REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are all the servicing companies so worried about smoke detectors?? This is something that is BEYOND comprehension. If it goes off and the house is vacant, who hears it?? Mold can be growing on the walls but if the smoke detector is missing the world is going to end??? :lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
So true.

I guess they want the mold spores to know they are about to die.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think it was explained in another thread, it is based on local ordinances, and conveyence condition. Although, I just bought an REO which was maintained by SG, and it was one of the biggest hack jobs I have seen, no smoke detectors, hand rails feel over when I touched them, garage door would not open, etc. Inspector could not even inspect garage.:whistling2:

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

probably an insurance thing, as in if it burns down and they didn't have smoke detectors they don't get paid. Kind of like how we winterize burned down houses sometimes.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
I never hear a thing about them. We don't do sales cleans so we don't get the Carbon Monoxide tester, Smoke Detector complaints. We don't put out air fresheners or any of that other ridiculous crap either.

I have replaced many sump pumps and installed dehumidifiers in properties with no electricity over the years.

Why do I care? It pays the same either way.:thumbup:

·
Registered
681 Posts
I never hear a thing about them. We don't do sales cleans so we don't get the Carbon Monoxide tester, Smoke Detector complaints. We don't put out air fresheners or any of that other ridiculous crap either.

I have replaced many sump pumps and installed dehumidifiers in properties with no electricity over the years.

So true:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
It may have more to do with the loan type and possibly location. WI requires CO detectors to be installed in all rental properties and any property that has a permit pulled for electrical modification. Every VA loan I've done in the last year required smokes and CO installed to WI code on the initial service. Other loan types were 1 smoke and 1 CO per floor. Other types we bid the install.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily call it ridiculous crap. It's just a different stage in the process. Generally doing the hardcore preservation work on pre-sale/post-sale properties for HUD, then if you work on them getting ready for sale, you're doing things to make the property more attractive, in addition to preservation.

Sounds like you just do not do any REOs.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
Why are all the servicing companies so worried about smoke detectors?? This is something that is BEYOND comprehension. If it goes off and the house is vacant, who hears it?? Mold can be growing on the walls but if the smoke detector is missing the world is going to end??? :lol::lol:
MT
why would you ask such a question... you been in the game long enough to the "whys" an "what-fors"... NO questioning man... just "doing"...put'em in make a few bucks... I've learned not to cloud my head with the trivial Sh-t they ask for...

·
Registered
616 Posts
probably an insurance thing, as in if it burns down and they didn't have smoke detectors they don't get paid. Kind of like how we winterize burned down houses sometimes.
NAILED IT

I did a wint on a property and turned on the heat to 55. Next day I get a call from realtor it had a fire in the attic/ceiling (radient heat) and it was determined to be faulty wiring PHEW

Insurance adjuster called realtor and asked him about the smoke detectors, if they were functionig, and that was it for claim. They paid it and the house is being repaired !!

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily call it ridiculous crap. It's just a different stage in the process. Generally doing the hardcore preservation work on pre-sale/post-sale properties for HUD, then if you work on them getting ready for sale, you're doing things to make the property more attractive, in addition to preservation.

Sounds like you just do not do any REOs.
I do REO work it is not my primary focus but we do some. I REFUSE to work for flat fees, do sales cleans, or smoke detector air freshener crap. My clients do not require it and I will not take clients that do.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
You make zero dollars when doing it for regionals or nationals because of the awful pricing. You can make money doing it for locals.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You make zero dollars when doing it for regionals or nationals because of the awful pricing. You can make money doing it for locals.

WOW thats gotta be really bad pricing !! I make ~15 ea including detector and sales tax we have to pay! It takes ~ 10 min each and I have everything in a tool box except for the ladder to reach the ceiling and have even gone as far as to make a jig that makes the holes in one hammer swing. so that would be 75 an hour for using basic tools and I dont make single trips to install them I tell them while I am at the property I will do it but not a stand alone work order.

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

WOW thats gotta be really bad pricing !! I make ~15 ea including detector and sales tax we have to pay! It takes ~ 10 min each and I have everything in a tool box except for the ladder to reach the ceiling and have even gone as far as to make a jig that makes the holes in one hammer swing. so that would be 75 an hour for using basic tools and I dont make single trips to install them I tell them while I am at the property I will do it but not a stand alone work order.
I would say your being generous on the time, I would put it closer to 1 min per detector and carbon monoxide detector (some of our clients require these too) I do quite a bit of these so I have a toolbelt specifically designed to make it quick. Plus it helps to buy them in bulk (you can haggle menards down on price if you buy enough) and I unwrap them and put them in totes so all I have to do is grab and screw.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would say your being generous on the time, I would put it closer to 1 min per detector and carbon monoxide detector (some of our clients require these too) I do quite a bit of these so I have a toolbelt specifically designed to make it quick. Plus it helps to buy them in bulk (you can haggle menards down on price if you buy enough) and I unwrap them and put them in totes so all I have to do is grab and screw.
The 10 min includes total time, getting ladder out and back to truck taking pics ETC but it is more like 6 min if ya want to get to brasss tacks
Wich we had a menards here all we have is Home depot and bLowes

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

The 10 min includes total time, getting ladder out and back to truck taking pics ETC but it is more like 6 min if ya want to get to brasss tacks
Wich we had a menards here all we have is Home depot and bLowes
I misunderstood I thought you were saying it takes you 10minutes per smoke (as in an hour to do 6), and if you get the right person at lowes they will haggle with you as well. Lately I got them to match what I was paying and I like them better (only for smokes) because they sell a 6pack so I don't feel bad about throwing away a full bag of garbage for 6 smokes that are individually packed. Now if I could just find Carbon monixide detectors that aren't packaged in child proof packages.

About 3 years ago we had this plan to take a recipt in to lowes from menards and they beat it by 10% and then I took that receipt into Home depot and they beat it by 10%. Then take it back to Lowes and they will beat it again by 10%, rinse and repeat. Never got around to doing it though because I figured it was dishonest (and too much work)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just stick some duct tape on the back of em and stick em up on the wall, take a photo than take it down and do it again at the next property. If the bank ever asks why there not there I just say some realtor or other contractor must have stole them. Makes this job alot simpler!

·
Property Preservation
883 Posts
I just get some duct tape, stick it on the back of em, than stick it on the wall, take a photo and than take it down and do it again at the next property....if the bank ever asks where they went i just say some realtor or other contractor must have stole them...makes this job alot easier!
You're being facetious, right?

Linda

1 - 20 of 38 Posts