REO Property Preservation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just showed up at a property that we had to install new appliances in. The grass cut and monthly maid guy was there. In his brand new jetta. Damn competition is getting better. He had his electric weed eater and blower. Lol. I give him credit. At least the car ran on diesel!!

·
Registered
580 Posts
thanohano44 said:
Just showed up at a property that we had to install new appliances in. The grass cut and monthly maid guy was there. In his brand new jetta. Damn competition is getting better. He had his electric weed eater and blower. Lol. I give him credit. At least the car ran on diesel!!
I saw a routine maid guy driving a rusted out fiero about month ago.

C

·
0 Posts
You guess which of the 2 puts across the best image?

The guy with the old obsolete, poorly maintained car or the one with the quality high mileage car?

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
concretemasonry said:
You guess which of the 2 puts across the best image?

The guy with the old obsolete, poorly maintained car or the one with the quality high mileage car?
How about me the fool driving a 3/4 ton black dodge with a 20ft trailer?

P

·
0 Posts
thanohano44 said:
How about me the fool driving a 3/4 ton black dodge with a 20ft trailer?
At 8 or so mpg and burning more in fuel just to get to the job than that guy is being paid to complete his! Hmmm...interesting point than.

W

·
0 Posts
My competition means you also compete for this work.?

I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) that this is handy-man work to keep homes/business buildings maintained during time of non-occupancy.
Paid 'for/by' those that hold the deed of the vacant property.

A reliable person with a valid bus transfer could do the work, if all tools/supplies are on property for them to utilize.

What matters is the end result. Be it a man on foot or with a 1 ton flat bed full of equipment.

Either is too sad though, although a necessity. Because it is maintenance of unoccupied property, not new or renovation "construction".

Have a great Holiday.

P

·
0 Posts
wood_rots said:
My competition means you also compete for this work.?

I am assuming (correct me if I am wrong) that this is handy-man work to keep homes/business buildings maintained during time of non-occupancy.
Paid 'for/by' those that hold the deed of the vacant property.

A reliable person with a valid bus transfer could do the work, if all tools/supplies are on property for them to utilize.

What matters is the end result. Be it a man on foot or with a 1 ton flat bed full of equipment.

Either is too sad though, although a necessity. Because it is maintenance of unoccupied property, not new or renovation "construction".

Have a great Holiday.
That is one of the most condescending and useless replies I have ever read on here. Clearly you know nothing of which you speak, and I've always been taught to not try to speak of anything I know little of.

Can't even believe I'm giving this the time to retort. :whistling

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Agreed P3.

This guy doesn't have the first foggy clue what hes talking about in this industry.
This isn't an employee situation where one shows up for work bringing himself, gloves, a sandwich and water jug.

My dad always told me better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BPWY said:
Agreed P3.

This guy doesn't have the first foggy clue what hes talking about in this industry.
This isn't an employee situation where one shows up for work bringing himself, gloves, a sandwich and water jug.

My dad always told me better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
To each his own. Ignorance is bliss.

K

·
0 Posts
I've got no problems trucking around in the fiance's suv. It gets twice the mileage, and gas is almost a buck cheaper a gallon. Cars and transportation are tools, just like any other in my box. Driving the fullsize diesel when the car will do, makes just as much sense as the framing nailer putting up trim.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KnottyWoodwork said:
I've got no problems trucking around in the fiance's suv. It gets twice the mileage, and gas is almost a buck cheaper a gallon. Cars and transportation are tools, just like any other in my box. Driving the fullsize diesel when the car will do, makes just as much sense as the framing nailer putting up trim.
Your statement makes as much sense as welfare and gay marriage pal. Lol

D

·
0 Posts
P3+ said:
That is one of the most condescending and useless replies I have ever read on here. Clearly you know nothing of which you speak, and I've always been taught to not try to speak of anything I know little of.

Can't even believe I'm giving this the time to retort. :whistling
it makes perfect sense to me. And it all comes down to who makes more money. The handyman or girl in the Jetta or the guy making fun of the guy with no overhead.

X

·
0 Posts
thanohano44 said:
I f I could put my zero turn in the trunk of a smart car I wwould but prefer the 250 and trailer :laughing:

P

·
0 Posts
XLARGEX said:
I f I could put my zero turn in the trunk of a smart car I wwould but prefer the 250 and trailer :laughing:
I think a large part of the misconception to this biz is that people think that anybody can do it with little to no up front cost.

What people don't realize is that in most cases to be effective and profitable the amount of equipment needed to be a reliable preservation contractor rivals that of many specialty trades and even a good portion of gc's.
I mean, let's break it down. Not only do you have to have all the regular "home improvement" type tools: drills, saws, hammers, tapes, bits, and what not. Additionally you have to have good quality generators, compressors, dump trailer/box truck/cube van or the like, landscape trailers, commercial mowing equipment (sure it can be done with homeowner grad crap....but really?), lock equipment, air handlers, a multitude of "stock" items (sumps, dehu's, locks, ply, 2x's, handrail, brackets, electrical items. Additionally, you need to try to fit most of that crap in your rig/outfit to thwart multiple trips just to be productive.

I could go on and on but those who know the biz don't need an explanation. Oh and let's not forget the multitude of insurance coverages necessary to CYA.

I digress.

K

·
0 Posts
thanohano44 said:
How's that? It's simple math..

My truck gets 16mpg, the fiance's car gets 30. Not only does it get better fuel mileage, but gas is $0.83/gal cheaper than diesel as of now. If they both serve the same purpose, it's a waste of money to use the truck. Same as using an overkill nailer, when a cheaper/non overkill option exists.

While I do enjoy driving my truck much more than that little car, and it is a much "cooler" rig... I could care less, my main goal is retirement; as quick as i can.

K

·
0 Posts
thanohano44 said:
And welfare can't be too hard to make sense of, millions of people have figured out the game. I might add that they're not considered the most intelligent of our kind either...

As far as gay marriage.. Love is love, who the heck am I to tell someone that they can't have that option.

O

·
0 Posts
KnottyWoodwork said:
How's that? It's simple math..

My truck gets 16mpg, the fiance's car gets 30. Not only does it get better fuel mileage, but gas is $0.83/gal cheaper than diesel as of now. If they both serve the same purpose, it's a waste of money to use the truck. Same as using an overkill nailer, when a cheaper/non overkill option exists.

While I do enjoy driving my truck much more than that little car, and it is a much "cooler" rig... I could care less, my main goal is retirement; as quick as i can.
+1 but I always take the truck.

·
Registered
580 Posts
KnottyWoodwork said:
And welfare can't be too hard to make sense of, millions of people have figured out the game. I might add that they're not considered the most intelligent of our kind either...

As far as gay marriage.. Love is love, who the heck am I to tell someone that they can't have that option.
Isn't gay marriage getting a bit off track from being a property preservation forum we are in. Just saying........

1 - 20 of 34 Posts