REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
We have always stressed gloves, respirators, body suits, etc, with new guys when going into properties. Some of them shrug it off like they are invincible. We have seen staph infections, lung ailments, lice, fleas, rat bites, etc. It really is not worth the money.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Which brings up a hypothetical situation, guy goes into a house with A. mold B. mice/animal feces C. ?? and gets sick from one of the above, and wasn't wearing PPE(maybe it was encouraged/required, maybe it wasn't).

Would workers comp cover something like that? I would assume so, but thought I'd ask for you more expert insurance guys out there.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
SwiftRes said:
Which brings up a hypothetical situation, guy goes into a house with A. mold B. mice/animal feces C. ?? and gets sick from one of the above, and wasn't wearing PPE(maybe it was encouraged/required, maybe it wasn't).

Would workers comp cover something like that? I would assume so, but thought I'd ask for you more expert insurance guys out there.
They'd have to if they're covered under it I believe but you could possibly charged with negligence in sending them in. I'm not a pro but Fremont might be able to help.

G

·
SwiftRes said:

Its covered if proper OSHA guidelines are followed. MOLD maybe but it may be a fight since if you aren't rated for hazmat on the work comp policy and your on a job site they may say the property owner is liable and if you signed a "waiver of subrogation" (which most P&P Service Company contracts include) then you would probably be S.O.L.

Mice/Animal may be a little different since unlike mold its not "in the air naturally". I know a Nebraska guy that was hospitalized for nearly 6 months in oxygen tents and ICU/Sterile Rooms and Work Comp did not pay.

Basically a crap shoot unless you are rated for that type of work.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
They do get sick. Some blame the house over their lifestyle. Others just moved out and on and they don't know how. Kind of like all the folks that died 150 years ago from "natural causes".

G

·
Those are nasty situations. When I was still an employee, I was forced to work in a house like that.. I'll spare the details but it was the first time I ever puked and cried at the same time :sick:

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
AmeliaP said:
How is it that the homeowner never got it?

According to a neighbor no cleaning was done there to kick the spores up into the air to be breathed.

Of course Matt would post an article like this on the day I bid a trash out.
Its been a few months since I've done one thanks to my other better paying work.

G

·
AmeliaP said:
How is it that the homeowner never got it?
Long term elevated exposure immunity.

Over time small doses increase and as they do ones immunity does as well.

As opposed to someone who has not been living in such conditions then suddenly the immune system is bombarded with no prior exposure time to have built a resistance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ever since I broke off a cloud of dried feces dust and inhaled it while cleaning a toilet that squatters had been using for a year with no water, (a solid mass of it 8 inches thick) I always, always ALWAYS wear a mask.

ugh!

G

·
BigMonkey said:
Ever since I broke off a cloud of dried feces dust and inhaled it while cleaning a toilet that squatters had been using for a year with no water, (a solid mass of it 8 inches thick) I always, always ALWAYS wear a mask.

ugh!
That sounds like the start to a marvel story where you get super powers. Did you get super powers?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts