REO Property Preservation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few 40cy / 70 cy bids but just looked up a property I did a bid on and it is not the 3 acres I bid on but actually 40 acres of rural dumping lands. Probably 200cubes. Would they ever approve that? The house isn't worth anything imo but the land is.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have a few 40cy / 70 cy bids but just looked up a property I did a bid on and it is not the 3 acres I bid on but actually 40 acres of rural dumping lands. Probably 200cubes. Would they ever approve that? The house isn't worth anything imo but the land is.
Cover your azz on that. It is my personal experience that the larger the CYD becomes, the more likely there is for invoice adjustments. When you're over 200 CYD, what's a 20 CYD adjustment right? :sad: I told an ex client that I'd never do a trashout over 60 CYD because I couldn't afford a 40 CYD invoice adjustment 60 days down the road.

The one rural property I had like that, I had an excavation company give me a bid. I took their bid, NO CYD listed, just complete job and marked up and turned it in. Went round and round "we need a CYD amount". I said bullchit, turn it into HUD as an over allowable and get it approved. I would have lost my azz because I new damn well they were going to dock the invoice long after I paid my excavator. I did end up turning in a lien waiver and a receipt showing paid in full but i whited out the amount that I paid. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I personally did a 350 yarder 2 weeks before my wedding in 2010. Never got docked a dime and knock it out with a skid steer with a grapple bucket. It was quite fun for the first day.... But by the 2nd I was whooped

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
I would not do anything for a national over 50 cyds without preapproval in writing. We were getting the recount nonsense 3-4 years ago when the industry was still in high gear. Rural trashouts almost are always loaded with tires, paint, plenty of hazards. Local jobs, never a problem.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I get bids from a local demolition company for jobs like that. They roll in a crew with skid steers, front end loaders, dump trucks, whatever they need. They have it all and they are used to dealing with large volumes of debris on short time tables.

I add my percentage on top and some to cover what I know they will try and cut me before we agree on a price and that is my bid. No CY count, just a price.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I Agree with BRAD and MTMTman. The two things to do are get a solid approval in writing, and maintain contact with the broker. Offer them a bid. That has worked for us as well. The brokers don't (or rarely) tack on more for themslves, so your bid through them is already going to be 20%- 30% lower from the perspective of the client.

·
Business Consultant
Media, Investigative Journalism, Business Consultant
1,431 Posts
When in doubt...ALWAYS get it in writing....

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I did a 400 yarder a year ago on 1 acres. Bid it through the national and gave the same bid to the broker as Fannie wanted 2 bids. Got the approval through the broker.....
I bet you had to take less pictures, didn't get a chargeback and probably got paid faster too........

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts

200 cubes?? Is that all?????

If its spread out across the acreage I'd do like the other guys are saying and bid it as a clean up, forget cubes.
I'd base my bid on approx $50 per cube. Depending on the type of debris you may need to adjust +/- from there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have done a couple of huge removals. When they are over 70
Cyds or when they are scattered I bid by the job and not the cyd.
I had one that was about 75 cyds interior and exterior and i bid it for
$2900 and got it back. At the time I had 6 guys working for me but i only 2 big trailers so I rented a 24' uhaul and loaded all of the non nasty stuff up
And still took 8 trailer loads with it. We got it done in just under two days.
I did another one with 70 cyds but all big stuff mostly and alot of nasty stuff in the back yard but it wasnt scattered just piled up. I had 5 guys but my wife had
Watched my two nieces for a month during the summer so my brother owed me.
Him and his wife came so that made it seven people and we got it done in one day with a 7 x 14, 6 x 16 and and 6 x 12 uhaul trailer. I charged $2500 on that
One and walked away with $1500 after labor, dump, and fuel fees.

I did one that was about 60 cyds but was all trash out sode and was
Scattered so i rented a bob cat and two dump trailers and went to town.
I only had me and another guy on that one. Took us 3 days but i cut and
Removed three fallen trees, a maid service, and seeded the front yard.
I charged $4800 for that job and walked away with $3300 after everything.

There was about 3500 tires at the same house and all of them in a ravine.
I bid $21000 and had a guy that would take them (for recycling) if I could
Getthem there about 1 hour away. It would have taken us weeks to get
Those tires out because they were all dumped down there with no wAy to
Get to them except rig up a pulley and 300' of wire and winch them out.

I am glad i didnt get that bid. It was an reo and they tried selling it
As is for $10000 it had five acres but the house was a goner. Ill dig
Up the pictures qnd post some if i can find them. It was wild seeing
That many tires.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I am lucky with the dump guys here. I paid $155 and get unlimited dumping. No questions asked. Just no metal and no construction debris that you can't carry by hand in one trip. How come 75 cyds took you 8 uhaul trips? They're like 24' by 4ft min. Worse case you could get about 45Cyds in the back right? The last story is like this how. House is absolutely horrible but the 40 acres isn't bad just littered.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess I am lucky with the dump guys here. I paid $155 and get unlimited dumping. No questions asked. Just no metal and no construction debris that you can't carry by hand in one trip. How come 75 cyds took you 8 uhaul trips? They're like 24' by 4ft min. Worse case you could get about 45Cyds in the back right? The last story is like this how. House is absolutely horrible but the 40 acres isn't bad just littered.

we put all of the big stuff in the uhaul and then had to bag up the trash outside. If you bring the uhaul back dirty they charge you an arm and a leg. You do not actually get that many cyds in the back because I do not compress anything. We stack it the best as possible and go on. We used 108 husky contractor bags for the garbage in the back yard. We only used the uhaul one day and then my trailers the other day.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
On those tires.................... brother you are looking at a night mare unless you bid that right!!!!!

I would bid that crazy high and make them give you 50% down. Other wise no deal!!!!!!
A job like this could put you out of business if done wrong!

What you do upon winning the bid is rent a semi van trailer, load it up and haul it to the middle of nowhere and abandon it. lol, just kidding

Bid it high and hope you get it.

Reactions: Zoly

·
Registered
67 Posts
On those tires.................... brother you are looking at a night mare unless you bid that right!!!!!

I would bid that crazy high and make them give you 50% down. Other wise no deal!!!!!!
A job like this could put you out of business if done wrong!

What you do upon winning the bid is rent a semi van trailer, load it up and haul it to the middle of nowhere and abandon it. lol, just kidding

Bid it high and hope you get it.

That property was over a year ago and no one got the bid. The HOA liened the property so they couldnt sell it. To this day it still sits there vacant. The HOA called the EPA and got them involved. Do not know what happened after that but apparently nothing because they are still there.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yeah I could never do that or any job like that by the cube. That is not something that you can just go in and pick up, put it on a trailer and go. Those jobs are strictly bid as clean ups and by the job only.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts