REO Property Preservation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...I just started a Property Preservation Business...I have experience in the business, and now have started my own company...Does anyone have any sugessions on getting work! What Vendors to approach, Real-Estate Co.,Banks? Need the work...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is there a local preservation association, historic landmark commission, seek out architects who have done landmark preservation work in your region.

Go to US Gov and see what land marks are in your area.

It seems like a real narrow field to be in. If you can do preservation remodel , then you should be able to be a full service remodeler with the fine qualities of replicating old world details.

Terry

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Safeguard has virtually unlimited work. They are a pain in the ass, but the work is there if you can read and work quickly. We were hitting 15 houses a day when I pulled the plug. Look into that, takes no talent or skill and it is constant work, not bad when you are staring out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hit the pavement, forget the national companies.
It takes shoe leather and hand shaking to get the good leads.

Nick

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would anyone be willing to share a general price list or price standard that they use when quoting trashout service?

Thank you!!!!

Jennifer
Y2Kleanout
[email protected]

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do a lot of trash outs. There is no "formula" for it. As bad as it sounds, the banks usually have a magic number they will approve automatically. It is an under/over game and you really need to have a Realtor, Asset Manager or Broker that is a friend, explain who does what.

This is really just a short term "add on service", you can't build a business just on trash outs. Just enjoy the extra income and charge a fair price.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Handyman,

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

I hope you have a wonderful and restful weekend!

j-

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have to disagree with handyman, you can make a living on cleanups and trash outs, I gross 15-20k a month on just that. But i do have to agree with who ever said forget the national companies, they want you to work for peanuts. I get around 100-200 to gain access to a property, rekey an leave a lockbox or key and do the initial inspection. the national compaies want it done for 20.00...yes you can get 10-15 jobs a day but it doesn't add up to much and with gas prices going up its just not worth it unless you have a crew that only does that and then you have a reg crew that works with locals to do the real money work. good luck!

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D&R Services said:
I have to disagree with handyman, you can make a living on cleanups and trash outs, I gross 15-20k a month on just that. But i do have to agree with who ever said forget the national companies, they want you to work for peanuts. I get around 100-200 to gain access to a property, rekey an leave a lockbox or key and do the initial inspection. the national compaies want it done for 20.00...yes you can get 10-15 jobs a day but it doesn't add up to much and with gas prices going up its just not worth it unless you have a crew that only does that and then you have a reg crew that works with locals to do the real money work. good luck!
I didn't say you couldn't make a living, I said you can't build a business on trash outs. We are making excellent money on these today, but 2 years from now, will there still be a need? This is why I said "Build a business."

I figure building a business is a lifetime thing, so the short term trash outs are just one of the services that my "business" offers. Also, you do not build up clientele, so you are always prospecting, in my business, I am after customer's for life. The banks will not be there throwing money my way when my XX year old goes to college, but my long list of repeat customers will still be there, as long as I have done my job correctly.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
D&R....would you be willing to chat or email with me? I have alot of questions and found in the short time of being a member here that asking questions around here like I did on another thread about this didnt work too well?? I just really would like to actually talk with a PP company owner...can you help me out?
Oh BTW I live on the West side of Michigan on the lake shore. I am 38 and desperately wanting to own my own business and work for myself more than I can describe here. I have done quite a bit of research but still have some detailed and specific questions that I cant find the answers too....I hate cubic yard....great site for info, real crappy for navigating around the site to cipher the info.
Anyway the other thread I was in seems to of died, so I am glad to of found this one and would love if you can help me out. I think you can email me through my profile???

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck in the future, for anyone considering trash outs as a way to "build" a business, it's not. It may be a way to "start" a business, but you will need more to "sustain" a company for the long term.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am new to the this forum but I have already seen a lot of good advice. Maybe I can add a little. Regarding the getting started question: it should be obvious that you need equipment, supplies, and people that have the skills to do the work correctly. Then you need your licensing and insurance. If you try to do business without insurance and a license (you may get away with this for a while with some Realtors in my experience), hopefully you don't own anything that you might lose if you get sued.

Here is an example of what can happen: I have seen this same issue three times now. Someone winterize a house. They do everything by the book but forget to close the cold water valve for washer hook-up where they pressurized the system from. The water is off at the street so no harm, no foul. The house goes into escrow and an inspection is ordered. The Realtor or asset manager orders utilities turned on and the water district comes out and turns on the water. Two days later, the inspector arrives to find a flooded house. Stuff happens.

Now while you are acquiring your equipment, supplies and staff you need an education. Start with HUD, Fannie Mae, VA, FHA, etc. guidelines. I don't think you need to memorize them, but I suggest you print them and put them in a binder to keep with you. You need to have a good grasp of costs and maintenance expenses of your vehicles, tools, dump fees, labor, insurance, locks, building materials, etc. Your business showing a profit is going to be predicated on your ability to price and bid jobs. I see people in my area take jobs at prices where I know they will lose money. HUD authorized $40 per cubic yard for debris removal in Nevada. I know I can do OK if I get $25 to $35 per cu/yd depending on the dump fees in a particular area. I have in my files price sheets from Field Service Companies offering $13 per yard. There is no way to make a profit at that price, not when we pay $9 per yard to dump.

Now, where do you find business. I agree with handyman that building a business by selling your services to the community that you live in is the best longer term business model. I spend a lot of time calling on Realtors, Property Managers, Home Owners Associations, etc. They all have a need for your services. I think that if you call on these people on a regular basis, eventually they will either need you that day, or they will see you are not a fly-by-night and take a chance on you. Then it is up to you to do a good, timely job so you can build that relationship. Make sure you get their payment policy before you do any work. And don't do any work unless you have a written order. While we are at it, keep all documentation for years. Also, in our county, we have a lot of abandoned properties that pose health and safety issues. I keep in touch with our County Compliance Officer who from time-to-time gives me some large clean-up and demo jobs on properties he condemns.

Back to REO. I agree that National Field Service Companies can be difficult to deal with. First, they all do things differently and if you work for several as we do, you have to keep their guidlines straight. You can't fight them over pictures or pricing or time frames. I used to be in the Towing Business in Buffalo and at Lake Tahoe. We serviced AAA and in 1980 we were paid $6.85 per call in the summer and $7.85 in the winter. There was little profit per call, but they gave us work year-round, which insured that we could pay our bills. I see Safeguard, FAS, First American the same way. These guys are dominent in many areas of the Country, (they are in ours), so if you want to grow your business, you may have to deal with them. Just remember, if you do work for these guys, make sure you are contracted direct and not subing from one of their vendor/contractors. If you are a sub for one of their vendors, there will not be enough money for you to get a fair price after the Nationals and their vendors take their cut. I find companies like REOAllegiance and Cyprexx (as examples) more fair and easier to work with. There are dozens of National and Regional Field Service Companies, many of whom are new to the industry. Be carefull about getting too buried in accounts receivable with one company, especially a new one. If they fold tent, it may take a long time to collect. If you do large rehab jobs, ask for material money up front. I have had several asset managers get me deposits for large jobs.

Do your homework, know your costs, bid for profit and look to REO listing agents for the best paying work. Sign up with National and Regional Field Service Companies, but if you can, check out their pricing and guidelines before you go through the application process.

I don't know if any of this helps, but I hope so. If anyone wants to email me direct, you can reach me at [email protected].

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How is everyone doing?

Hello! I am new to this site and was wondering how business has been for everyone. We have been branching off our current business into property preservations and we have had a hard time getting any response on jobs. Thank so much for any advice you have!!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting additional exposure in the property preservation business

sandiegopmr said:
Hi All...I just started a Property Preservation Business...I have experience in the business, and now have started my own company...Does anyone have any sugessions on getting work! What Vendors to approach, Real-Estate Co.,Banks? Need the work...

Some companies to consider apply with

NVMS
Trinity Field Service
Sand Castle

You should also consider getting your company listed on the Mortgage field rep directory. Banks and asset management companies use the site to find additional reps nationwide. The site address is mortgagefieldrep [dot] com . Sign up is FREE!

·
Registered
212 Posts
building business

I read this thread & thought I might weigh in on the "can't build a business on trashouts" theory. In 2005 I took over for a retired contractor that has been in the business for 20 years. He is now retired with 1.5m liquid in the bank. To be fair he is not really retired because he kept his smaller contract, but I took his largest contract & have been pulling a constant 30k per month off of it.

Handyman service - I understand your point of view on this but it really only applies to people who recently decided to add this business to their portfolio. If this is your only business as it is ours you can most certainly build a very lucrative business.

as a side note my grandfather - a business owner for the last 30 years (30m a year in revenues for the past 15 years) told me you can build a business on anything worth your effort.

hope everybody had a good christmas!!

Dale - Otero Properties Inc Tampa, FL

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get out and meet as many people in the business as you can, and give them/email a flyer listing services and coverage area, and fill out as many applications with the big boys and keep following up with them, eventually you will get work. It may take a few weeks/months but if you stay determined it will happen:thumbup:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sandiegopmr said:
You should also consider getting certified. This is the step that's often over looked by some in the industry. You shouldn't have to guess your way through learning the field. One claim filed against you or your company for a winterization completed or documented improperly can put you out of business. If this ever happened you'll find out quickly what being an independent contractor truly is all about.

Another source to find more client is :

go to dmoz (dot) org and type in financial service companies

Here's to your success,

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dump and other costs!!!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. I have a few questions regarding cost of materials, dump costs etc. I have a remodeling business, and we are just getting into property preservation. The company we will be contracting with pays $36 per cubic yard for debris removal. My dump charges $35 per cubic yard! FHA regs. in CT state that they pay $55 per cubic yard. Even if I charged $55, I'm not making money. Gas, insurance, etc. Anyone else run into this? In CT you need to be a town resident to use the dump, so I'm stuck with my town dump pricing.

Also, re-keys pay $88 for 2, $55 for one. Sounds reasonable I think. Any comments would be appreciated. I want to make sure I can make money.

Boardups pay up to $29 for up to 8 sqft, $31 9-16 sqft, $34 17-32 sqft. Sheet of 4x8 1/2" cdx is about $30, 2x4's and carriage bolts about another $10 per window I would guess. So, I'm guessing around $17.50 per small window in materials, that leaves $10.50 per small window for my time.

Is anyone making money with prices like this?

I appreciate all the help I can get on this one.

Thanks,

Richard

1 - 20 of 51 Posts