REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know we have discussed this many times but the stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Can someone tell me ( I know about the bleach and Kilz) but please explain how a contractor can give a bid to bleach clean and kilz mold on a ceiling from a roof leak.
Can they explain how this will help when, what about the studs behind the drywall. If the ceiling leaked, doesn't it just make sense that the area above will be affected.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it's from a roof leak the affected area's need removed. Only treatment would be for the sheathing and studs. drywall insulation would need to be removed. If mold is visible on interior ceiling imagine how bad it is on the other side. I bet they want it bid at less then $3.00 per sq ft too.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ok I know we have discussed this many times but the stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Can someone tell me ( I know about the bleach and Kilz) but please explain how a contractor can give a bid to bleach clean and kilz mold on a ceiling from a roof leak.
Can they explain how this will help when, what about the studs behind the drywall. If the ceiling leaked, doesn't it just make sense that the area above will be affected.
If the ceiling leaked, doesn't it just make sense that the area above will be affected ?????
It makes too much sence but the banks and servicers don't care because when it is not fixed right it wont be their neck in the noose !! But the whole discoloration ... mold or whatever you want to call it arena is changing with the disclosure that the realtors have to sign soooooooo if you send them an E mail with the fact that there is a mold issue at the property and it is not disclosed and it sells and comes back perhaps on you and you have the Email to show it was reported but not disclosed ..... !!

BAck up back up to an external hard drive

·
Registered
59 Posts
you should check with your local regs to see if you can even call it mold.. sometimes for legal reasons you just being a contractor and not being certified in mold remediation means you cant even use that word in your paper work legally

·
Contractor
486 Posts
For all the book learning and certifications Agency's and Cert Companies profess ... The practical solution is to stop what is causing mold, discoloration...what ever the word of the month is.

Once the source has been stopped, you isolate the area of issue and then pending on the price a client wants to pay... you go after the mold be complete removal or chemical treatment. Finally you make the area non-conducive for it to grow by advising the client that it is their responsibilty to maintain the area to inhibit re-occurence.

The reality of it is that those with the green believe "kilz and bleach" do the trick. If that's what they want to pay for then give it to'em. If they want "certified" you give them a price for "certified" cleaning. The ong an short of it is that it's all in the numbers...ya want a Yugo or ya want a Cadillac .

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
The reality of it is that those with the green believe "kilz and bleach" do the trick. If that's what they want to pay for then give it to'em. If they want "certified" you give them a price for "certified" cleaning. The ong an short of it is that it's all in the numbers...ya want a Yugo or ya want a Cadillac .
Sorry, but I'm not buying "if that's what they want give it to them." I'm a state licensed contractor and I do primanily exterior renovation. The two things major "I want items are"

1. "I'm paying you to do the work and I don't want to pay extra to follow lead safe RRP rules"

2. "I want my roof done cheap. I know there are two layers but can you just install a 3rd one over the top to save money"

So your logic is I should violate laws & building codes exposing myself and business to the liabilty that comes with it, just because that's what they want to pay? :blink:

For me, its not about a Yugo or a Cadillac. It's about doing the right thing. Do I land every job? No. Do I want the jobs that aren't done correctly? No. The Craigslist handymen can have them. No offense to any CL handymen here.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,409 Posts
you should check with your local regs to see if you can even call it mold.. sometimes for legal reasons you just being a contractor and not being certified in mold remediation means you cant even use that word in your paper work legally
Anyone can "legally" call it mold...the powers to be just don't want you to because it triggers a bunch of hazmat issues and disclosure issues that will effect the sale of the home....If mold call it ,old and write it up properly so you doan't get youself in a jam...
Umless of course you prefer the green,black and white fuzzy stuff that stronly resembles sporadic fungi

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
The reality of it is that those with the green believe "kilz and bleach" do the trick. If that's what they want to pay for then give it to'em.
When it comes to mold remediation, what the client wants doesn't always matter. Plenty have thought they made quick and easy money on bleach and kilz only to get pulled back into the fray by their short hairs when the property fails an air test.Could be weeks, could be months, could be years.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Stupid is as Stupid does

How about Purchasing a Dehumidifier and being told to plug it into the wall socket , Take a Picture and we'll pay you.
Well how about the electric is shut off
just plug it in and you'll get paid
OK whatever

·
Contractor
486 Posts
Sorry, but I'm not buying "if that's what they want give it to them." I'm a state licensed contractor and I do primanily exterior renovation. The two things major "I want items are"

1. "I'm paying you to do the work and I don't want to pay extra to follow lead safe RRP rules"

2. "I want my roof done cheap. I know there are two layers but can you just install a 3rd one over the top to save money"

So your logic is I should violate laws & building codes exposing myself and business to the liabilty that comes with it, just because that's what they want to pay? :blink:

For me, its not about a Yugo or a Cadillac. It's about doing the right thing. Do I land every job? No. Do I want the jobs that aren't done correctly? No. The Craigslist handymen can have them. No offense to any CL handymen here.

1st I made no mention of doing illegal practices, The right thing is of course the Cadillac; however when provided a Spec. Book (i.e. a WO that says to Bleach an Kilz) from a client that says this is how we want...that is generally the way the Project gets bid..with all appropriate caveats an disclaimers.

With 25 years in the commercial construction industry and the necessary Haz-Woper, ACM & RRP certs I know right thing is. I too won't take a job that skirts Local Codes or State guidelines, but I will bid a job for what a Client requests an make them fully aware with what the standard guidelines are and insert the necessary verbiage to protect ourselves.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Had this argument in Cyprexx training class a couple of months back.

She showed a picture of what was obviously mold, bad mold, and called it discoloration. I raised my hand and asked, "Discoloration means mold?"

She turned on me and said we never ever say the "M" word. I said, "Why?"

She said because we are not qualified to identify it as mold.

I said I am because when I was a commercial Project Manager I went to training held by Skanska construction on the identification of mold in hospitals and how to properly set up isolation areas with negative pressure ventillation and air filtration sytems as well as an overview of the diffrent types of PPE required to remediate it.

So if I call it discoloration I am opening myself to liability becuase I have had training on how to recognize it and to not point it out would open myself to liability becasue I did not disclose it to my customer, you. And what you choose to do with the informtion I provide is none of my concern, but I will always report mold as mold.

Both her and the Fannie May rep gave me the stink eye, but they could not come up with and arguement for that one and changed to subject.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Had this argument in Cyprexx training class a couple of months back.

She showed a picture of what was obviously mold, bad mold, and called it discoloration. I raised my hand and asked, "Discoloration means mold?"

She turned on me and said we never ever say the "M" word. I said, "Why?"

She said because we are not qualified to identify it as mold.

I said I am because when I was a commercial Project Manager I went to training held by Skanska construction on the identification of mold in hospitals and how to properly set up isolation areas with negative pressure ventillation and air filtration sytems as well as an overview of the diffrent types of PPE required to remediate it.

So if I call it discoloration I am opening myself to liability becuase I have had training on how to recognize it and to not point it out would open myself to liability becasue I did not disclose it to my customer, you. And what you choose to do with the informtion I provide is none of my concern, but I will always report mold as mold.

Both her and the Fannie May rep gave me the stink eye, but they could not come up with and arguement for that one and changed to subject.
GREAT JOB HOLD your ground as I do and they will have to come around to REALITY.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Right or wrong, IMHO there is a different between a little mold in the corner of a basement block wall due to seepage, and an entire bedroom covered in mold from a roof leak, or a basement with 4' of mold due to standing water from an inoperable sump pump.

·
Registered
343 Posts
How about Purchasing a Dehumidifier and being told to plug it into the wall socket , Take a Picture and we'll pay you.
Well how about the electric is shut off
just plug it in and you'll get paid
OK whatever
i do ten a year like that makes me laff my asz off right down to the drain line etc etc

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
i do ten a year like that makes me laff my asz off right down to the drain line etc etc
I did 7 or 8 this year. A week later, got a trip charge work order on every single one of them to return to the :censored: property and turn it on because "they" finally got around to having the power restored.

After the first one, I smartened up and took a picture of the main breaker shut off. That would suffice to the PoCo so I wouldn't have to sit and wait for up to 4 hours for the reconnect. Otherwise, around here at least, you have to be present for the PoCo to reconnect.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Right or wrong, IMHO there is a different between a little mold in the corner of a basement block wall due to seepage, and an entire bedroom covered in mold from a roof leak, or a basement with 4' of mold due to standing water from an inoperable sump pump.
I agree, however, what happens if there are broken windows or the HVAC is on and the spores have been blown throughout the house? Just because its not visible, doesn't mean its not there.

My biggest b!tch is the bleach. I had a small patch from a leaky ice maker line that was dripping. I bid a biocide and had it kicked back to me saying the work order specifys bleach. Bunch of retards! Everything else I bid to have a restoration co evaluate. Then you get the "you can't bid to obtain a bid" email.......

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just bid a mold removale in a bath. I bid $120.00 as it was within the tub and figured that this would be a stand alone bid and I'm not doing a reservice without a min. charge. They came back that " above industry standard pricing".....How about $50.00. AH, well NO. I ain't going back 35 miles after they apply thier "discount"

·
Contractor
486 Posts
All houses have mold... it's a matter of degree. There's the black crap, green stuff, clear crystallized things that grow in attic in the absence of moisture.
Like everything...things get blown out of proportion, and people don't use common sense anymore... like Gypso states above...for people to call it "discoloration" is like they used say...she's half pregnant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts