REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so every time we go on a trash out our tarps end up ripped somewhere. I mounted a bar to the front of the trailer with a handle to roll it up on when done. I also drilled holes that lined up with the grommets on the sides of the top steel frame and bought some clasps to be able to easily attach and take off. I worked great! However, That was just a cheap $20 tarp and the grommet holes where torn by the time we got home. What's the best material tarp to use that isn't too heavy and bulky but strong and will allow air to pass through so we don't have the whole hot air balloon effect when our load is not extremely packed full? I was thinking I wanted the mesh ones with vinyl coating? I'm tired of buying a new tarp every day!

Also, anyone have a winch mounted on the front of their trailer to pull in the big heavy stuff, how does that work out? Our last trip consisted of a fiberglass coated wooden boat that did not want to come apart well and the last piece killed me trying to push it in.

·
Banned
232 Posts
Hey guys, so every time we go on a trash out our tarps end up ripped somewhere. I mounted a bar to the front of the trailer with a handle to roll it up on when done. I also drilled holes that lined up with the grommets on the sides of the top steel frame and bought some clasps to be able to easily attach and take off. I worked great! However, That was just a cheap $20 tarp and the grommet holes where torn by the time we got home. What's the best material tarp to use that isn't too heavy and bulky but strong and will allow air to pass through so we don't have the whole hot air balloon effect when our load is not extremely packed full? I was thinking I wanted the mesh ones with vinyl coating? I'm tired of buying a new tarp every day!

Also, anyone have a winch mounted on the front of their trailer to pull in the big heavy stuff, how does that work out? Our last trip consisted of a fiberglass coated wooden boat that did not want to come apart well and the last piece killed me trying to push it in.
We get our tarps from a local company that makes tarps for the big trucks.They cost a bit more but we have few we have been using for about 3 years

·
Registered
74 Posts
I acquired a few large billboard covers from a boat dealership that was going under a few years back. Strong, durable and UV resistant but also heavy. I have used these for many purposes including one I cut, hemmed and grommetted for my 5'x12' trailer.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Canvas tarps will just rip and catch wind. You need a trailer tarp from a place that sells trailers. They run between $100-$200 depending on size and they are basically a heavy duty mesh and will last years. I have them on both my trailers and the oldest one is about 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Make sure you use heavy duty rubber straps and even distribute the straps. Put your regular heavy straps on on top of the trampoline cover and you should be ready to roll.

Irnhrse touched on the secret. Even for your $20 tarps.

Go ahead and pull the tarp over the load and bungee it. THEN throw enough ratchet straps OVER the TOP of the tarp to keep it from flapping in the wind.
Even with the heavy canvas tarps for long haul trucking the wind will destroy those tarps in no time flat with out doing this.

Notice I didn't say how many straps to use, just "enough to keep it from flapping".

The number will depend on the length of your trailer and current weather conditions.
If you are driving against a headwind or sidewind you can and will need more straps.

This method will get you a couple months out of even a $20 tarp. I cannot stress enough that flapping in the wind will kill them.
Sure they'll do some fluttering but the whip cord snapping in the wind will do them in, every single time!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Irnhrse touched on the secret. Even for your $20 tarps.

Go ahead and pull the tarp over the load and bungee it. THEN throw enough ratchet straps OVER the TOP of the tarp to keep it from flapping in the wind.
Even with the heavy canvas tarps for long haul trucking the wind will destroy those tarps in no time flat with out doing this.

Notice I didn't say how many straps to use, just "enough to keep it from flapping".

The number will depend on the length of your trailer and current weather conditions.
If you are driving against a headwind or sidewind you can and will need more straps.

This method will get you a couple months out of even a $20 tarp. I cannot stress enough that flapping in the wind will kill them.
Sure they'll do some fluttering but the whip cord snapping in the wind will do them in, every single time!
Use nothing but mesh tarps!

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have been using the same two $5 big Lots tarps for about six months now. I had to wire them together at the grommet holes to make one 16" x 6' tarp.

I honestly did not think they would last beyond a few loads, but I have used them for a lot of stuff.

I tied two ropes about 2' long to the two front corner grommets and use bungees on the back and sides. I just fold it up after each load and shove it under the truck box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.