REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Client is wanting bid to cut out drywall and treat studs only (and tarp full roof to prevent further water) as home is in ppr.

As always, I stated we are not mold remediators and offered to bid for a certified mold inspection/bid.

Client says no as house is ppr and still contains lots of junk, unable to get good inspection till emptied. Want us to cut out drywall and treat studs, tarp roof, then mold inspection when reo.

What do you think??

Attachments

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,480 Posts
Barefoot...If you are not insured for mold..NO...
Check your local and state laws. contractors and find out what you need to work on mold and then tell them that if they insist ask them to go rob a bank when they ask you "what the hell???'
Simply tell them well you're asking me to break the law when you do so I'll give consideration to putting my liberty, finances, business, home, on the line....make no mistake no matter what disclaimer you place on an invoice if you have done something that violates any of your local and state laws contractors board regulations...YOU'RE AT FAULT....and no judge is going to accept...Well they told me it was ok....no jury is going to accept ignorance of the law when the plaintiff wheels little Johnny into court in an oxygen tent when he develops a respiratory problem because the job was not addressed correctly.

Just be careful...do not let them push you into something that can have adverse effects on you and your business...

·
Registered
124 Posts
Barefoot where are you located? Do a quick Google search on your state's mold regulations so that you can add it into your bid verbage. In Florida it's anything over 10 sq feet has to be addressed by a mold remediator, if you touch it you're in violation of the law. Just ad per state statue blah blah mold remediator's estimate is required.

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
Barefoot,

Unless it has changed in S.C. there is no laws governing mold in the State. Unfortunately, I can determine from the pics that there is a lot more than just "removing the drywall" :) Contaminated insulation, electrician for lighting (code), encapsulation needed, air scrubbing needed, anti-microbial needed and a slew of other things.

Just tell them you have NO POLLUTION Liablility Policy to cover the contamination that will happen by doing a drywall removal job without proper protocols.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Beyond the air scrubbers, hepa vacs, insurance, epa cert, etc.
How long will you warranty a roof tarp? If storms blow it loose in 6 weeks and rain water runs down into the ceilings and walls again, how much will they hold you liable for? Better think forward.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Honestly, I would do it. They want you to do it then just do it, get paid and move on. Make clear you can't be held liable and let them know why just treating 2x4s won't work. They want a temporary fix and they know it's not going to be perm. They want to slow it down while the property is in PPR.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Honestly, I would do it. They want you to do it then just do it, get paid and move on. Make clear you can't be held liable and let them know why just treating 2x4s won't work. They want a temporary fix and they know it's not going to be perm. They want to slow it down while the property is in PPR.

Hack nuts, did you not read what the seasoned vets and pros have written about mold work? Have you read any contracts. The advice they should tell their client is that they need a professional 3rd party bid that might not get approved.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
They want you to do it then just do it, get paid and move on. Make clear you can't be held liable and let them know why just treating 2x4s won't work.
Getting paid and moving on does not apply in this business.

Make clear you can't be held liable? Can you explain in detail how that works? What invisible energy field do you initiate that holds them in place, preventing them from filing a claim against your insurance, suing you, months or even years down the road? This isn't 1971.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
With comments like that, you are digging yourself a deep hole here. Speaking for myself only, when people refuse or just can't understand the advice that is given to them, I stop trying. There is an old adage "you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink". Ask yourself, are you the horse or the one leading it?

Furthermore, based on your posts, I'm pretty sure you've been here before under at least 2 different names. That person refused to learn.....I wish you all the luck in the world.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are no mold laws or guidelines here. Did talk to someone at the University who offered me a copy of the guidelines they use.
Spoke with client, she says they are not interested in remediation, just removing visual mold and treating studs. They will do inspection and remediation after property is bank owned. Offered to put it all in writing.

Does anyone guarantee roof tarps?? Saw that in an earlier post. We check our tarps when we are at the properties and let clients know when they are needing replacing. All tarp work orders state that this is a temp measure and roof requires inspection and repair.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,480 Posts
I'm sure your insurance would cancel you if they saw this...
That is one of the most inane statements I've heard...although I must admit I did not expect to tune in the comedy club today....

That said...it is people just like you that have given this industry and the honest hardworking folks in this industry a bad name...
You really should find another line of work....

Barefoot....even though they will put something in writing..YOU will be liable for any adverse actions as you're the service provider...you don't put a band aid on something that requires surgery...By "out of site...out of mind" the issue it only compounds the problem....You may want to contact you state contractors board...if you have one...I can not believe there are no regulations for mold treatment and remediation...every state has them...especially now that this and "meth houses" are becoming serious issues throughout the industry....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm sure your insurance would cancel you if they saw this...
That is one of the most inane statements I've heard...although I must admit I did not expect to tune in the comedy club today....

That said...it is people just like you that have given this industry and the honest hardworking folks in this industry a bad name...
You really should find another line of work....

Barefoot....even though they will put something in writing..YOU will be liable for any adverse actions as you're the service provider...you don't put a band aid on something that requires surgery...By "out of site...out of mind" the issue it only compounds the problem....You may want to contact you state contractors board...if you have one...I can not believe there are no regulations for mold treatment and remediation...every state has them...especially now that this and "meth houses" are becoming serious issues throughout the industry....
I don't think it gives a bad name. They are asking specifically for you to do a job to remove visual mold. Not to remediate the mold. If you can't understand the difference.. :cry:

That's like going to the gas station to get gas and then suing them when you spill a milkshake on the floor. I understand being cautious but the logic you're using here can be applied to everything in this industry.

Doing a Wint then having them sue you when someone steals the HWH.
Changing a lock and them suing when someone breaks the glass in the window.

They're asking you to remove the visual mold, not completely eradicate it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once you start to touh mold u might as well say you've begun some type of remediation process .. Which most people on here or in general have no clue on how to properly do.. Pulling drywall and spraying bleach will only create a larger problem

·
Super Moderator
1,246 Posts
I don't think it gives a bad name. They are asking specifically for you to do a job to remove visual mold. Not to remediate the mold. If you can't understand the difference.. :cry:

That's like going to the gas station to get gas and then suing them when you spill a milkshake on the floor. I understand being cautious but the logic you're using here can be applied to everything in this industry.

You couldn't be more wrong on your analogy.

When you remove the "visible" mold, no matter what the service company you do the work for tells you, you become THE remediation contractor for the bank. What makes you so sure that another contractor is going to follow and pick up where you left off? Your company's name is disclosed to the homes purchaser at closing as the mold remediation contractor (ask me how I know this). If that new owner feels that the job was not completed satisfactorily, they know exactly who to contact.

You might want to forget trying to argue and listen to the advice being given to you about this one. You obviously need it.

·
Registered
92 Posts

What's an HWH?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

You answered my question.....you are the horse.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.