REO Property Preservation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Which is the best way to gain access? Drill the lock core out or use a pick tool? Some are powered and seem to gain access quicker than a drill.

Also where do you get your locks, lock boxes etc..?

MFSupply has decent prices. Is there a company that offers better pricing?

Steve
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Always check first that a door is not locked.:thumbsup::laughing::laughing:
 
O

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought all of those house already had the doors kicked in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
I usually use bargainlocks.com. if you are good with a pick go for it. I find 95% of the homes can be opened with an old credit card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
vednor101 said:
Hi

Which is the best way to gain access? Drill the lock core out or use a pick tool? Some are powered and seem to gain access quicker than a drill.

Also where do you get your locks, lock boxes etc..?

MFSupply has decent prices. Is there a company that offers better pricing?

Steve
Bargainlocks.com, ushardwaresupply.com

There's a few others i don't have their names on me right now.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MFS locks stink. Bargainlocks ok. Nuset good but to expensive.

I have a powerpick from Bargainlocks and it works ok but don't use. Takes to long. Channell Locks, credit card, Wolverine or Red Wings work best and a lot less time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,096 Posts
If its a quickset style of lock you can be inside with in seconds using a screw driver and hammer.
If its a Schlage style use pliers. When the dead bolt is locked usually drilling it out is required.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FremontREO said:
MFS locks stink. Bargainlocks ok. Nuset good but to expensive.

I have a powerpick from Bargainlocks and it works ok but don't use. Takes to long. Channell Locks, credit card, Wolverine or Red Wings work best and a lot less time.
This sport is property "preservation" not kick the door in. Get a pick set and learn to use it. I drilled when I was a newbie. Now I can pick in less than 30 seconds and change out the pins. It's a lot less than buying mfs locks and you leave a better quality lock on the client's doors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
RhinoMan said:
This sport is property "preservation" not kick the door in. Get a pick set and learn to use it. I drilled when I was a newbie. Now I can pick in less than 30 seconds and change out the pins. It's a lot less than buying mfs locks and you leave a better quality lock on the client's doors.
Not to mention the REO brokers love it. In the time it takes someone to remove the lock from the box and install it, I can already have it repinned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
BPWY said:
If its a quickset style of lock you can be inside with in seconds using a screw driver and hammer.
If its a Schlage style use pliers. When the dead bolt is locked usually drilling it out is required.
How fast can one expect to gain access with realtor key?
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RhinoMan said:
This sport is property "preservation" not kick the door in. Get a pick set and learn to use it. I drilled when I was a newbie. Now I can pick in less than 30 seconds and change out the pins. It's a lot less than buying mfs locks and you leave a better quality lock on the client's doors.
Your talented. Pick sets are way to slow. I know rekeying may save up front but Mfs keys normally won't work in rekeyed lock PLUS the NEXT contractor goes to the property and the original locks are on the doors they will/may report it as "not secured yet" since they don't see the new SHINY locks on the door and walla you get a chargeback for not properly securing door. YES I/we have had this happen on many occasions. Some companies are now requiring NEW locks on the doors-not the rekeyed ones.

I would rather be paid for the new locks than "loaner pay" to only give it back later...jmo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
FAS tried to do that to us. However, our photos shows the correct keycode in the knob lock or dead bolt. With the bolt out showing that it's been rekeyed. We also take photos of the rekey tools out.
 

·
Property Preservation
Joined
·
883 Posts
Ditto to US Hardware Supply. They have a warehouse here in Las Vegas so I just call and place my order, then go pick them up.

I think I pay $4.95 per lock and no shipping. If anyone in Vegas needs the info, let me know.

Linda
 

·
Property Preservation
Joined
·
883 Posts
RhinoMan said:
This sport is property "preservation" not kick the door in. Get a pick set and learn to use it. I drilled when I was a newbie. Now I can pick in less than 30 seconds and change out the pins. It's a lot less than buying mfs locks and you leave a better quality lock on the client's doors.
Welcome to the forum, Rhino. You should come over and teach me how to use my lock pick gun. You know where to find me most weekends. :)

Linda
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My lock pick thing is battery operated. Kinda looks like a vi***** oh well everyone knows. I gotta tell the truth...I'm not good at it but I've got some crew guys that can just cut through a lock like butter with them.

I know that the last crew used 1 of those battery operated picks at an eviction. The Deputy was totally amazed at how fast they got through the doorknob then promptly confiscated it. They are illegal in most States UNLESS you have credentials for being a licensed locksmith. So now they don't use at evictions. LOL
 

·
Property Preservation
Joined
·
883 Posts
FremontREO said:
The Deputy was totally amazed at how fast they got through the doorknob then promptly confiscated it. They are illegal in most States UNLESS you have credentials for being a licensed locksmith. LOL
Figures, doesn't it? lol

Linda
 
V

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HI Everyone

Thanks for the info. It was really helpfull.

steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,016 Posts
FremontREO said:
My lock pick thing is battery operated. Kinda looks like a vi***** oh well everyone knows. I gotta tell the truth...I'm not good at it but I've got some crew guys that can just cut through a lock like butter with them.

I know that the last crew used 1 of those battery operated picks at an eviction. The Deputy was totally amazed at how fast they got through the doorknob then promptly confiscated it. They are illegal in most States UNLESS you have credentials for being a licensed locksmith. So now they don't use at evictions. LOL
For $1800 you can do a locksmith course and be legit.
 
1 - 20 of 136 Posts
Top