REO Property Preservation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Spme expenses do decrease. Example the more you pay in workers comp, the rate goes down, so your cost per 100 in payroll drops. Overhead numbers should go down per employee because you are spreading you costs over more man hrs, thus reduces your overhead per hr. Your insurance bill per 1000 goes down becasue rates are based on volume. You may pay more overall but the cost per 1000 in net sales goes down.

Your half rate you may pay more in expenses but your cost per expenses goes down because your spreading the costs over more man hrs.

If you hire just straight labor and your don't have to buy anymore equipment your should a decrease of around 15% per man hr by adding each additional employee.

I just added 1 new employee this year, my overall expenses when up 13% not including payroll. But my cost per hr drop 15% because my overhead expenses went down.

My math and books shows for every employee I add it adds roughly 90k in sales and 18k in profit. Thats all expenses are paid and all bs is taken care of.

These are just my numbers and its an example.

Expenses DECREASE as the size of your business increases? Dude, I want to talk to your economics professor and get some of what he is on. Just sayin, you should do real well working in this biz. Go fight the good fight.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Of course but you're definitely over estimating cost and upkeep. Spending $20 a day on fuel in my truck at these prices would get me 100 miles. Let's say $20 a day, 5 days a week. $100 a week in gas. That's $5600 /yr.

Insurance isn't too bad, licenses for what? Not everything requires licensing. Not getting paid isn't that bad either, it sucks but it's not as bad as you say. If you are getting no pays it's usually under 10% and if you're getting more than that then you're doing something wrong one way or another. Yearly dump passed here are $65 for unlimited and go up to $120. You spend $500 on all the dumps around you for yearly passes and you're still under $10k expenses per year.

Lock changes, board ups, wints, etc. Thing where you front the cash, just make sure you're bidding to profit on those. You shouldn't be counting those as expenses. You should profit from everything. Paying specialty subs is your prerogative. You're not obligated to take those types of work orders and I'm sure you're capable of learning those jobs.

So yes, size of the company does matter in regards to the 100k, however your expenses should not increase as the size of your company increases. Expenses should decrease.
After your post above. I'm not sure that I (or anybody else here) can help you. One of the biggest expenses I didn't specifically call out is taxes. Don't forget you pay both sides of the FICA and Medicare tax!

You are obviously in free-for-all area. Good luck learning to be a licensed, electrician, plumber or HVAC guy. When you you "learn" those trades, you will learn that you shouldn't and can't work for the prices that nats and regionals want to pay.

I won't get caught in my area pretending to be something I'm not so I can lose my GC license.

By the way, since when does SG allow you to bid a lock change or board up??

Best of luck to you. You're gonna need it. In a different thread you talked about being cash strapped and trading an ATV for a trailer until your check comes in. That is not a good place to be in in this line of work.:no::no:

·
Banned
76 Posts
Expenses DECREASE as the size of your business increases? Dude, I want to talk to your economics professor and get some of what he is on. Just sayin, you should do real well working in this biz. Go fight the good fight.
Per team. If you're spending 10k a year with one team, 2 teams would be around 17k. Etc.

·
Banned
76 Posts
After your post above. I'm not sure that I (or anybody else here) can help you. One of the biggest expenses I didn't specifically call out is taxes. Don't forget you pay both sides of the FICA and Medicare tax!

You are obviously in free-for-all area. Good luck learning to be a licensed, electrician, plumber or HVAC guy. When you you "learn" those trades, you will learn that you shouldn't and can't work for the prices that nats and regionals want to pay.

I won't get caught in my area pretending to be something I'm not so I can lose my GC license.

By the way, since when does SG allow you to bid a lock change or board up??

Best of luck to you. You're gonna need it. In a different thread you talked about being cash strapped and trading an ATV for a trailer until your check comes in. That is not a good place to be in in this line of work.:no::no:
I've been a contractor for years before this. I have the ability to bid on just about every single thing I do with Safeguard, maybe it's because of my location? The fact is, if you're margins are lower than 20% then you're doing something wrong. Not trying to be rude

The reason I'm cash strapped is because there just is no work right now. Safeguard and other companies have tons of work. So if I'm making money, 20% margin or not I'm going to do it.

·
Motivator
267 Posts
Per team. If you're spending 10k a year with one team, 2 teams would be around 17k. Etc.
Keep in mind that although some general clerical/ins/wc may fall by marginal percentages. Your need supplies, equipment, safety training, all will increase. Often times these expenses are overlooked (and yes most can be depreciated), and that initial up front cost to properly equip each crew has to be phased in accordingly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thats all overhead stuff you mentioned and if you are running a business like it suppose to run those costs per man hr go down. You also have to remember your sales are going to increase by at least between 2-4x as much as you pay the employee so you should be running a profit on each employee.

Your overhead per employee is the highest between 3-15 employees after that point your cost per employee goes down becasue you can spread the overhead over more labor hrs.

Keep in mind that although some general clerical/ins/wc may fall by marginal percentages. Your need supplies, equipment, safety training, all will increase. Often times these expenses are overlooked (and yes most can be depreciated), and that initial up front cost to properly equip each crew has to be phased in accordingly.

·
Motivator
267 Posts
Keep in mind we are talking to someone who cannot afford to buy a trailer and has to trade one of his toys for it. I'm simply pointing out a few things that are often times overlooked by the new comers.

4 years ago I ran 17 employees, 6 trucks, misc. trailers, and other misc. equipment. I can say that was a fiasco and not in the least enjoyable. Cutting down to bare bones has made life tolerable. It never ceased to amaze me at all the little hidden costs that are often overlooked.

·
Banned
76 Posts
It sounds like you're trying to make your job appear harder than it is so you feel more satisfaction than you need to doing it. Nothing wrong with new people coming in, a lot of people tend to talk bad about the industry and complain perhaps in hopes it will scare others away but honestly it just looks like you can't do the job without complaining and makes you seem like a teenager.

I don't want to argue or hurt any feelings but my financial situation doesn't dictate my knowledge of how to run a business in general. I have a 4 yr degree in business management! I appreciate input especially in regards to my questions but some people should know that it's not completely impossible to get paid.

I know a ton of people that are making a lot of money from this type of work. It's good work, typically consistent. There are costs but usually they are profitable as long as you're smart enough, pick the right jobs, and don't over-extend yourself. I also understand the overheard with insurance, taxes, supplies, etc but I don't think they are taking your profits down 80%.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Keep in mind we are talking to someone who cannot afford to buy a trailer and has to trade one of his toys for it. I'm simply pointing out a few things that are often times overlooked by the new comers.

4 years ago I ran 17 employees, 6 trucks, misc. trailers, and other misc. equipment. I can say that was a fiasco and not in the least enjoyable. Cutting down to bare bones has made life tolerable. It never ceased to amaze me at all the little hidden costs that are often overlooked.
Preach it BROTHER Its just like getting married

·
Motivator
267 Posts
Don't misinterpret my negativity as trying to dissuade you or anyone else from jumping in the game. That is a YOU decision, not a me/we decision. I don't think the vendor pool is diluted enough, we need more upstarts in this racket.
Just make damn certain you go into it with clear eyes, and a willingness to set aside your morals/principals. This industry has rapidly grown immune to both of those characteristics. Be prepared to fight tooth and nail for monies owed, and absolutely don't get tied to just one source of income. Loyalty is nonexistent regardless of your status or ability to perform the work to "above industry standards".

I wish you luck. Save up while the earnings are plentiful, as their is and always will be peaks and valleys.

As to your comment earlier about knowing a lot of people making a ton of money in this industry...spend some time with them before you jump in guns blazing. It will save you many headaches. Trust me on this, I did not have a mentor when I breached into this industry and it would have prevented me from burning some resourceful bridges along the way.

It sounds like you're trying to make your job appear harder than it is so you feel more satisfaction than you need to doing it. Nothing wrong with new people coming in, a lot of people tend to talk bad about the industry and complain perhaps in hopes it will scare others away but honestly it just looks like you can't do the job without complaining and makes you seem like a teenager.

I don't want to argue or hurt any feelings but my financial situation doesn't dictate my knowledge of how to run a business in general. I have a 4 yr degree in business management! I appreciate input especially in regards to my questions but some people should know that it's not completely impossible to get paid.

I know a ton of people that are making a lot of money from this type of work. It's good work, typically consistent. There are costs but usually they are profitable as long as you're smart enough, pick the right jobs, and don't over-extend yourself. I also understand the overheard with insurance, taxes, supplies, etc but I don't think they are taking your profits down 80%.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Don't misinterpret my negativity as trying to dissuade you or anyone else from jumping in the game. That is a YOU decision, not a me/we decision. I don't think the vendor pool is diluted enough, we need more upstarts in this racket.
Just make damn certain you go into it with clear eyes, and a willingness to set aside your morals/principals. This industry has rapidly grown immune to both of those characteristics. Be prepared to fight tooth and nail for monies owed, and absolutely don't get tied to just one source of income. Loyalty is nonexistent regardless of your status or ability to perform the work to "above industry standards".

I wish you luck. Save up while the earnings are plentiful, as their is and always will be peaks and valleys.

As to your comment earlier about knowing a lot of people making a ton of money in this industry...spend some time with them before you jump in guns blazing. It will save you many headaches. Trust me on this, I did not have a mentor when I breached into this industry and it would have prevented me from burning some resourceful bridges along the way.
I agree that loyalty is gone and haven't expected it for a long time. Everything is about profiting. The reason I was so shocked coming here and hearing all the negativity about SG is because my friend in the ATL area who does close to $1,000,000.00 in revenue yearly rarely has any issues with payment.

They are very hard workers though, he has a crew of 4 and they live out of hotels and cover the entire state. I have only heard positive about them. He started with a rusted truck and no money to where he is now in under 5 years and I thought that was an excellent story. So you can see where my shock came from. I do understand that it's not going to happen to everyone but SG can't be as bad as it's made out to be.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
I do understand that it's not going to happen to everyone but SG can't be as bad as it's made out to be.

Don't take our word for it, go to www.ripoffreport.com and punch in SG.

You'll continue to be shocked!

Besides at their recruitment seminars they have to have a couple successful folks to point to so that they can reel in FNGs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
100k in a year is pretty impressive for a company that is talked so badly about. How often did you have to fight for your money?
it should have been 130k that year and at the time we did work for them there was no such thing as a " regional company " there were less vendors and HUD allowable was somewhat adhered too. as stated earlier in the post they flood the area with vendors and now so do regionals ( at that time regionals covered seven counties or sometimes less ) and give you a " take it or leave it " they didnt have that option then, also it seemed they would pick and choose the RTV or RTS issues dependent on distance and value of invoice ,, the farther away the more likely you would get one. they once declined an invoice for a sales clean over a bottle of cleaner sitting on a counter in an "after" pic , we werent willing to travel 40 miles round trip to retake the 'after' pic so we ate the 150 ,another cool trick was after you got one RTV or RTS and fulfilled it they would send another
true enough the whole deal to which im speaking was at or about 3g pre discount they ground it to death ex post factos so cost to me for this 3g job was at or about 14 hundred with tipping dumpsters cleaning supplies add discount @ 25% 750 + 1400 we got 2150 overhead here we get 750 net for the day sounds good but wait 150 for a bottle of cleaner left on a counter ,, so now 600 net but wait that fantastic website user friendly and full of fuzzy kittens and puppies
the time to write the bid etc BTW trip charge is deducted if bid is awarded within 30 days - 25bux 550net

do you think because they are required to get 2 bids when it hits X dollars they only get 2 or do they get 4 or maybe 6 bids ( flooded with contractors )
then we go into lowest " qualified" bid so lets say bid 4 and 5 are kicked out bid 1,2,and 6 are presented my 3g bid is never seen by the "client " but awarded to vendor 4 (thats us ) even though it was never presented to the client ( we are subs dont get it wrong thats all we are, they are the contractors ) so now bank blah has 3 bids we have and we have an approved WO for 3g

lets recap they billed "client" according to number vendor 2s bid at 4 g instant 1k profit charged us 150 for the cleaner pulled back the 25 for the trip charge add in 25% percent discount charge to us 750
so 1k+150+750 1900 to them on a 3g bid
btw its net and usually up to 60 days before pay so if you got those dumpsters on your visa @ 19% ,,,,

·
Banned
76 Posts
it should have been 130k that year and at the time we did work for them there was no such thing as a " regional company " there were less vendors and HUD allowable was somewhat adhered too. as stated earlier in the post they flood the area with vendors and now so do regionals ( at that time regionals covered seven counties or sometimes less ) and give you a " take it or leave it " they didnt have that option then, also it seemed they would pick and choose the RTV or RTS issues dependent on distance and value of invoice ,, the farther away the more likely you would get one. they once declined an invoice for a sales clean over a bottle of cleaner sitting on a counter in an "after" pic , we werent willing to travel 40 miles round trip to retake the 'after' pic so we ate the 150 ,another cool trick was after you got one RTV or RTS and fulfilled it they would send another
true enough the whole deal to which im speaking was at or about 3g pre discount they ground it to death ex post factos so cost to me for this 3g job was at or about 14 hundred with tipping dumpsters cleaning supplies add discount @ 25% 750 + 1400 we got 2150 overhead here we get 750 net for the day sounds good but wait 150 for a bottle of cleaner left on a counter ,, so now 600 net but wait that fantastic website user friendly and full of fuzzy kittens and puppies
the time to write the bid etc BTW trip charge is deducted if bid is awarded within 30 days - 25bux 550net

do you think because they are required to get 2 bids when it hits X dollars they only get 2 or do they get 4 or maybe 6 bids ( flooded with contractors )
then we go into lowest " qualified" bid so lets say bid 4 and 5 are kicked out bid 1,2,and 6 are presented my 3g bid is never seen by the "client " but awarded to vendor 4 (thats us ) even though it was never presented to the client ( we are subs dont get it wrong thats all we are, they are the contractors ) so now bank blah has 3 bids we have and we have an approved WO for 3g

lets recap they billed "client" according to number vendor 2s bid at 4 g instant 1k profit charged us 150 for the cleaner pulled back the 25 for the trip charge add in 25% percent discount charge to us 750
so 1k+150+750 1900 to them on a 3g bid
btw its net and usually up to 60 days before pay so if you got those dumpsters on your visa @ 19% ,,,,
So you bid 3k for the job. You can't count their profit.
$3.000 minus $25(trip charge), $minus 150(you messed up your pictures), $750(expected 25% discount you agreed to.) = $2,075 profit on the job.

The credit card interest you can't count either. The vendors can decide whether or not to use credit cards and besides you said within 30 days the trip charge isn't counted so that 19% shouldn't have really effected you.
You didn't drive 40 miles round trip to get $150 and you messed up the pictures. How are they to assume you brought the bottle with you? That's what the pictures are for. The discount is expected, their profit is expected. You made $2,075.00 on that job according to your data and it could've been $2225.00 but you messed up. I'm not saying Safeguard isn't a bad company. I'm saying your error caused a loss and you still profited for the job, minus your alleged $1,400 for cleaning supplies which is ridiculous. Even on a huge clean that is insane.

·
Registered
343 Posts
btw that year was over 375k 10 guys on and off 3 trucks two mowers safe guard was the low dog on the pay end but they did manage to almost double my hours worked per week effectively dropping my gross pay from 15 bux to 9 bux an hour but it was a 90 hour week 52 weeks a year so i made it up in volume LMAO ,,, Then BOA came on the scene and due to the fact they had / have the most inventory they are able to manipulate the entire industry and further drop pricing from better paying banks . boa says to wells "we only pay x" wells says "well dang son, were going to price match " KABOOM knoblock change with deadbolt goes from 60 to 30 , no worries they cost more to buy , but wait we are going to give you 300 WO and ten pages of PCR to fill out your going to get rich

·
Registered
343 Posts
So you bid 3k for the job. You can't count their profit.
$3.000 minus $25(trip charge), $minus 150(you messed up your pictures), $750(expected 25% discount you agreed to.) = $2,075 profit on the job.

The credit card interest you can't count either. The vendors can decide whether or not to use credit cards and besides you said within 30 days the trip charge isn't counted so that 19% shouldn't have really effected you.
You didn't drive 40 miles round trip to get $150 and you messed up the pictures. How are they to assume you brought the bottle with you? That's what the pictures are for. The discount is expected, their profit is expected. You made $2,075.00 on that job according to your data and it could've been $2225.00 but you messed up. I'm not saying Safeguard isn't a bad company. I'm saying your error caused a loss and you still profited for the job, minus your alleged $1,400 for cleaning supplies which is ridiculous. Even on a huge clean that is insane.
the dumpster part you missed the dumpster part

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Why are the dumpsters you rent so expensive? I had one rented for $180 upfront for the drop off and pick up then an additional $30 per ton. You paid ten times that? What companies do you work with right now?

REALLY????? You think that costs and fees are the same nationwide?????

I've gotten 30 yarders for just under $400.
I've had them priced to me at $800.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts