REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on the Toro Proline walk behinds? Might take a road trip and pick up a couple, one is a hydro 52'' and the other a belt drive 52''. Both have 16 H.P. briggs. Both need some work so they can be had for a good price--

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Any opinions on the Toro Proline walk behinds? Might take a road trip and pick up a couple, one is a hydro 52'' and the other a belt drive 52''. Both have 16 H.P. briggs. Both need some work so they can be had for a good price--
I have a Toro Proline 36. I picked up for fenced backyards. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. My only complaints are the belts pick up small stones which wear and tear holes in them, and the damn engineers were retarded when they designed the "T" bar drive control. For me, its natural to grab the safety and go. Problem is these damn yards are so rough that you beat the crap out of your :censored: knuckles on the bar behind it. I got mine used so maybe they fixed that on the newer models.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leaving way before the sun comes up tomorrow to go take a look/make an offer.
Since its off season I am hoping to make a deal:thumbsup:

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

I have a Toro Proline 36. I picked up for fenced backyards. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it. My only complaints are the belts pick up small stones which wear and tear holes in them, and the damn engineers were retarded when they designed the "T" bar drive control. For me, its natural to grab the safety and go. Problem is these damn yards are so rough that you beat the crap out of your :censored: knuckles on the bar behind it. I got mine used so maybe they fixed that on the newer models.

On a lot of my mowers I use electric motor belts, they are only about 3/4 as good but they cost about 1/10 as much so I just keep a few in the tuck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So did you make a deal?

I bought the 52'' Hydro--needs a oil seal, a good cleaning and a once over but I paid WAY less than the asking price. Once repaired and with reg maintenance I should get a few years out of it.

The belt drive model was too beat up for what the guy wanted and from what I hear pulling a sulkey is hard on the belt drive train--so I stayed away from this one.

Now I need to find the time to get it ready for grass 2013!

·
Registered
256 Posts
re

Your JD's are belt drive???
No the JD is hydro, and I'm actually on my first belt for the blades (2 seasons), but I have a Airens walk behind that chews them and and old yard master that I loan out to guys sometimes.

On a side note does anyone have an airens 34 walk behind, I picked it up cheap at the beginning of the season but I'm thinking about dumping it because its too damn slow. It basically moves at a comfortable walk, I bought it to use for those weird spots you cant get a rider but I can do them faster running behind my push. Is there a way to speed it up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts