REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I get a call out of the blue today from a company that needs "a lot" of winterizations done soon. The guy says they are all in my area. I asked how much they pay and the guy says "well since I need them done soon I will pay more $34.00". I actually had him repeat the price 3 times and I think he was getting excited that I was talking to him.
Well after the 3rd time I told him to jump in his truck and get hopping himself. I told him good luck with those prices and to never even think of calling my number again.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I seem to be getting alot of offers from the private sector doing carpentry services (what I did before this finacial fiascal)....Makes it harder to swallow these national/regional service co's pricing.
I have a feeling alot of these properties will be left hanging....
THEN, when they can't find needed services the pendulum will swing back....Most of us that know what is up will be doing something else.
KNOWONE can work for free, that's what we have here.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
$34................... I don't even blow out a 3 zone sprinkler system for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't and wont.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Normally I agree with you guys but in this case I must be missing something?

I have done many $40.00 wints. What's the big deal? A wint doesn't take me 15 mins?

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
15 mins???

You using 3 helpers?

And then ride in the truck for an hour to the next one?

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts

I have done many $40.00 wints. What's the big deal? A wint doesn't take me 15 mins?

a. These wints are $34.
b. Your covering Indiana and your still trying to do wints yourself?
c. You can find subs to do these and still make money?

I just had a guy at a property yesterday that was winterized by LPS in 09 and Safeguard in 2010 and a regional in 2011. The water was still on at the street and dripping thru a leaky interior shut off valve. The water heater had roughly two gallons left inside. That seemed to us to be a 15 minutes $34 wint. Just saying, Doberman....

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
a. These wints are $34.
b. Your covering Indiana and your still trying to do wints yourself?
c. You can find subs to do these and still make money?

I just had a guy at a property yesterday that was winterized by LPS in 09 and Safeguard in 2010 and a regional in 2011. The water was still on at the street and dripping thru a leaky interior shut off valve. The water heater had roughly two gallons left inside. That seemed to us to be a 15 minutes $34 wint. Just saying, Doberman....
I am out doing a few wints today for a client actually. They pay more than $34.00 but I have seen many companies around the $40.00 mark and before we had contracts with nationals we did $40.00 wints.

We don't go to the meter at the street. In Indiana and most parts of Illinois we can't it's a huge fine.

1. Roll up on the property and go immediately to the water heater, my generator and compressor stay on the truck i run hoses in and hook up get the water heater draining.
  2. Zip Tie main shut off in house
  3. begin pouring antifreeze in traps and stickering everything
  4. unhook roll out.
How hard is that? I much prefer a wint to a grass cut because I don't have to buy mower blades, belts, or fuel to speak of.

I don't know exactly what you mean by
HTML:
That seemed to us to be a 15 minutes $34 wint. Just saying, Doberman...
but I do wints by myself (I can't stand riding in a truck with helpers) and i do them very quickly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am out doing a few wints today for a client actually. They pay more than $34.00 but I have seen many companies around the $40.00 mark and before we had contracts with nationals we did $40.00 wints.

We don't go to the meter at the street. In Indiana and most parts of Illinois we can't it's a huge fine.

1. Roll up on the property and go immediately to the water heater, my generator and compressor stay on the truck i run hoses in and hook up get the water heater draining.
  4. unhook roll out.
How hard is that? I much prefer a wint to a grass cut because I don't have to buy mower blades, belts, or fuel to speak of.

HTML:
but I do wints by myself (I can't stand riding in a truck with helpers) and i do them very quickly.
I can't do them that fast,I like to build a pressure test and most of my wints are wet so there is a hour with the furncace.

I have been doing 4-5 a day for the last 3 weeks and can't even make a dent in my work orders.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Many of the assett companies we used to do wints for required that the system had to hold continued pressure for x amount of minutes. If I were sending a guy to bang out 6-8 wints at those prices per day, he isn't going to spend a lot of time at each one, chasing hidden leaks, itemizing and taking pics of specific damage for bids, etc. Things get missed. The return just doesn't justify the risk.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts

4. unhook roll out.

HTML:

One glaring missing item in this list is blowing the lines.
I read it three times to see if I missed it. I guess for a measly $40 they shouldn't expect a whole lot.

Along with what the others are saying about a pressure test virtually all of the companies I've worked for want a full visible damage report for the property.

You've got nearly 15 mins just walking thru and taking photos and notes for that.
Sure you can combine that with the pressure test but a 15 minute $40 wint is nothing to brag about!

Lets just say that it takes 2 gallons of $4 fuel to get to and from each house, and even one gallon of RV at $3 per, you're already down to $29 for the job and haven't bought gas for the compressor or paid yourself any time for driving and the wint work.
I just don't see any scenario where this pays.
Unless your blowing out 3 blocks of row houses with virtually no drive between the math just doesn't make sense. Even if a guy uses "fuzzy math" aka "politician math" it still doesn't make sense.

·
Motivator
267 Posts
Shoot walking around and opening each valve up until it reaches a fine misty haze takes a good 10 minutes if not more, and THEN you add the anti-freeze. Granted p traps are cheap in comparison to broken lines, but nonetheless the a-f shouldn't be added until all fixtures are free and cleared.
These guys who say they can do a wint in 15 minutes straight DON'T GET IT. They are only setting themselves up for failure, but who am I to judge. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
I can't do them that fast,I like to build a pressure test and most of my wints are wet so there is a hour with the furncace.

I have been doing 4-5 a day for the last 3 weeks and can't even make a dent in my work orders.
Wet wints are a whole different animal. They take a while and should pay well.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
One glaring missing item in this list is blowing the lines.
I read it three times to see if I missed it. I guess for a measly $40 they shouldn't expect a whole lot.

Along with what the others are saying about a pressure test virtually all of the companies I've worked for want a full visible damage report for the property.

You've got nearly 15 mins just walking thru and taking photos and notes for that.
Sure you can combine that with the pressure test but a 15 minute $40 wint is nothing to brag about!

Lets just say that it takes 2 gallons of $4 fuel to get to and from each house, and even one gallon of RV at $3 per, you're already down to $29 for the job and haven't bought gas for the compressor or paid yourself any time for driving and the wint work.
I just don't see any scenario where this pays.
Unless your blowing out 3 blocks of row houses with virtually no drive between the math just doesn't make sense. Even if a guy uses "fuzzy math" aka "politician math" it still doesn't make sense.
I blow the lines while draining the water heater. I thought with the level of experience around here that went without saying.

I attach a free standing pressure gauge to the cold side of the washer while hooking my compressor to the hot.

NO ONE waits around for 30 mins on a system and if you were going to do that then yes you would have to get more money.

I just did one with 5 bathrooms and 2 water heaters and it took me maybe 45 mins but it payed $125.00 so no big deal.

I think some people make it to complicated.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Shoot walking around and opening each valve up until it reaches a fine misty haze takes a good 10 minutes if not more, and THEN you add the anti-freeze. Granted p traps are cheap in comparison to broken lines, but nonetheless the a-f shouldn't be added until all fixtures are free and cleared.
These guys who say they can do a wint in 15 minutes straight DON'T GET IT. They are only setting themselves up for failure, but who am I to judge. Different strokes for different folks.

I have been doing them for years and never had one single issue. They don't all go that quick of course but some do. I swoop down on a property like a nascar pit crew.:thumbup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
you can not preform a wint in 15 min no way. the lines have to hold presser for better than five mins it takes 10 or so for the hot water tank to completely drain then 10 mins for photos notes, damages. if the hot water tank is in the basement you have a flash light in one hand a camera in the other. 30 mins of driving time to each property you are in dream land.the cut off at the hot water tank has a leak, the kitchen faucet has a leak, the line for the ice maker is cut in two when they took the ice box. photos more photos no street sign (missing) no number on the mail box. sh!t and paper in the toilet, the water meter is lost in three feet of brush and weeds. you have to report and find any plumbing damages, or return to the property and complete at your expense. gas materials your time, paper work and you may or may not get paid.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
To blow them out properly you need to hold 40-50# of pressure in the WH to get enough volume to blow to a mist. It takes my 9.4 CFM gas compressor just under 4 minutes to charge a system to that pressure WHILE the WH is draining. I also blow all fixtures AT LEAST 2X. I run 30-45 minutes on the average wint. If i am unsure i blow a gallon of pink through the lines. All my private jobs get pink in the lines no matter what. I ALWAYS do at least a 15 min. pressure test at 50PSI or better. 30-40% will not pass this test and you better damn well document what is leaking. Normally a fixture but still when the REO contractor comes in and the PT fails (even slightly) your at risk of chargeback although 90% of the time it never happens. I report nearly half of my REO's as not holding pressure. 75% of those are done by the local SG contractor and are usually broken shower valves.....

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I blow the lines while draining the water heater. I thought with the level of experience around here that went without saying.

I attach a free standing pressure gauge to the cold side of the washer while hooking my compressor to the hot.

NO ONE waits around for 30 mins on a system and if you were going to do that then yes you would have to get more money.

I just did one with 5 bathrooms and 2 water heaters and it took me maybe 45 mins but it payed $125.00 so no big deal.

I think some people make it to complicated.
Something's not being done right. A 2 WH wint should pay $175 for the first and $100 for the next. No Bueno para mi amigo

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
you can not preform a wint in 15 min no way. the lines have to hold presser for better than five mins it takes 10 or so for the hot water tank to completely drain then 10 mins for photos notes, damages. if the hot water tank is in the basement you have a flash light in one hand a camera in the other. 30 mins of driving time to each property you are in dream land.the cut off at the hot water tank has a leak, the kitchen faucet has a leak, the line for the ice maker is cut in two when they took the ice box. photos more photos no street sign (missing) no number on the mail box. sh!t and paper in the toilet, the water meter is lost in three feet of brush and weeds. you have to report and find any plumbing damages, or return to the property and complete at your expense. gas materials your time, paper work and you may or may not get paid.
It's not a dream Bro my dreams are filled with Bikini beauties not preservation properties.

I don't take notes I type them in the email I send to my processor. I email photo's from site with Iphone.

ALL of the scenario's you outlined would be extenuating circumstances. In some of those cases the wint would take longer in others I would simply leave. You obviously work for different clients than I do.

We don't take pics of street signs ever! We don't fill out long PCR's. If there is a break in the line I identify it snap a pic unhook and leave, same with bomberd out toilets. We bid these things.

I don't go near a water meter EVER. I specifically target clients that don't require all of that BS. We will never work for Bank of America or any other company with strict requirements. The pay in this industry is too low for that. We have learned that to be profitable you have to be fast and efficient.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts