REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've been doing landscaping for a while now. I eventually started doing just grass cuts for Safeguard but they want me to move into the full PP portion of it. I have done a lot of reading. I know about all the pictures, sending them in, most guidelines, etc. I do have some questions though.

I'm sure many of these answers can be answered by some threads but hopefully we can get these all in one thread.

How are winterizations done?
Do I just pour Anti-freeze that I've bought into the pipes?
I've read about using an air compressor to blow air through the pipes as well.

Lock Changes & Board-ups.
I was offered from one of the companies a Home Depot credit card to use but obviously this isn't the case for the bigger companies. Are all of these always bought on your expense and do you profit off of them? Obviously you profit on the service, but on the supplies as well?

What did you wish you knew when you started?
What do you think I should know, what do you wish you knew when you began. What did you have to figure out yourself?

How do you handle places with no house numbers or street signs?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I have done a lot of reading.
Thanks in advanced!
Hi Backwell. Please, read some more. A lot more. Then contact your local area real estate agent and have them put you in contact with a good contractor doing REO/P&P. Work for them, under them, alongside them and do not leave them. I'm saying this for your benefit and to save you from ruin; you are not ready for this business and a company like Safeguard will tear the meat from your bones and leave you to die.
Again, stick around this forum, read and learn.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The first and most important thing in order to get work is to get your vendor ID number. Have you gotten this yet?

Hey guys, I've been doing landscaping for a while now. I eventually started doing just grass cuts for Safeguard but they want me to move into the full PP portion of it. I have done a lot of reading. I know about all the pictures, sending them in, most guidelines, etc. I do have some questions though.

I'm sure many of these answers can be answered by some threads but hopefully we can get these all in one thread.

I was offered from one of the companies a Home Depot credit card to use but obviously this isn't the case for the bigger companies. Are all of these always bought on your expense and do you profit off of them? Obviously you profit on the service, but on the supplies as well?

What do you think I should know, what do you wish you knew when you began. What did you have to figure out yourself?

Thanks in advanced!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts

Thanks in advanced!
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT do any wints! The chargebacks and plumbing damges that you will, and I repeat WILL be held liable for isn't worth it. You need to learn how to do them correctly. There is much more to it than "pour Anti-freeze that you bought into the pipes"

As far as locks go, don't waste your time at Home Depot, Menards. Lowes or your local hardware store. It takes too long to get them rekeyed to the correct keycode. I only stop there for really oddball key codes I don't stock. Yes they are bought at your expense and you don't "profit" from them. You will be given a set price and after subtracting the labor, material, overhead and PITA, then you get your profit. Some lock changes are loosers as you will drive 70 miles one way to find that the house is still occupied :censored:. Buy your locks online. There are threads in the forum with links to online lock companies.

What do I wish I knew when I started? I wish I knew how to avoid the P&P work and get directly to the repairs, hazard abatement, etc. As a licensed contractor, I'd rather replace roofs, repair vandalism, etc. It is far more profitable than mowing grass for Safeguard, or any regional, for that matter. Also, when I started, I wish I knew what I should have been making. HUD rates minus 20% can be a profitable grass cut. An MH landscaping $15 recut is not profitable, I don't care what anyone says.

By the way, I would avoid safeguard. I quit working for them over year ago. A regional I worked for, BACFS work, just started sending me SG stuff and I asked to be deactivated. SG is riduculous on their expectations for what they want to pay.......:whistling2:

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you give some examples of the things Safeguard requires that is ridiculous? Right now it's the main company I was going to work for because of the relationship a friend and his family has with the company. They have been there working with the owner of Safeguard since before Safeguard was even a company.

My friends family clears $700,000.00+ a year not counting expenses from Safeguard and every time I've spoken to my friend about it, he always talks about how important the pictures are. I'm sure it helps that one family member works in Safeguard sending the work orders and another runs a crew completing the work orders.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I really think its best to find a local P-P company and work hourly for them first. It will give you a real look. Supply's are a huge expense, I don't see how you can make money there unless you have a source of second hand stuff from another line of work. With a contractor back ground I have a barn full of misc stuff, even then its not that great. Its smart to recycle everything you come across.

If your equipment is paid for you might make some money, around here the work is too cheap, the yards are very rough and the debris are heavy. Lots of damage to plumbing and windows, bid work is where its at.

I think your better off getting the proper docs and insurance, then go after rehab work by hard bidding. Avoid the 24hr rush orders and crap, avoid the circus if you can and you will have less stress. Buy good equipment, good tools and don't get in a vicious circle of low pay and no life.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Unfortunately they've moved to a different state.

In that case the next best thing is to be a sub for them in your area.

Have them add your area to their coverage and they can help train you from their office.

This is not an industry that smiles favorably on the new guys. Heck it doesn't smile favorably on the experienced either.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not as if I don't know what I'm doing. I've been a contractor in construction for a while before switching to grass cuts for companies. I'm more curious about specifics to PP in general.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Never said you didn't know what you were doing when it comes to doing the work.

Dealing with the companies is unlike what you've dealt with in the past.
Their assinine rules, regs and charge backs for any and all excuses they can dream up.
Taking hundreds of photos for an initial secure or trash out for example.

Miss one photo on a wint and they'll not pay you for the entire order.
Or more likely to happen is they'll CLAIM you missed a photo when in fact they just decided that
you were the one to win the non payment lottery and "missed photo" is the excuse of the day.

Reactions: BRADSConst

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never said you didn't know what you were doing when it comes to doing the work.

Dealing with the companies is unlike what you've dealt with in the past.
Their assinine rules, regs and charge backs for any and all excuses they can dream up.
Taking hundreds of photos for an initial secure or trash out for example.

Miss one photo on a wint and they'll not pay you for the entire order.
Or more likely to happen is they'll CLAIM you missed a photo when in fact they just decided that
you were the one to win the non payment lottery and "missed photo" is the excuse of the day.
The unfortunate thing is I have indeed dealt with that :cry: .
Was dealing with the only local company and they were taking more than half of my check. I switched to a national and haven't had many problems. What would you recommend doing to make sure they don't mess around with your money?

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
What would you recommend doing to make sure they don't mess around with your money?

Sure fire??

Don't get in bed with them.

If thats not an option the second best is to plan for it so when it does happen its not so much as a shock.
If you are an extremely anal person about the details and read each w/o 3 times to make sure you've gotten every thing, read each of their memos multiple times and commit them fully to memory and then when you do your work follow the w/o and the memos to the T each and every time........... you'll likely have less problems.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
What would you recommend doing to make sure they don't mess around with your money?

IMHO, this is your biggest mistake assuming that its "your" money. Not is this business. Just ask them. The attitude is its "their" money and they will give it to you if they can't find a reason to keep it for themselves. Even then, months (or I hear in some cases years). Whamo! you get a chargeback :censored: and they take it out of jobs that they owe you for.

It doesn't matter how good you are. At some point in time, you will forget a photo, have a blurry photo, have a SD card crap out on you (this happened to me on a large trashout). Its times like that they live for so they can get "their" money back...:sad:

·
Registered
31 Posts
that about sums it up, say no more.!!!
IMHO, this is your biggest mistake assuming that its "your" money. Not is this business. Just ask them. The attitude is its "their" money and they will give it to you if they can't find a reason to keep it for themselves. Even then, months (or I hear in some cases years). Whamo! you get a chargeback :censored: and they take it out of jobs that they owe you for.

It doesn't matter how good you are. At some point in time, you will forget a photo, have a blurry photo, have a SD card crap out on you (this happened to me on a large trashout). Its times like that they live for so they can get "their" money back...:sad:

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you guys be interested in having my friend who works with Safeguard giving out the work orders and who accepts the photos etc post on here and answer questions?

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Would you guys be interested in having my friend who works with Safeguard giving out the work orders and who accepts the photos etc post on here and answer questions?

If it'll help some one avoid bogus charge backs .... sure.

·
Motivator
267 Posts
Oh man...talk about opening pandora's box! I can personally think of about 2 dozen questions that I'd love to fire off, problem is I already know the answers will be smoke 'n' mirrors.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts