REO Property Preservation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts
BPWY said:
Highly probable that I'm younger than you.
Now whose the old fogy? :whistling :laughing:
Dude, I heard you're so old that they had to chisel you a birth certificate. Now the question is, I wonder if it's real????:laughing::laughing::laughing:

If you don't pay drive time, and the truck gets a flat, do they just sit around and wait for you to show up and change it?

I would.

I know a guy who is charged 5 bucks for each ride. 5 bucks to the jobsite, 5 more between jobs.

One day last week, he rode with his block mason boss to the jobsite, ($5) worked an hour an a half (made 15 bucks) rode to another site, to set up for the next day's work ($5) worked an hour (made another 10 bucks) rode back to the shop ($5) 25-15= $10 bucks take home pay that day!

He used to work for my wife and I. After he left, it turned out that he was stuffing his pockets with cash and product from my wife's store.

Karma is indeed a beyotch!

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Crawdad with a reputation like that he probably can't get any better of a job.

Crawdad said:
I know a guy who is charged 5 bucks for each ride. 5 bucks to the jobsite, 5 more between jobs.

One day last week, he rode with his block mason boss to the jobsite, ($5) worked an hour an a half (made 15 bucks) rode to another site, to set up for the next day's work ($5) worked an hour (made another 10 bucks) rode back to the shop ($5) 25-15= $10 bucks take home pay that day!

He used to work for my wife and I. After he left, it turned out that he was stuffing his pockets with cash and product from my wife's store.

Karma is indeed a beyotch!
I don't understand, the boss charged $5 per ride?

I believe travel to and from the job are an expense of doing business just as much as insurance, licensing tools and so on. If a job does not pay well enough to cover all expenses and still make a reasonable profit then why take the job?

That said I do understand the need to bid work away from home at times and how challenging it can be to submit a competitive bid against the locals with the added expenses.

For a good employer and a good job I am happy to meet half way. If I ride in a company vehicle, pay me one way. If I take my own truck, pay me one way and cover my fuel.

sitdwnandhngon said:
I don't understand, the boss charged $5 per ride?
Yes, 5 dollars for each ride, even the rides between jobsites.

BPWY said:
Crawdad with a reputation like that he probably can't get any better of a job.
I hope not, anyhow. We helped him out, treated him like family. He even stayed at our house on Christmas eve, and had gifts and a stocking on Christmas morning, etc.

He occasionally will text my wife on a holiday, but I haven't spoken to him in a couple years now. I'm not sure what I'll say to him, if and when I see him, but it probably won't be very polite.

I have a sub within 2 hours of all parts of the state.

For 1 hour, one way, I pay $15 extra. For 2 hour, one way, I pay $30. The exception to this is they have to ask for a special trip charge which I generally approve. Most of the time, the subs are happy with the other work they get and are fine eating these occasional jobs.

These jobs are few and far between and not common.

Now if I'm doing a long haul job and I have laborers with me, I pay them the entire time and I usually make enough money that an extra $100 doesnt affect my profit too much. I dont do these jobs and get trip charges very often.

I have a screwed up job story to tell.

A client, starting with the letter M, offered me 3.5k to tarp a 3,000 sf house, that was a 5 hour drive away and wanted it done first thing the next day which meant I had to drop everything and leave immediately. I figured I could net $2.5k from a days work easily. Costco has good, cheap, large tarps.

I took my girlfriend, and booked a nice B&B, thinking she would hang out while I tarp this by myself. We had a great dinner and rang up a few nice expenses.

I make it to this property and its on the top of a frigging mountain with crazy wind problems. The lowest part of the roof is 35" high. And the kicker, it's concrete shingles. I call the client and begin what has become a bad relationship ever since.

His suggestions:
1) cover the entire 3000sf roof with my tarp and tie all the eyelets together with a really long rope. "My tarp isn't that f*$(ing big".
2) goto Home Depot and ask one of their pro desk guys for advice, the know how to do everything. "(teeth clenched) No"
3) drill pilot holes through the concrete shingles so you can pound 4" nails thru 2x4s and then into the roof. "This will destroy the roof and no".
4) break all the shingles off until you have nothing but plywood... "Ok, but you need to send me an email stating that you want me to remove a 40k roof so we can tarp it"

I finally went inside to look at the water damage and what I found was questionable whether it was caused by roof leak or vapor damage inside a shower. It wasn't HUD keyed so I had to break in and change the lock to a hud key and leave a new lockbox.

When I explained the issue, their response was, "Oh, well, screw it, just invoice for a trip charge." Their standard trip charge is $30. I invoiced $1100 ($1000 for trip, $60 for the lock, $40 for the lockbox). They didn't pay me for the knob or lockbox and reduced my trip to $150. Wow. I lost 2 days of work, about $300 in gas and way overspent on everything else.

If I didn't gross over 500k from them per year, I would have liened their house I was so upset.

This manager and I have never seen eye to eye since I told him he wasn't qualified to suggest what I should do on anymore jobs requiring construction experience.

Discussion starter · #49 ·
And to think that the likes of FAS etc think that P&P is completely black and white.

foothillsco said:
I have a sub within 2 hours of all parts of the state.

For 1 hour, one way, I pay $15 extra. For 2 hour, one way, I pay $30. The exception to this is they have to ask for a special trip charge which I generally approve. Most of the time, the subs are happy with the other work they get and are fine eating these occasional jobs.

These jobs are few and far between and not common.

Now if I'm doing a long haul job and I have laborers with me, I pay them the entire time and I usually make enough money that an extra $100 doesnt affect my profit too much. I dont do these jobs and get trip charges very often.

I have a screwed up job story to tell.

A client, starting with the letter M, offered me 3.5k to tarp a 3,000 sf house, that was a 5 hour drive away and wanted it done first thing the next day which meant I had to drop everything and leave immediately. I figured I could net $2.5k from a days work easily. Costco has good, cheap, large tarps.

I took my girlfriend, and booked a nice B&B, thinking she would hang out while I tarp this by myself. We had a great dinner and rang up a few nice expenses.

I make it to this property and its on the top of a frigging mountain with crazy wind problems. The lowest part of the roof is 35" high. And the kicker, it's concrete shingles. I call the client and begin what has become a bad relationship ever since.

His suggestions:
1) cover the entire 3000sf roof with my tarp and tie all the eyelets together with a really long rope. "My tarp isn't that f*$(ing big".
2) goto Home Depot and ask one of their pro desk guys for advice, the know how to do everything. "(teeth clenched) No"
3) drill pilot holes through the concrete shingles so you can pound 4" nails thru 2x4s and then into the roof. "This will destroy the roof and no".
4) break all the shingles off until you have nothing but plywood... "Ok, but you need to send me an email stating that you want me to remove a 40k roof so we can tarp it"

I finally went inside to look at the water damage and what I found was questionable whether it was caused by roof leak or vapor damage inside a shower. It wasn't HUD keyed so I had to break in and change the lock to a hud key and leave a new lockbox.

When I explained the issue, their response was, "Oh, well, screw it, just invoice for a trip charge." Their standard trip charge is $30. I invoiced $1100 ($1000 for trip, $60 for the lock, $40 for the lockbox). They didn't pay me for the knob or lockbox and reduced my trip to $150. Wow. I lost 2 days of work, about $300 in gas and way overspent on everything else.

If I didn't gross over 500k from them per year, I would have liened their house I was so upset.

This manager and I have never seen eye to eye since I told him he wasn't qualified to suggest what I should do on anymore jobs requiring construction experience.
So did you do the job you agreed to? 1100.00 to look at a job and not do? Maybe I missed something

foothillsco said:
The drywall business is that slow eh?
He asked a valid question.

You may have made the drive, purchased the tarp, and was prepared to do a job you weren't able to when you got there. The client may not have a clue about how to get this job done while you're there or come up with an effective solution, but $1,100 sounds pretty excessive.

It was your idea to book the room at the Bed & Breakfast but it sounds like you are including it in your request for compensation. If I know I'm going to need to book a room, I request compensation from the client up front, not try to collect after the fact.

The tarp can be returned or kept for a future job. Either way, you didn't lose.

So what did your invoice for $1,100 cover? I didn't see it broken out so my question would actually be the same. What did I miss?

Linda

a1propertyclean said:

You may have made the drive, purchased the tarp, and was prepared to do a job you weren't able to when you got there. The client may not have a clue about how to get this job done while you're there or come up with an effective solution, but $1,100 sounds pretty excessive.

It was your idea to book the room at the Bed & Breakfast but it sounds like you are including it in your request for compensation. If I know I'm going to need to book a room, I request compensation from the client up front, not try to collect after the fact.

So what did your invoice for $1,100 cover? I didn't see it broken out so my question would actually be the same. What did I miss?

Linda

Thanks Linda. Your correct in everything.

The job was out of my area and they asked me to drop what I was doing to goto the this job. The $3500 was based on the timing of the job and distance. It also included gas and hotel. It didn't occur to me this could be a trip so I should have had a 2nd, what-if scenario for a trip. As you can imagine, this what-if probably wouldn't have been approved and I wouldn't have gone. Jobs like this, last minute, out of territory, are uncommon.

I can make a good chunk of money per day if I don't do this job by working locally.

The concrete shingles issue should have been known in my opinion. They should have realized the shingles were concrete, and therefore, not possible to tarp before I left. The pictures they had, which I didn't see until afterwards, clearly shows a the shingle type.

Yes, it was excessive for a trip charge. However, I think I gave up 2k in possible earnings, without the expenses. For them to expect me to just settle for a $35 trip charge was outrageous. I was also pretty pissed off from my conversations with them.

foothillsco said:
Yes, it was excessive for a trip charge. However, I think I gave up 2k in possible earnings, without the expenses. For them to expect me to just settle for a $35 trip charge was outrageous. I was also pretty pissed off from my conversations with them.
I understand about giving up possible earnings. Unfortunately, it comes with the territory. I agree a $35 trip charge was outrageous and I'm glad you at least got the $150.

Linda

foothillsco said:
Thanks Linda. Your correct in everything.

The job was out of my area and they asked me to drop what I was doing to goto the this job. The $3500 was based on the timing of the job and distance. It also included gas and hotel. It didn't occur to me this could be a trip so I should have had a 2nd, what-if scenario for a trip. As you can imagine, this what-if probably wouldn't have been approved and I wouldn't have gone. Jobs like this, last minute, out of territory, are uncommon.

I can make a good chunk of money per day if I don't do this job by working locally.

The concrete shingles issue should have been known in my opinion. They should have realized the shingles were concrete, and therefore, not possible to tarp before I left. The pictures they had, which I didn't see until afterwards, clearly shows a the shingle type.

this is why I do not go out of my coverage. you try to help them(nations) and they screw you for it.

STARBABY said:
this is why I do not go out of my coverage. you try to help them(nations) and they screw you for it.
OMG, Cyprexx was the worst at that. They would beg to do an out of coverage job, we would do it and then get the followup maintenance orders. By that time, our vendor manager would have been replaced and they would yell at us for rejecting their orders and they would threaten to reduce volume and coverage. They were so bad. When we left, I felt so relieved. It actually improved my business.

Crawdad said:
Yes, 5 dollars for each ride, even the rides between jobsites.
I can only assume this was optional? Like if they had their own ride they could use it? I could see charging an employee that does not have a form of transportation or a valid driving license. But I wouldn't understand it being mandatory for everyone.

5 hour drive each way = probably 600 miles round trip @ $0.55/mile = $330
Probably 2 hours at property in addition to drive, so 12 hours. Probably needed 2 people for job, so 24 hours @ $20/hr = $480

That would put it at $810. $150 doesn't even cover gas for the trip.

Most likely the reason it was a rush high dollar job is that a previous contractor couldn't complete it for the same reason and in my opinion the client should have made him aware.

a1propertyclean said:

Linda

41 - 60 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.