REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there some sort of law that limits the time frame you can be charged back on a job? We just got an $1100 chargeback from 8 months ago. We regularly get them from a year or more. Of course, the National states that there is no limit to how far back they can go, but has anyone else ever found a law stating otherwise?

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my opinion the whole Chargeback issue MAY NOT legal. For example, if provide a services for A, B and C but fail to do D does that MEAN you should forfiet the ENTIRE AMOUNT of services completed for failing to provide service for D? Additionally, if you fail to do a PP on HOUSE A-meaning you don't begin services, should you be charged back $X for NOT starting the Job? Probably need an attorney to weigh in on this matter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something I don't really understand--

Job A is completed. Job A is paid.

8 months later, they say something is wrong with job A. Since it has already been paid, we will take money from your invoices for Jobs B, C, and D.

That doesn't seem legal. Also, the original question: Do they really have 8 months - 2 years to come after the money? We have literally been charged back grasscut fees from nearly 2 years ago becasue they say an inspector went back way back then and found a spot that wasn't mowed. Isn't there some sort of time limitation? I can't recoup the money from the crew who did it, he doesn't work for us anymore.

·
Registered
343 Posts

8 months later, they say something is wrong with job A. Since it has already been paid, we will take money from your invoices for Jobs B, C, and D.

That doesn't seem legal. Also, the original question: Do they really have 8 months - 2 years to come after the money? We have literally been charged back grasscut fees from nearly 2 years ago becasue they say an inspector went back way back then and found a spot that wasn't mowed. Isn't there some sort of time limitation? I can't recoup the money from the crew who did it, he doesn't work for us anymore.

NOT that its not hard Enough to get paid For Job A to begin with

we have 48 to 72 hours to turn the job in and invoice and they have years to get the money back HMMMMMM no that seems fine And if you guys have a problem your being crybabies :whistling2:

lets see when those AGGGGGGGGED jobs get charged back :confused1:

Well Gosh and Golly GEE between Thanksgiving and the End of January when is our business the slowest ? same time!

Could it be a bonus plan here for the RVMs get us 200 we will give you 20

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Things like this is why rather than try to ramp up P&P during the winter to supplement my lawn care business I have chosen to take a part time day job.

I'm more likely to get paid for work completed.

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
Chargebacks are illegal and falls under YOUR State Statues. You will need to consult an attorney.

Chargebacks? The Nationals now say "up to 7 years" after the work completed.

There is also a "co-mingling" of funds issue with Federal Funds if they are government insured loans...ie...robbing peter to pay paul issue. Legally they (Service Company) need to invoice YOU for the chargeback from Property A instead of "automatically" deducting from Property Z. According to legal representation we were told that technically a contractor should have a signed contract on Each and Every property you work on....not just a work order sent out on the email.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
According to legal representation we were told that technically a contractor should have a signed contract on Each and Every property you work on....not just a work order sent out on the email.

Yeah, that'll never happen.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,409 Posts

You need to take them to court

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got two more chargebacks. One for a grasscut from 08/2011, another a debris removal from 10/2011.

The problem I have is that we have several people employed off the work from this company. All we can do is save them in case we ever stop working for this company and bring them all to a lawyer at once. I just wish I could find a law or something that says this is wrong, so that i could 'anonymously' tip someone to get the process changed.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Read your contract. Many of them contain clauses referring to contractor liability; they usually avoid the term "Chargeback". Many of them will also tell you that it is their company policy not to reveal specifics, such as the information of the contractor that "redid" your work. The 2 year delay on the grass cut chargeback is the liability of whatever company failed to process their qc in a timely manner. I know this. Picture the faces in the courtroom when they hear Company A garnished $27.50 from your invoice for a poorly done grass cut completed in spring of 2011.

·
Registered
343 Posts
by " accepting " the work order , arent we in truth signing a contract of sorts when we accept / decline a WO i bet if you drill in deep enough to newer contracts it will be there or some mumbo jumbo that makes it binding

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Just got two more chargebacks. One for a grasscut from 08/2011, another a debris removal from 10/2011.

The problem I have is that we have several people employed off the work from this company. All we can do is save them in case we ever stop working for this company and bring them all to a lawyer at once. I just wish I could find a law or something that says this is wrong, so that i could 'anonymously' tip someone to get the process changed.
You need to name the company and maybe someone here can give you a little more specific information. It is hard having guys that depend on one client for their income but taking a boning and being told to like it is pretty hard only to justify keeping guys working.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
by " accepting " the work order , arent we in truth signing a contract of sorts when we accept / decline a WO i bet if you drill in deep enough to newer contracts it will be there or some mumbo jumbo that makes it binding
If I called your craigslist ad and told you I would pay you $500 to paint my chicken coop, what are the oral terms? Several of the Nationals have language stating that if any legal disputes should arise, a hearing can only be held in the county/state of the client, ie Safeguard is in Ohio. Been there done that too, and no, I didn't drive to Cleveland.

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
The lawsuits are happening NOW and have happened in the PAST. The problem is they are normally settled before it actually goes to court and then a Gag Order is issued.

YEP been there and YEP doing that. Not alway my first rodeo. Just a pis*ed off cowboy!

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

the problem is that the nationals know that no one is going to really do anything about it. If you do $100k a year in work for company X and they charge you back $3k unfairly are you going to sue them for it. Ya you will probably get your $3k but you can kiss the 100k next year goodbye. So does it suck? yes but what can you do other then just call it a cost of doing business.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
the problem is that the nationals know that no one is going to really do anything about it. If you do $100k a year in work for company X and they charge you back $3k unfairly are you going to sue them for it. Ya you will probably get your $3k but you can kiss the 100k next year goodbye. So does it suck? yes but what can you do other then just call it a cost of doing business.
Mark up your bids to cover the projected invoice cuts and charge backs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts