REO Property Preservation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

So what do you think the best trailer set up would be to start out with? I was thinking a car trailer but one I can put removal walls on but haven't found one yet.. I keep going with pros and con with them all but can't make up my mind on which one to go with.
Honestly I wouldn't dream of operating without a dump trailer. What do you plan on doing when you get a house with 10 cyd's of clothing? Bag it up? Unload it by the armfull? I haven't unloaded a trailer by hand in many years but I would guess you will spent at least 20-30 minutes unloading a 14' trailer by hand. This gets nasty depending on what you threw in there. Whereas it takes me less then 5 to dump it.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Honestly I wouldn't dream of operating without a dump trailer. What do you plan on doing when you get a house with 10 cyd's of clothing? Bag it up? Unload it by the armfull? I haven't unloaded a trailer by hand in many years but I would guess you will spent at least 20-30 minutes unloading a 14' trailer by hand. This gets nasty depending on what you threw in there. Whereas it takes me less then 5 to dump it.

We own a dump trailer and never use it. Sides on the car trailers give us more space to fill than the dump trailer will hold. Also many of the dumps we have to uise in rural areas are transfer stations and have low rafters.

We have the loader driver hook onto our chain and back up, The trailer unloads in seconds. The other nice thing about car trailers is we have 12,000 winches on all of them. We can pull trees, abandoned vehicles whatever up into the trailer. Can't do that with a dump trailer.

EZdayman has a great dump set up though. I have never seen a trailer that big locally. I have been doing some research though it looks like I can get one pretty easily.

·
How I wanna be a PP Pro
1,103 Posts
Dump trailer. 14-16' with extended steel mesh sides. You can load the car on it if you want, skid loader and THEY HOLD THEIR VALUE. Enclosed trailer? Been there done that. Ask landfill to put a chain on and pull the debris off...forget it--to much liability and 99.9% will say no. Car hauler/flatbed? I hate throwing trash twice!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Dump here has a giant tree trunk for everyone to tie off to pull out there loads. We loop a steel cable through a trailer tire rim around a steel post and then to a 20' chain. The tire & post get set up in the front of the trailer and the chain goes on the floor out the back of the trailer. Takes less time than a dump trailer to unload.

We had a dump trailer. Holds less than half my 16' trailer. Don't miss it.

Concrete we can dump for free at one landfill.

All clothes go to a local church that separates and cleans them and gives them to needy families.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Its definitely a personal preference in what you want and how you plan to operate your own business. There is pros and cons for everything. We have used box trucks, bread trucks, Hino 20ft box commercial trucks, open trailers of all sizes, a few dump trailers, and a handful of enclosed... they all work great and have disadvantages too. Do you have nice equipment that you want to keep out of the weather and limited on garage space? Get an enclosed trailer. Do you plan to scrap? Get an open trailer or dump....Do you plan on saving as much time as possible or keep as much money in your wallet? Go with an open utility or dump. Quite honestly it also comes down to your work load for the day too. You would not want to drive around a 20ft commercial or 16ft box with a light work day burnin diesel, better off with a small work truck with trailer if ya need it. but you have EVERYTHING you need with those. So far the best versatile setup ive seen is a box truck, 16ft is the smallest you would want to go, with a trailer hitch so you can tow either a enclosed or open. the ONLY reason for enclosed is to lock up and protect equipment. if thats not a worry for you, open is the way to go. Dumps are great for when you come across concrete, shingles, C&D material etc... its a bi**h to yank off with a chain or cable on utility. BUT if you have the money for a decent size one, like goose neck with tandem axles, oh yeah those are sweet! Easydayman knows what im talking about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This was our setup. Forget closed trailers, they are such a pain to load/unload. We had the truck, a 12' single axle, and a 16' dual axle for larger jobs. On the truck, we used a metal bunk bed frame as the gate on over sized hinges.:thumbsup:

The only thing better is a dump trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 14' dump trailer holds 15cy to the top of the sides, mattress' and couches go above that as "toppers", holds roughly 20cy. I can get from the scales, dumped and back to the scales in less than 10 minutes.

Many people use 16' landscape trailers with 4' sides, cheap way to go but I've also hauled away 3 of these setups over the years that someone just "parked" and walked away from. As for the dump hooking to your chain and puling the load out - I wouldn't count on that -- you have to kiss some big butt for that around here. The heck with that loading and unloading by hand - our dump trailer paid for itself in maybe four months, but them again, we were working.

A great thing is the Izuzu or whatever cab overs with 16-20' dump beds, siderails are too tall to dump a trash can over - a guy here in MI had three of them - oh yea, he's bankrupt and owes me three grand.

The dreams of glamour and riches in this business are gone dude. Here in Michigan, full time million dollar a year companies are closed. Is there work still happening, oh yea, but the people doing the real $$ work have been at this for many years, they deal direct and they get it done. When you start working third or fourth hand, you are working for peanuts and could make more actual money flying a sign on a good street corner.

I quit last year and should have walked away sooner - the money I made helped me build what I have now, but what I also have now is right at $100,000.00 in work completed and I'll never see a dime of it.

Unless you have some super major in with someone, what false pipe dreams of workloads has someone lead you to believe?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Oh yea - just looked at that single and dual axle trailer pic above - those are both probably illegal here in MI - you need fenders. MI commercial vehicle enforcement would love to waste a hour of their time.

Hauling cars away from vacant properties in MI, that's illegal too, unless you are registered with the state as a "caretaker" if I remember the wording correctly. Anything titled is personal property that has to go thru the state hoops of notifying the owner of where its at. Towing companies (any I've dealt with) are the ones that handle cars, quads, boats etc after the local PD has filled their report out - and you pay them to haul it away.....

Licensed? Don't do a roof patch or anything construction related for more than $600, you need some form of builders license in MI.

·
Registered
580 Posts
This was our setup. Forget closed trailers, they are such a pain to load/unload. We had the truck, a 12' single axle, and a 16' dual axle for larger jobs. On the truck, we used a metal bunk bed frame as the gate on over sized hinges.:thumbsup:

The only thing better is a dump trailer.
That is a craigslist death trap trailer if I ever saw one.

·
Low quality low cost
2,340 Posts
Like I said we have a dump trailer it's just not big enough to do most of our jobs. Those big trailers cost 15k or more and we can buy the car trailers for $1,800 all day here. All of our dumps pull the debris off for us so we never handle debris twice.

We only do maybe 7 debris removals a month. We are not crazy about trash outs. Often times they come with a sales clean and we don't do sales cleans.

·
Registered
163 Posts
We purchased this 16ft for just over $1k....its been really good to us in putting up with sh**. We used the wood sides for hauling junk, and take them down when were cutting grass. Its nice to "collapse" your trailer, then it become less wind resistant. The more versatile you are the better, I think anyways. We put a wood deck sealant on top to increase longevity of the trailer, and used the spray can bed liner on the frame...really doubles the life on these things. Would like to put a winch up front for heavier stuff.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
We purchased this 16ft for just over $1k....its been really good to us in putting up with sh**.
The dump trailer vs x trailer is a lot like Dodge vs Chevy, etc. Whatever works for you is the right trailer.
That 16" tandem axle is a meat and potatoes trailer and probably the most versatile of them all. As I said before, they are a low level investment with little risk of losing your money in them.

·
Registered
580 Posts
We purchased this 16ft for just over $1k....its been really good to us in putting up with sh**. We used the wood sides for hauling junk, and take them down when were cutting grass. Its nice to "collapse" your trailer, then it become less wind resistant. The more versatile you are the better, I think anyways. We put a wood deck sealant on top to increase longevity of the trailer, and used the spray can bed liner on the frame...really doubles the life on these things. Would like to put a winch up front for heavier stuff.
Its nice to see someone else rolling around with a Dixie Chopper!!!!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Its nice to see someone else rolling around with a Dixie Chopper!!!!!!!
I love the machine, it does not play well with over grown grass, and small saplings, it will eat it up! It also provides us a good quality cut too considering its more like a bush hog then like a scag. That one on the trailer is a Classic 2760 with a Generac engine. We tried to run xblades on it and the PTO clutch does not like the extra weight, so we keep it to single blades. Here are some cut examples.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
My husband has 4 different trailers. Two landscape ones 14' and 16', 20' dump, and 20' car trailer. Plus he has an EZ dump on one of the pick-ups. All of them come in so handy.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Next time you remove a dog kennel use the panels instead of plywood. cheaper and less drag.

·
Registered
588 Posts
This is our trailer, 16'. It is good for debris (equals 15 yards). It is also good for all of our equipment. The only thing is if we know we are only doing grass cuts in the city then we just out the equipment on the back of the truck. Trailers are a pain to park in the city.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 47 Posts