free.

I have general liability insurance 1 mil. should i get fidelity bonded too? what certifications should i get under my belt? are there any grants or incentives out there? what should i be doing to get a foot in the door im ready to add more structure to this gig to make it legit.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts