REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my name is James and I am the owner of J.L.Givens & Sons PP, based out of Nahunta, Ga. I am knew to this site, but am not knew to the PP field. My question is, out of all of these PP companies to choose from to be a vendor for, who are the best ones and who are the ones to avoid. I've done mostly work through private REO's, and work has slowed down, I am looking for something to help me get through the winter months coming up. Any and all info you give me will be greatly Appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've gotten calls from 5 Bro, Universal Property Preservation, Southeastern Asset Services, Omni PP, Field Asset Services and a few others, who would you recommend I go further in talks with? Would you recommend I try to negotiate a deal on profit sharing, or just except what they offer.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
My list of the who's who of good companies will bring several responses from people who had bad experiences with them. Guy has great experience with FAS in NJ and another one is putting liens out for money owed by them ny FAS in Nebraska.
You need to check their price lists, photo requirements, deadlines, coverage area, etc and see if it works for you. If you can't do it the way they want, tell them what it will take, and they will use you or they won't.
No different than the private sector really. You can work to be busy or you can work to make money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTX63 said:
My list of the who's who of good companies will bring several responses from people who had bad experiences with them. Guy has great experience with FAS in NJ and another one is putting liens out for money owed by them ny FAS in Nebraska.
You need to check their price lists, photo requirements, deadlines, coverage area, etc and see if it works for you. If you can't do it the way they want, tell them what it will take, and they will use you or they won't.
No different than the private sector really. You can work to be busy or you can work to make money.

Of course in the real world you can't have your cake and eat it too. thank you for your reply

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GTX63 said:
my response didn't come out right, i do apologize. I'd much rather work to make money. I've read a few of them's so called price list and most of them quote HUD, and I know that ain't what they are paying based off what i have read on a few other threads on here.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
After having been kicked in the head by these clowns enough over the years, I learned the game.
Example:Five Brothers wanted us to do an initial secure for about $40 for one lock, plus the 100+ photos and inspection. Property was 70 miles one way from the office. Said we could do it for them with a 24 hour turn around for $150, no discount. Nope, can't do it.
Three weeks later they call and ask us to go out there because the contractor they used put a lockbox on and used a keycode with unknown combinations.
Bottom line is you have to run your business your way. If you can make a profit, good for you. Don't give a national a break for their promise.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GTX63 said:
After having been kicked in the head by these clowns enough over the years, I learned the game.
Example:Five Brothers wanted us to do an initial secure for about $40 for one lock, plus the 100+ photos and inspection. Property was 70 miles one way from the office. Said we could do it for them with a 24 hour turn around for $150, no discount. Nope, can't do it.
Three weeks later they call and ask us to go out there because the contractor they used put a lockbox on and used a keycode with unknown combinations.
Bottom line is you have to run your business your way. If you can make a profit, good for you. Don't give a national a break for their promise.
Thank you for your input on 5 brothers, that pretty much helps me eliminate them from my choice, I know most of you will say it is souly based on my own experience with whom ever i choose, but truth be told...if you polish a turd, guess what...it's still a turd

·
Contractor
486 Posts
GTX63 said:
Here...Here.... WIth the Nationals....the majority of them... when your contacted, one individual will promise you the world... then when your into them... Oh so & so doesn't work here anymore, and they weren't "authorized" to offer you that deal.
Get it all in writing... With HUD prices less discount you can make a buck. It's the BS an nit-picking after the work is done an yuo've submitted your WO an pics... Answer to the fella's quote--Trust no-one it's business.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JFMURFY said:
Here...Here.... WIth the Nationals....the majority of them... when your contacted, one individual will promise you the world... then when your into them... Oh so & so doesn't work here anymore, and they weren't "authorized" to offer you that deal.
Get it all in writing... With HUD prices less discount you can make a buck. It's the BS an nit-picking after the work is done an yuo've submitted your WO an pics... Answer to the fella's quote--Trust no-one it's business.
I have learned in this business, much like others...if it ain't in writing it never happened. Today a persons word ain't worth spit. Even in the small podunk town I live in that no one on this form has ever heard of....lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GTX63 said:
Yeah, I guess you are in the sticks.
Yes sir, but it works for me...I did a first cut lawn on a property in brunswick, Ga. the other day....measured 11,000 sqft. I charged 125 initial and 75 recut. every 2 weeks as required by Ga. codes for maintained properties, this is mow, weedeat, blow, edge and trim 4 hedges. is this a good price. Or did i short change myself somewhere. I got the bid, but just get that feeling i am shooting myself in the foot. Because down the road they might have another one come up, same size with more hedges or more stuff to weedeat around, and expect the same price.

·
Registered
236 Posts
jlgivensandsons said:
Yes sir, but it works for me...I did a first cut lawn on a property in brunswick, Ga. the other day....measured 11,000 sqft. I charged 125 initial and 75 recut. every 2 weeks as required by Ga. codes for maintained properties, this is mow, weedeat, blow, edge and trim 4 hedges. is this a good price. Or did i short change myself somewhere. I got the bid, but just get that feeling i am shooting myself in the foot. Because down the road they might have another one come up, same size with more hedges or more stuff to weedeat around, and expect the same price.
Just charge what you worth - don't care what other person charge, it is your business and how much does it cost you to do the job and make a decent profit.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
jlgivensandsons said:
I have learned in this business, much like others...if it ain't in writing it never happened. Today a persons word ain't worth spit. Even in the small podunk town I live in that no one on this form has ever heard of....lol
If you live in the sticks. 5 bros can be good. Because of the location you cover and live in, you set your pricing. Same with FAS.

G

·
thanohano44 said:
If you live in the sticks. 5 bros can be good. Because of the location you cover and live in, you set your pricing. Same with FAS.
I agree. The fab 5 can be good for those willing to cover those hard to reach areas. Just be mindful that there will be headaches that accompany it. Learn to never respond in haste or anger, let the dust settle and reply professionally and more often than not you get more flies with honey. That is advice I wish I had gotten many many years ago when dealing with the cubicle minds, it may have helped me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
P3+ said:
I agree. The fab 5 can be good for those willing to cover those hard to reach areas. Just be mindful that there will be headaches that accompany it. Learn to never respond in haste or anger, let the dust settle and reply professionally and more often than not you get more flies with honey. That is advice I wish I had gotten many many years ago when dealing with the cubicle minds, it may have helped me.
Thank you all for the info, 5 bros contacted me this morning and asked if i could cover a 10 county area, since where i am located is centrally located in the middle, and it would be a 35 mile ride one way to the furthest county which is Appling County. Do any of you think I should do this? Please any and all info will be greatly Appreciated.

·
Contractor
486 Posts
jlgivensandsons said:
Thank you all for the info, 5 bros contacted me this morning and asked if i could cover a 10 county area, since where i am located is centrally located in the middle, and it would be a 35 mile ride one way to the furthest county which is Appling County. Do any of you think I should do this? Please any and all info will be greatly Appreciated.
Five Bros ...doing inspections for them (thru there new company Summit). I do alittle P&P work for them... Stick to the 20% discount on the HUD rates...

If you can, write to them, that you want 1 and only 1 point of contact.

Otherwise you WILL be bombarded with emails on the same grasscut.
Take more than your share of photo's. & follow-up each phone conversation with an email to document the conversation.
I've had more than 20 N/C reversed as the documentation proved our point.
Good luck ...

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
You can avoid some of the discounts if they consider you a one timer or probationary contractor. It is after you sign up as the go to guy that that start in with their 20% take.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JFMURFY said:
Five Bros ...doing inspections for them (thru there new company Summit). I do alittle P&P work for them... Stick to the 20% discount on the HUD rates...

If you can, write to them, that you want 1 and only 1 point of contact.

Otherwise you WILL be bombarded with emails on the same grasscut.
Take more than your share of photo's. & follow-up each phone conversation with an email to document the conversation.
I've had more than 20 N/C reversed as the documentation proved our point.
Good luck ...
Thanks for the info, this is the kind of info that will help me make better business decision in the future, when dealing with these companies. Thank you to everyone in advance for your info. I'm not knew to the business, just knew to dealing with a PP company, and just want to make sure I make the best choices.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
jlgivensandsons said:

35 miles???????????? Is that all??????????????

Dang, that won't get me any where near out of my county.

Covering 10 counties should keep you plenty busy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
jlgivensandsons said:
Based on the numerous readings on here of the bros I sure as hell would not. If you feel you can do it and are willing to take the risk why not it is part of business. Personally though I would never do any work for them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.