REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone I just joined this forum to see if I can get some help and tips into the right direction. I've been doing a lot of research about starting a business like this. I'm in Michigan and so far from what I've researched is I don't need any kind of license so what I've done so far was set up and filed in a business name and filled out the forum for a LLC. Getting business cards made up.. So far I've been saving up money to cover my overhead for the first couple months. I have a really good digital cam, I have a f250 super duty and in the process of looking for a dump trailer... Is a dump trailer the way to go or would any good heavy duty trailer be good? I'm not looking to start off doing any kind of repairs even though I know thats probably where the money is at but just trying to start off slow and keep working my way up. I will be doing lawn, snow removal, lock changes, ect.

I appreciate any sort of input.

Thanks!

·
Registered
588 Posts
First, best of luck with your new business. I have been doing this for about 7 years now and am finally to where pp is only about 20 - 25% of our business.
First for the truck or trailer. I have had both but I personally prefer a box truck. I have always found that I can fit more on the 16' box truck which is equal to a 20 yd dumpster. Also it allows me to keep supplies and equipment in the rear and I use the front for debris.
I would try to get more business from realtors and private clients the pp business is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First, best of luck with your new business. I have been doing this for about 7 years now and am finally to where pp is only about 20 - 25% of our business.
First for the truck or trailer. I have had both but I personally prefer a box truck. I have always found that I can fit more on the 16' box truck which is equal to a 20 yd dumpster. Also it allows me to keep supplies and equipment in the rear and I use the front for debris.
I would try to get more business from realtors and private clients the pp business is not what it used to be.
Thank you. That was going to be another question of mine.. I was looking into box trucks since I've seen you can get them a lot cheaper then a dump trailer.. Just was in-between with the cost of the two in the long run as in maintenance wise. But that was my plan to go through realtors and private clients.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
After using landscaping and flat bed trailers for everything for years, I picked up a 20' cargo trailer last year and love it. I always seem to end up taking it now over everything else. Everything is contained so no tarping or debris falling off. 7500 lb axles good enough to transport vehicles and we recently cut down a 35'x100 lot of approx 250 maple saplings, and every single tree fit inside of the trailer. Only downside is the trucks burn more fuel with the wind drag.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After using landscaping and flat bed trailers for everything for years, I picked up a 20' cargo trailer last year and love it. I always seem to end up taking it now over everything else. Everything is contained so no tarping or debris falling off. 7500 lb axles good enough to transport vehicles and we recently cut down a 35'x100 lot of approx 250 maple saplings, and every single tree fit inside of the trailer. Only downside is the trucks burn more fuel with the wind drag.
Yeah I also been looking into enclose trailers.. Have any of you guys ever had to remove a car from a clean out before? I'm going to be getting a car trailer soon with a winch on it just because I'm into drag racing but figured the winch would come in handy if I ever came across having to remove a car or something heavy from a property..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The only thing I can't figure out or find is the whole bidding thing.. Do you just get ahold of a realtor and if they give you a place to look at do you just go take a look at it and then get back with them on how much you would charge to do the clean out and then they call you back if they accept your offer?

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
How do you empty a cargo trailer at the dump?

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Probably just removing it from the front and work your way back.. or some enclosed trailers have doors on the side so could probably get behind some things and push them out if possible.

That's alot of extra work!

The problem we have with dump trailers is they don't hold much volume. THey are great for weight but they are all too small in size. We rarely work within 30 minutes travel time from our dump so if we make 3 trips in a day that's 3 hours of driving plus the time at the dump. I prefer large car trailers with sides. I've used box trucks and there is too much climbing in and out and moving stuff to stack. I built a Spider for the front of each trailer and there is a chain attached to it. When we arrive at the dump they hook onto the chain with the loader and unload the trailer in seconds.

I can also take the sides off and load vehicles or heavy debris with a winch mounted on the front. I would like to design a trailer for our needs it would be useful. I've never seen a trailer set up perfectly for this business.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I should have gone into more detail. It isn't a primary tool for trashouts. I use it mainly for transporting materials. We tried it on the tree job by loading the trees into the trailer back to front. Most trees were 15'-18' and being maples, didn't need to trim many limbs off. I had planned on 4 16' utility trailer loads, this did it in one. It doesn't work for the guys that just like to toss everything into a trailer with no plan. If you bag and organize, then it works very well. I'll always have flat bed trailers for rock, vehicles, etc. It is a great vehicle for keeping goods out of the weather when doing construction/private work. This is a plan B trailer for preservation work, but a strong B.
And no, other than for roofing, I have little use for dump trailers.

Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I should have gone into more detail. It isn't a primary tool for trashouts. I use it mainly for transporting materials. We tried it on the tree job by loading the trees into the trailer back to front. Most trees were 15'-18' and being maples, didn't need to trim many limbs off. I had planned on 4 16' utility trailer loads, this did it in one. It doesn't work for the guys that just like to toss everything into a trailer with no plan. If you bag and organize, then it works very well. I'll always have flat bed trailers for rock, vehicles, etc. It is a great vehicle for keeping goods out of the weather when doing construction/private work. This is a plan B trailer for preservation work, but a strong B.

So what do you think the best trailer set up would be to start out with? I was thinking a car trailer but one I can put removal walls on but haven't found one yet.. I keep going with pros and con with them all but can't make up my mind on which one to go with.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts

Not a great picture, but you get the idea.

I have a trailer like that we use for windows and siding. It's also a nice place to get in out of the cold in the winter!

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
So what do you think the best trailer set up would be to start out with?
Since you are just starting out, the cheapest used 16' landscape trailer you can find. 2" ball and no bells or whistles. Use plywood to build up walls when you have a lot of garbage to move. You will beat your equipment to death for nationals. Cars can be towed off with a wrecker.
If you make it 6 months in this business, then you can build on what you have. If not, you can sell the trailer and get you money back out of it.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I have a trailer like that we use for windows and siding. It's also a nice place to get in out of the cold in the winter!
Yep, construction goods don't walk away so easily and the interior can be used to sleep, eat, change clothes and pizz (into a bucket) in. That one is wired with led lighting inside and we keep gennies and pumps, etc on board for quick delivery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If there is a car on the lot are you allowed to keep it and part it out if there are good parts on it? Either way I'm going to have a trailer that can haul a car with a winch so i think my best bet would be to find one where i can put removal walls on.. And with the bidding do I just get ahold of a realtors and if they give me a place do I just go and look at it then give them a price ?

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
If there is a car on the lot are you allowed to keep it and part it out if there are good parts on it? Either way I'm going to have a trailer that can haul a car with a winch so i think my best bet would be to find one where i can put removal walls on.. And with the bidding do I just get ahold of a realtors and if they give me a place do I just go and look at it then give them a price ?
Essentially yes. I hope it is that easy for you. Good luck:thumbup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
dump trailers all the way

I would never use a flat trailer did it for 2 years.. wasted too much time. bought a 20ft dump tailer 6ft wall.. pretty much a mobile 30yr dump.. I also have 2 16ft dumps that I use on smaller days.. but the 20footer I can use for 2-3 houses.. save 13k but yourself a nice dump and build up the walls. with steps on the side to get to the top to tarp etc. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
I would never use a flat trailer did it for 2 years.. wasted too much time. bought a 20ft dump tailer 6ft wall.. pretty much a mobile 30yr dump.. I also have 2 16ft dumps that I use on smaller days.. but the 20footer I can use for 2-3 houses.. save 13k but yourself a nice dump and build up the walls. with steps on the side to get to the top to tarp etc. :thumbup:
That is a nice set up! I am jealous!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts