REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the low down. I am not new to the business, I have been doing it for 4 years. When I heard Safeguard was buying BAC Field Services, where most of my current work is from, I decided to fill out a vendor application even though I have heard all the horror stories. Well I got the call and I am going to be given Safeguard P&P work in the zones I asked for. My question is primarily for current Safeguard vendors. Is P&P better than REO and what should I expect? Am I going to make good money with them? Do YOU make good money with them? How long does it take to upload work orders? Do they give multiple vendors work orders in the same zones? Am I making a bid mistake or is this a great opportunity? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Contractor
486 Posts
Here is the low down. I am not new to the business, I have been doing it for 4 years. When I heard Safeguard was buying BAC Field Services, where most of my current work is from, I decided to fill out a vendor application even though I have heard all the horror stories. Well I got the call and I am going to be given Safeguard P&P work in the zones I asked for. My question is primarily for current Safeguard vendors. Is P&P better than REO and what should I expect? Am I going to make good money with them? Do YOU make good money with them? How long does it take to upload work orders? Do they give multiple vendors work orders in the same zones? Am I making a bid mistake or is this a great opportunity? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
P&P is generally "reoccuring" and "maintenance" for which from my dealings with them 2 years ago was pitence pay. More time spent inputting to their lengthy online PCR. REO generally bid work, if they don't have standardized pricing.
I let'em go two years ago as they were more trouble than it was worth administratively.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Good money is a relative term and different for everyone. Some people need $100 a day to feed their families and are willing to work 18 hours to make it. Bad hourly but it makes ends meet.
We made good money with Safeguard when we took any and everything they sent, but spent obscene amounts of office time chasing missing and shorted money.
Grass cuts take maybe 10 minutes to upload.
Initial service orders a lot longer.
HPIRs were ridiculous.
They will put as many vendors in an area until they feel comfortable they can dictate a "take it or leave it" agenda.
Depending on your mindset and your business ability, you can do ok.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts

Thanks
I've found that you can make more in their P&P side than their REO side as long as you're paid. I really wouldn't wade in those waters if I were you unless you're an established GC.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I am an established GC. I have been around the block many times with P&P. I figure as long as they pay, I should be OK. I have no problem waiting 60-90 days. That seems to be the norm now and I am used it. As for uploading I heard of a company in Sacramento that is doing Safeguard and AMS processing for $2 an order. I plan on calling them and getting them on board because I hate being on the computer every waking hour.

Any more advise? How do the big Safeguard vendors survive? Do you have staff that uploads work orders or do you outsource?

·
Registered
40 Posts
We worked for them around 10 years ago. The website was horrible, the pay was low, and the expectations were very high. We stopped working for them back then and moved on.

Recently, we started working for them again, doing REO stuff. Again, the pay was too low, the expectations too high, and the website seems even worse than before. There were over 200 questions on one of their PCRs I filled out for an initial services maid order. Also, the layout is terrible. You have to upload all of your photos on the first page, then hit next and wait 1-3 minutes for the next to load. Answer the questions, then 'assign' pictures. Forget to upload an air freshener pic? Back to page 1 and the waits associated with switching between pages.

Also, they ask questions that are not relevant. A recent example would be a PCR that required Fireplace information. The home didn't have one, but that wasn't an option on the form. We had to describe this nonexistant fireplace by clicking radio buttons indicating the condition of various parts of it, until we got to the end of that section where we typed in, "there is no fireplace here.' Really amateur website.

They require a 100% immaculate home on an initial maid service order, and literally send an inspector to every house you do while in your probationary period. If the whole house does not pass their 'white glove test,' they send you back. Not a big deal, except that you will lose money doing this. The pay is not enough to justify the manpower you will need to get this done.

In addition, it's tough to get a question answered over there. When you call in and ask for someone, you get transferred. I have literally not once gotten the person I asked for when speaking to an operator first. The majority of the time, you don't even get someone in the same department. I actually got someone in billing once while trying to ask a question about a maid service. They can take a message and have someone call you back, but that takes hours.

Their preservation side may be better, I don't know. I could not justify working their REO side anymore, though. We quit them again after only a couple of months - we were just losing money and not getting any preservation/bids back to make up for it.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
What teapot discribes regarding the Vendor Web is spot on. Safeguard was the first company to cut our invoice because we did not wipe down the furnace, water heater, and basement window sills.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Best of luick. Say goodbye to your hair. They were the bottom of the botom feeders and from what the local reo vendor for them tells me they have gotten worse. Keep Spot on records and a BIG pair of BOXING GLOVES handy for when they start to spar with ya It will happen :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
What companies do you guys use? What are your favorite companies? Locals? Other regionals?

For the most part my experience has been they all suck....... to some extent.
Its just how willing are you to put up with them.

For example .......... the siblings.......... first 10 months or so were "great" not much work but no problems. Then the price of fuel started to climb and they got all too eager to send out tons of $20 trip charges for this or that, and convey condition reports month after month after month after.............. you get the picture.
You'd report issues with the property month after month after month................... and nothing would ever get corrected.

The whole time you are losing money on each one of these because of the cost of fuel etc.
I finally reduced my coverage area and apparently that isn't allowed..... because as soon as I did that the honeymoon was OVER and they got to be really bad to work for.
2 months later they sent me a dear John letter.

I could go on and on with stories about all the companies I worked for. Nationals, regionals etc. Some of the most unethical and illegal activity that I ever witnessed goes on in the name of them making money and you not so much.

Reactions: Backwell

·
Registered
343 Posts
yup

Good money is a relative term and different for everyone. Some people need $100 a day to feed their families and are willing to work 18 hours to make it. Bad hourly but it makes ends meet.
We made good money with Safeguard when we took any and everything they sent, but spent obscene amounts of office time chasing missing and shorted money.
Grass cuts take maybe 10 minutes to upload.
Initial service orders a lot longer.
HPIRs were ridiculous.
They will put as many vendors in an area until they feel comfortable they can dictate a "take it or leave it" agenda.
Depending on your mindset and your business ability, you can do ok.

yup that summed it up we did 100 k in a year with them but dropped them as they are just to tedious to deal with

·
Registered
343 Posts
As i reflect on my time with safeguard i remember an incident , i went to a prop to do initials and said woo hoo apartment building look at those lock changes and wint fees go get it boys ... we were doing our " thing" and a person showed up who claimed to work for the owner of the building ( houston we have a problem ) we ceased further work at this point but we had relocked and winted it all already FFWD the owner shows up yes indeed he had purchased some 60 days prior and then alerted 50 to ride around ( this is why you keep your printed WO on your truck seat ) we called safeguard it got cleared up i handed over the keys and turned the water back on , thankfully a dry heat sytem

so you say no harm no foul right ???

no my safeguard vendor manager Jason Kulwicki (name not changed to protect the innocent ) deleted the WO from the safe guard system like it was never issued

it took me 4 months to get my money at least i didnt get an RTV

so if your a NYer tell jason hi from BTS me and may he get cancer of the A hole

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
Daily. Example, you may have 150 Safeguard invoices outstanding. You get a check for 45 of the invoices. They screw up a couple of the invoice numbers and short some amounts by a few bucks, or more. You can't match it up with any open invoices in Quickbooks without guessing. No one in accounting can help you or even gives a hoot because it was some low level gum popper that did the work. So, your left with accepting that the check supposed to be $11500, is only $10,980.

Jason didn't always handle the NY area. He is just another in a long line.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
100k in a year is pretty impressive for a company that is talked so badly about. How often did you have to fight for your money?

100k is not that impressive if its gross. Its also not that that impressive if its net and you have 100 guys doing the work. Its relative to the size of your company.

Lets say you're a one man show and you gross 100k. After you take out dump fees, fuel, depreciation, phone, insurance, licenses, chargebacks, nopays, etc, etc, etc. and you are left with $20k. Now you worked the average 2k hours in a year (which isn't true if you figure in all the uploading time). That comes out to $10/hr. Not impressive at all as a business owner.

What I'm saying is a revenue number in and of itself doesn't mean squat without knowing all the details that support it. Feb was my best month this year. I grossed 28k just from one regional. Not bad for a one man show with my son as an employee right? Wrong, I didn't make ch!t after, materials, fuel, and paying out my speciality subs (mason, electrician, etc).

·
Banned
76 Posts
100k is not that impressive if its gross. Its also not that that impressive if its net and you have 100 guys doing the work. Its relative to the size of your company.

Lets say you're a one man show and you gross 100k. After you take out dump fees, fuel, depreciation, phone, insurance, licenses, chargebacks, nopays, etc, etc, etc. and you are left with $20k. Now you worked the average 2k hours in a year (which isn't true if you figure in all the uploading time). That comes out to $10/hr. Not impressive at all as a business owner.

What I'm saying is a revenue number in and of itself doesn't mean squat without knowing all the details that support it. Feb was my best month this year. I grossed 28k just from one regional. Not bad for a one man show with my son as an employee right? Wrong, I didn't make ch!t after, materials, fuel, and paying out my speciality subs (mason, electrician, etc).
Of course but you're definitely over estimating cost and upkeep. Spending $20 a day on fuel in my truck at these prices would get me 100 miles. Let's say $20 a day, 5 days a week. $100 a week in gas. That's $5600 /yr.

Insurance isn't too bad, licenses for what? Not everything requires licensing. Not getting paid isn't that bad either, it sucks but it's not as bad as you say. If you are getting no pays it's usually under 10% and if you're getting more than that then you're doing something wrong one way or another. Yearly dump passed here are $65 for unlimited and go up to $120. You spend $500 on all the dumps around you for yearly passes and you're still under $10k expenses per year.

Lock changes, board ups, wints, etc. Thing where you front the cash, just make sure you're bidding to profit on those. You shouldn't be counting those as expenses. You should profit from everything. Paying specialty subs is your prerogative. You're not obligated to take those types of work orders and I'm sure you're capable of learning those jobs.

So yes, size of the company does matter in regards to the 100k, however your expenses should not increase as the size of your company increases. Expenses should decrease.

·
Motivator
267 Posts
Expenses DECREASE as the size of your business increases? Dude, I want to talk to your economics professor and get some of what he is on. Just sayin, you should do real well working in this biz. Go fight the good fight.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Of course but you're definitely over estimating cost and upkeep. Spending $20 a day on fuel in my truck at these prices would get me 100 miles. Let's say $20 a day, 5 days a week. $100 a week in gas. That's $5600 /yr.

You must be working a highly populated area.

300 miles a day is NOTHING in rural areas. Many days more than 300 miles.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts