REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I am a new contractor in the property preservation business. Would like to hear from other new guys and ask what has been most difficult for you in getting into this business. (besides not being paid on time!) Thanks everybody!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
kingman said:
Hello Everyone,

I am a new contractor in the property preservation business. Would like to hear from other new guys and ask what has been most difficult for you in getting into this business. (besides not being paid on time!) Thanks everybody!
Go ahead and place an introduction first, tell us a little about yourself and your operation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just started doing property preservation on foreclosed homes. I am doing this on my own with 0 employees right now. I used to do maintenance for a 300 apartment complex. The thing I am struggling with right now is all the photos that are required. The company I am contracted with is Asterisk.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Welcome to the site, there are a lot of hours worth of reading here for your enjoyment.

Good luck on being a newb in this industry. Its not for the faint of heart.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
kingman said:
Thank you.
I'm sure you have the nuts an bolts with mechanical ability...Now you need a course in "the ridiculous" Remember you wanna get paid for your work. TO do that you have to show what you did...from start to finish... many FS reps have to be spoon fed. They won't understand at times you may need a "sky-hook" or for former military..."squelch grease". Remember to keep it simple.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. Guess the hardest part about this new adventure is the
bs you have to go through and not get frustrated just to get your paycheck.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
kingman said:
Thanks for the advice. Guess the hardest part about this new adventure is the
bs you have to go through and not get frustrated just to get your paycheck.
Remember it's a game... Calculate your moves before you do'em, anticipate what would hold up payment... Photo's only show what you want people to see. Read the HUD P&P documents, know the documents you signed-on for, and if WO are unclear... send an email requesting clarification. Communicate with your client.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much! Obviously you've had lots of experience and know what you're doing and how to do it. I am still working my regular job plus doing this property preservation stuff and eventually will be quitting my day job - I hope!
Are you doing preservation jobs also?

·
Contractor
486 Posts
kingman said:
Thank you so much! Obviously you've had lots of experience and know what you're doing and how to do it. I am still working my regular job plus doing this property preservation stuff and eventually will be quitting my day job - I hope!
I try to pick the work I want to do... I stay away from re-occuring services cuz they don't pay for what it's worth to do. Bid work is where it's at. Initial services, tenant occupied & brokers. If a property's for sale..call the broker... sell your company. There a manny dudes on here who will help you out.
But remember don't accept the work if you don't make any money at it...Profit isn't a dirty word.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
kingman said:

In all seriousness............... DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put all your income eggs in the P&P basket.
That is a good way to wake up one day with no income.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
BPWY said:
In all seriousness............... DO NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! put all your income eggs in the P&P basket.
That is a good way to wake up one day with no income.
Good avice...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice! I am maintaining 300 apartments and thought I could do better with property preservation jobs.. I am quickly learning that I need to hang on to my day job. There are lots of property preservation jobs but the pay is terrible.
I've only been doing this for 1 mo. so still learning the ropes of this game.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
kingman said:
Thanks for the advice! I am maintaining 300 apartments and thought I could do better with property preservation jobs.. I am quickly learning that I need to hang on to my day job. There are lots of property preservation jobs but the pay is terrible.
Good idea... I started doin this **** 16 years ago while doin estimating for enviro an demo outfits. If you do it right it'll mesh together...

·
Registered
847 Posts
kingman said:
Have you recieved a check from Asterisk yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
one check for a grass cut. I have done way more but they keep making excuses and say they want more photos.:mad:

·
Contractor
486 Posts
kingman said:
one check for a grass cut. I have done way more but they keep making excuses and say they want more photos.:mad:
I do 4 photo's for a grass cut... B4 leftfront & right rear & after same place... or vice-versa if I'm wearing shorts that day...

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
kingman said:

More than likely you aren't getting paid.

They know its impossible for you to produce more grass cut photos of that day at this late date.
Oldest tactic in the how to screw your P&P contractors 101 book.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You're right- Took me a month but I figured that out. Looks like I won't be wasting any more of my time doing this work.:mad::jester:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts